Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: RickStare on July 19, 2017, 06:45:44 pm

Title: Epson 3880 - How to switch to Matte Black when Photo Black is out of ink
Post by: RickStare on July 19, 2017, 06:45:44 pm
Long time Epson 3880 user, just encountered a frustrating problem. I NEVER use Photo Black, but I had noticed recently that the Photo Black ink level was getting low, but I didn't care because I don't use it.  Today, I inserted a sheet of heavyweight matte paper, the printer began a little cleaning cycle and then displayed that Photo Black ink is out. I only want to make a print using Matte Black, I don't want to drive 45 min. downtown to buy Photo Black I don't need, and I don't want to wait a few days for a shipment. I can't get into the printer Menu to switch over to Matte Black. I'm assuming the printer must have thought it was in Photo Black mode in order for it to run out, unless ALL Black inks are used during cleaning cycle. Anyway, is there a way to bypass the REPLACE INK CARTRIDGE message on the LCD and switch over to Matte Black so I can get on with printing?? Then replace Photo Black in a few days. I tried turning printer off and back on, but MENU button is unresponsive as long as the ink warning is on display.

Thanks for any help.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 - How to switch to Matte Black when Photo Black is out of ink
Post by: Farmer on July 19, 2017, 08:29:17 pm
A couple of simple answers (which won't make you happy, but it is what it is, sorry):

It does periodically switch between PK and MK in order to ensure that the lines don't perma-clog due to years old ink in case someone does eventually want to change.

You must have both carts with some ink in them for the printer to function.

You cannot override this error condition.

You will need to replace the PK.  It will then last as long as the previous one before you need this again.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 - How to switch to Matte Black when Photo Black is out of ink
Post by: RickStare on July 20, 2017, 12:39:48 am
Quote
A couple of simple answers (which won't make you happy, but it is what it is, sorry):

It does periodically switch between PK and MK in order to ensure that the lines don't perma-clog due to years old ink in case someone does eventually want to change.

You must have both carts with some ink in them for the printer to function.

You cannot override this error condition.

You will need to replace the PK.  It will then last as long as the previous one before you need this again.

Thanks, Phil. You are right, it's not what I wanted to hear but doesn't surprise me.  Just another "investment" that buys me the ability to keep printing.

Rick
Title: Re: Epson 3880 - How to switch to Matte Black when Photo Black is out of ink
Post by: Jeffrey Saldinger on July 20, 2017, 07:29:09 am
I had some related help last October on my question about not using matte black.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114096.msg939002#msg939002
Title: Re: Epson 3880 - How to switch to Matte Black when Photo Black is out of ink
Post by: RickStare on July 20, 2017, 07:52:06 pm
Quote
I had some related help last October on my question about not using matte black.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114096.msg939002#msg939002

Thanks, Jeffrey, that's good info, and all makes sense.

Rick
Title: Re: Epson 3880 - How to switch to Matte Black when Photo Black is out of ink
Post by: RickStare on July 20, 2017, 07:57:41 pm
Bought a new PK cart today, installed it, ran a nozzle check and everything's ready to go. After the install, the printer displays "Matte Black" on the LCD, so just as Phil said, the printer obviously uses small amounts of PK ink even tho' I never print with it.  My fear that it had spontaneously switched black ink modes was unfounded.  It makes sense that Epson engineered it to keep all the ink lines viable.

Thanks again for the help and info.

Rick
Title: Re: Epson 3880 - How to switch to Matte Black when Photo Black is out of ink
Post by: Jeffrey Saldinger on July 20, 2017, 10:02:16 pm
You're welcome, Rick.  Glad I could help.