Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jglaser757 on June 20, 2017, 11:10:47 pm
-
Hi, I am moving an epson 9900. I was told that the tanks have to be drained when tilting machine vertically. I bought a set of cleaning catrtrdges from ink owl . They said I just needed to insert them and do a service cleaning and I can do it. Decision one saidthat a tech needs to do the procedure because their is more involved . Who is right. Did I get the right set of cartridges?
Help!
-
I was just told by a technician that draining the tanks runs the risk of ruining the printhead too..And more and more people say remove maintenance tanks stuff them with towells or paper towels and just move it vertically quickly.
-
The problem with tilting an Epson is that, of course, you take the risk of leaking ink all over the place (and on you--been there, done that). The safest way is to just remove all the ink from the system. You can do this by replacing the ink cartridges with something like this: http://shop.inkjetmall.com/ReUsable-Cart-Kit-with-Reset-Chips-X900-Set-11.html
You can fill them with some sort of cleaning solution like a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water or (the more expensive solution) Cone's Piezoflush: http://shop.inkjetmall.com/PiezoFlush-kit-for-Epson-Pro-7900-9900.html
But as you've already bought tanks just use the Simple Green.
Go into Maintenance Mode and do a ink replacement. This will fill up your maintenance tank but all you have to do is reset it:
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-Maintenance-Tank-Chip-Resetter-7910-7900-9900-7890-9890-7908-9908-11880-/171355213621?hash=item27e5910f35)
and refill it with Kleenex (I've been doing this for years).
Then if you spill anything it will just be cleaning solution instead of something that will stain everything it touches.
-
I have spoken to quite a few techs and have gotten recommendations about tilting and not tilting the printer in the last few days..The general consensus, techs say not to tilt, users say its not a worry.
1)The cost to remove inks myself is $275 but there is still liquid in the unit that could spill.
2)The cost to drain the lines with Decision One is about $1200 but, the printer head could get damaged being that is will be dry.
3)The cost to remove a window and hire workers to more printer about $700. The printer could get jostled, dropped and bumped around and could damage printer.
4)The cost to hire 4 people to tilt printer and move it out of room is $376. This could cause ink to leak and destroy printer.
5) The cost to RIP OUT A WALL AND ROLL IT OUT OF THE ROOM $400. Damage to wall but repaired. NO Damage to printer.
SO , I am cutting a large whole in the wall and just rolling this beast out of the room. The wife wont know about it because it will be done before she gets home from work..There are other possibilities and issues like electrical but those are located about two feet away.