Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattBurt on June 13, 2017, 11:34:36 am

Title: Summer is here (finally)
Post by: MattBurt on June 13, 2017, 11:34:36 am
It hasn't snowed for a few weeks so I think this is really it. To commemorate summer's arrival my family and a few others had a fun campout last weekend. The camp spot is only a couple of miles from town but feels pretty remote, especially at night. I took advantage of the spot and enjoyed shooting the moonlit landscape after everyone had gone to bed.
That's our town, Gunnison in the distance.
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4235/34404221074_a4ced8e894_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/UqbCiq)IMGP4494-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/UqbCiq) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Summer is here (finally)
Post by: HSakols on June 13, 2017, 11:50:57 am
I'm glad you got out.  I had an overnight planned, but now the HWY into the park is closed due to lots of rockfall.  What town is below you?
Title: Re: Summer is here (finally)
Post by: MattBurt on June 13, 2017, 12:19:44 pm
I'm glad you got out.  I had an overnight planned, but now the HWY into the park is closed due to lots of rockfall.  What town is below you?

Thanks, too bad about your plans! That is the town I live in, Gunnison, Co.
Title: Re: Summer is here (finally)
Post by: RSL on June 13, 2017, 03:41:52 pm
It's a fun shot, Matt. I've never seen Gunnison at night, but I used to drive through it from Manitou Springs on my way to Grand Junction with pictures for a gallery over there.
Title: Re: Summer is here (finally)
Post by: francois on June 15, 2017, 10:26:23 am
Very nice… Away from the civilized world but so close at the same time.
Title: Re: Summer is here (finally)
Post by: MattBurt on June 15, 2017, 11:52:15 am
It's a fun shot, Matt. I've never seen Gunnison at night, but I used to drive through it from Manitou Springs on my way to Grand Junction with pictures for a gallery over there.

Thanks! There still really isn't a whole lot to see, day or night. But the surrounding area makes up for it!

Very nice… Away from the civilized world but so close at the same time.

Thanks and yes, this place offers a feeling of wildness in a convenient location. I feel fortunate to live here.
Title: Re: Summer is here (finally)
Post by: 32BT on June 15, 2017, 12:38:56 pm
Very nice… Away from the civilized world but so close at the same time.

+1
Nice similarities in tree, cloud, and rock-formation. Every now and then, not very often mind you, in a vague moment of reminiscence i believe that there may actually be some kind of yet to be discovered connection between vegetation patterns, erosion patterns, and hence weatherpatterns. I like it when a landscape shot depicts that idea...