Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 19, 2017, 02:39:00 pm

Title: barn
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 19, 2017, 02:39:00 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: barn
Post by: RSL on July 19, 2017, 03:05:47 pm
Nice, Jeremy. I really like the composition in this one.
Title: Re: barn
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 19, 2017, 05:03:17 pm
Nice, Jeremy. I really like the composition in this one.
I do too.
Title: Re: barn
Post by: James Clark on July 19, 2017, 05:17:34 pm
Dunno.. Seems a little crowded on the sides, empty at top, and the leading line is thin and long.  I'd square crop it, I think.   

(This sounds like I think it's no good - I don't - it's a cool idea, I'm just not sold on the framing)
Title: Re: barn
Post by: pcgpcg on July 19, 2017, 06:29:18 pm
I like it too, but I agree it feels crowded. I like the vertical crop, but open it up if you have more there.
Title: Re: barn
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 19, 2017, 07:05:21 pm
Let me quote a frequent contributor to these forums: "It's a barn." ;)
Title: Re: barn
Post by: RSL on July 19, 2017, 07:51:45 pm
It's a barn, but it's not a cropped barn. No barn is finished without cropping. At least that seems to be the general consensus. Good grief Charlie Brown!
Title: Re: barn
Post by: Farmer on July 19, 2017, 08:21:37 pm
I wouldn't crop (and not just because of a recent backlit discussion :-) ).  The business is nice against the relieving space at the top.  The palette is wonderful, with the little touch of faded red/orange and the tiny bit of green through the window and the window/missing brick/something behind it on the back wall.

I think the perspective, and angle of the shot are complimentary and effective.
Title: Re: barn
Post by: James Clark on July 19, 2017, 09:41:03 pm
It's a barn, but it's not a cropped barn. No barn is finished without cropping. At least that seems to be the general consensus. Good grief Charlie Brown!

Not every barn need be cropped, but some photographs benefit greatly from it ;)
Title: Re: barn
Post by: MarkJohnson on July 20, 2017, 05:01:38 am
Not contributed to this section before but compositional use of wall strongly reminds me of my favourite amongst Canaletto's London pictures: https://www.wikiart.org/en/canaletto/london-whitehall-and-the-privy-garden-looking-north. (Better reproduction on Bowhill House site, if you can navigate to it: http://blht.org/collection/paintings/.) My two centimes worth..
Title: Re: barn
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 20, 2017, 02:25:21 pm
Not contributed to this section before but compositional use of wall strongly reminds me of my favourite amongst Canaletto's London pictures: https://www.wikiart.org/en/canaletto/london-whitehall-and-the-privy-garden-looking-north. (Better reproduction on Bowhill House site, if you can navigate to it: http://blht.org/collection/paintings/.) My two centimes worth..

Ha! Yes, I see the resemblance.

Jeremy
Title: Re: barn
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 20, 2017, 02:54:42 pm
Here are another two, taken from lower down (so the patch of green through the window isn't as visible, sadly) and with less of a leading line from the wall but more context. I'll be back, I think: it has more potential than I achieved on this occasion.

Jeremy
Title: Re: barn
Post by: RSL on July 20, 2017, 04:13:30 pm
Pretty blah, Jeremy. Your first one was the winner. Composition in the last two is really ho-hum.
Title: Re: barn
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 20, 2017, 04:47:55 pm
Pretty blah, Jeremy. Your first one was the winner. Composition in the last two is really ho-hum.
I have to agree with Russ.


Eric
Title: Re: barn
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 21, 2017, 03:04:50 pm
I have to agree with Russ.

So do I: that's why I posted the first one. These were just to show a little context.

Jeremy
Title: Re: barn
Post by: James Clark on July 21, 2017, 04:20:57 pm
Bah.  You're all wrong!

;)
Title: Re: barn
Post by: RSL on July 21, 2017, 04:41:23 pm
James, have you ever considered "cropping" your photographs on the camera? It's not impossible to do, and you end up with a picture that fits the frame you used to make it. When you look through that viewfinder do you say to yourself: "Now let's see. . . how can I make this picture work? Oh! I can crop it there, and there, and there, and it'll end up with a square picture?" Or do you wait until you have the picture out of the camera, on your computer, and say to yourself: "Now let's see. If I crop it here and here and here I'll have a square picture?" Seems to me the time to crop is when you're looking through that viewfinder. If you want square pictures, buy a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 camera. If you want 4 x 5 pictures, buy a 4 x 5 camera. If you want 4 by 3 pictures, buy a four-thirds camera. I think that's what Jeremy did here. He framed to the viewfinder, and I think he was exactly right. The back field puts the barn in context, and the squiggly line of the beautiful fence introduces you to the structure.

In the second iteration we have two different pictures: the barn, introduced by a fairly short stone fence that blocks the barn door on camera left, and a field in the background camera right. Both are moderately interesting, but they don't belong together. In the third iteration we have iteration number two, plus another whole world in the background that has nothing at all to do with the barn itself.

Jeremy nailed it on the first iteration of this picture. It doesn't need cropping. It doesn't need to be square. It doesn't need anything it doesn't already have. It's a finished product!

 8)