Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Stonecreek on June 23, 2017, 11:18:53 am

Title: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: Stonecreek on June 23, 2017, 11:18:53 am
I would like to know what the empty weight is of the pfi 706 cartridge for canon ipf 8400
I have bought some used cart off ebay seller says they are 25-35% remaining but I think they are empty  (can't hear any ink when you shake cart)

Thanks in advance for any help




Thanks for any replies
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge
Post by: stockjock on June 23, 2017, 01:24:29 pm
I would like to know what the empty weight is of the pfi 706 cartridge for canon ipf 8400

Empty PFI-306 cartridges are 114 grams.  I don't have an empty 706 but I bet you could extrapolate from the different lengths and adjust downward a bit for the white part and get close.  The length of the 306 is 10.7 cm not including the round protrusion.
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: Stonecreek on June 23, 2017, 05:16:53 pm
Thanks for the reply  but I really need empty weight of 706 cart.  I bought some used ones off an ebay seller and he is claiming 200-300ml left in cart but really they are empty.
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: stockjock on June 23, 2017, 06:42:22 pm
I have to take back my suggestion about estimating the weight.  I had forgotten the 706's have that handle that probably makes an accurate estimate impossible.  Unfortunately all my 796's still have ink in them so I can't be of more help.
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: Stonecreek on June 24, 2017, 03:27:54 pm
thanks for your response
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: Landscapes on June 24, 2017, 07:15:38 pm
Can we work backwards here?  I have the PFI 206 carts for the 6400.  A brand new and full cart I just weighed is 394g.  A completely empty cart is 74g.  So this is a difference of 320g for a cart that should be 300ml.  This gives a density of 1.07g per ml.

The PFI-706 cart is 700ml.  Assume the same density, (and assume its also exactly filled with 700ml, or has the same bit of overfill as my cart), this means the ink should weigh 749g.  So just weight a full cart, subtract 749g, and you should have the weight of the empty cart.  Certainly this would be good enough to prove if they are almost empty or have 200ml in them.
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: Stonecreek on June 24, 2017, 10:27:46 pm
thanks for the response  but I do not have a full 706 cart to weigh 
hopefully someone else could give the weight of full cart
the carts I received weigh around 212g +-
   
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: Landscapes on June 25, 2017, 01:31:45 pm

the carts I received weigh around 212g +-
 

Well its pretty obvious there isn't going to be 200ml of ink in the cart if it only weighs 212g.  It would mean the empty cart weighs 12 grams!

Considering that my 300ml cart when empty weighs 74g, and the other poster mentioned his PFI-306 is 114 grams, which is designed for 330ml, then the PFI-706 cart must be at least another 20 or 30 grams over this to account for the extra length the cart needs to be.  If we use a very round figure of 150g, you are clearly getting less than 100ml in each cart, give or take.

To be fair to the guy, if he thinks it was 25% full, and is basing this on just the little picture icon, then this probably easily has a 20% margin of error.  There are only about 5 or 6 different levels of full on that graphic icon, so anything above the lowest might look like its at least 25% full.
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: stockjock on June 25, 2017, 02:28:38 pm
I realize this is a little off topic but I have been saving my empty PFI-306 cartridges.  Is there any use or resale market for the empties other than trying to defraud someone on eBay?  If not is there an acceptable way to recycle them?
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: Stonecreek on June 25, 2017, 04:33:39 pm
thank you for your responses 
I have ordered  a full 706 cart will it be here in a couple of days after that hopefully I can get the seller to acknowledge that they are empty and get a full refund
Title: Re: canon pfi 706 ink cartridge Canon ipf 8400
Post by: Stonecreek on July 01, 2017, 05:05:07 am
Received my new 706 cart  it weighs 939 grams (33.1 oz.)  - 735ml (24.9oz) =8.2 empty  I used a 5% over fill amount
This all based on my scale 
This proved my point to the ebay seller that he shipped me empty carts but he still refused to acknowledge that they were empty. 
I had ebay step in and now I am getting a full refund :)