Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: gdi on July 01, 2017, 12:30:57 pm
-
I am have added media to my printer (Pro-4000) via the Media Configuration Tool (both Breathing Color Lyve and a couple of Canon papers) with no problem. Now I am trying unsuccessfully to update the driver with those media types on my Mac (OS is Sierra 10.12.5).
The manual says that I do that through the Canon IJ Printer Utility3 from the Printers and Scanner panel in System Preferences and select the utility and choose "Update Media Information. However, that option does not exist in the Utility - the only option are Cleaning and Accounting! I have version 16.10.1 of the Printer Utility.
Does anyone know how I might get past this? I'd like to print some profiling targets from iProfiler and this has me dead in my tracks.
Thanks
-
In Prefs, Printers & Scanners for the Pro-Canon printer, open the Utility - you will see the uppermost screen that says "Cleaning". There is a blue box with two arrows. Click on it, and you will have a drop down with all the tools. One of them is Media Information. Click on it and follow the instruction. Please see illustration here for the three steps. If you don't have all these options, make sure you are not using the airprint driver. You must be using the Series driver.
-
Thanks you very much, Mark - for some reason I was not seeing those options. I just deleted the printer and did a re-install and now I have the options.
Now I see the the new media in the driver, EXCEPT when printing from iProfiler - I do not see the BC Custom media that I added. There is no Custom category available at all when the driver is started from iProfiler, but it is there for other applications.
Maybe this is part of the process iProfiler turning off color management, but it seems this will cause a problem with my printed target, no?
-
For profiling the Canon Pro series printers I recommend using Canon's Print Studio Pro with Colour Management turned to No Color Controls. There is an option for this in the right-side menu of PSP. With these printers, this is the most assured way of printing profiling targets with no management.
-
Well that would give me the option to use the media file. I'll save my target in iProfiler to a tiff and then import to LR to print with PSP.
Thanks again
-
Well that would give me the option to use the media file. I'll save my target in iProfiler to a tiff and then import to LR to print with PSP.
Thanks again
Don't use LR for printing profiling targets. Install PSP as a Photoshop Plugin, open the TIFF target images in Photoshop unmanaged, then open PSP where the images will load and then print.
-
Don't use LR for printing profiling targets. Install PSP as a Photoshop Plugin, open the TIFF target images in Photoshop unmanaged, then open PSP where the images will load and then print.
Thanks yet again, Mark.
But, doesn't the Lightroom PSP plugin work the same way? I thought I could import the file to LR and then load into PSP from there, turn off color mgt, and print from PSP. Maybe I am missing something?
Anyway, I tried using iProfiler on a Windows machine and it all worked well - the custom media profiles were available. To me, this seems the easiest way to print the profiles with confidence that they are truly unmanaged.
-
..........
But, doesn't the Lightroom PSP plugin work the same way? I thought I could import the file to LR and then load into PSP from there, turn off color mgt, and print from PSP. Maybe I am missing something? ............
There have been issues using PSP from LR. For the combination of OSX and the Canon Pro Series printers the safest approach is to print the targets unmanaged from PSP via Photoshop.
-
That's good to know, Mark!
-
This is a gem of a thread. Have the same problem trying to add custom paper to my pro-2000 then profile it using a colormunki photo. All goes well apart from finding the newly MCT created paper type within the munki print dialog. It rarely appears as a Custom paper. Initially thought it was a country issue (live in UK) whereby Canon only sell certain papers in world regions (US/Europe/Asia). After attempting to profile several papers and this thread i'm now sure its not that, but something within the munki software that is excluding certain custom paper types. Possibly in its attempt to print without an underlying colour profile.
I have tried to get a target out of colormunki to print through PSP, but that does not seem possible from their website. Any ideas as I1photo pro is another bag of coins.
Regards John