Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on June 09, 2017, 06:47:56 pm

Title: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: RSL on June 09, 2017, 06:47:56 pm
.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: graeme on June 09, 2017, 08:26:14 pm
I wish I had that view from my front porch - actually I wish I had a porch. Must be a nice way to start the day.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 10, 2017, 03:31:17 am
That's lovely, Russ.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: RSL on June 10, 2017, 09:06:43 am
Thanks all. I should have added that it's Dawn at 200mm from my front porch.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 10, 2017, 09:52:31 am
Beautiful ray of light in the distance.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: HSakols on June 10, 2017, 09:56:32 am
Russ,
I"m glad you have the beautiful outdoors close by!  I'm impressed that you are older than my mother yet you contribute so much to this forum.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: RPark on June 10, 2017, 12:22:27 pm
That must be very nice to wake up to!

Great use of light and shade. 👍
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: RSL on June 10, 2017, 03:42:11 pm
Again, thanks to all who responded.

And Slobodan, that first ray hits right there on that side of my little river. In another ten days we'll pass our longest day and the dawn view will start to change again.

And Raymond, you're right. Morning on my little river is striking. But we've had a solid week of rain, and I made this shot our first sunny morning.

And Hugh, thanks for the compliment. There are those who'd disagree with you about my contributions to the forum. Most of them are over on The Coffee Corner.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: James Clark on June 11, 2017, 12:28:15 am
Russ, it's a beautiful image (the post processing work is absolutely perfect) and looks like a lovely place to live.  As for your contributions, I rather enjoy them, even if I frequently disagree with your perspective.  But I'm one of those liberals who actually does still find the greatest value in the open exchange of diverse ideas.  Safe spaces aren't my thing ;)
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: Kiwi Paul on June 11, 2017, 02:27:50 am
A nice photo and a lovely place to live for sure.
The leaves on the trees in the foreground have some blur, I gather it was a slow shutter speed and the leaves were moving in the breeze?
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: RSL on June 11, 2017, 11:10:58 am
Hi Paul,

It was a Nikon 70-200mm f/4 at 200mm, f/11, 1/125 sec, ISO 6400. (An ISO that isn't too bad on the D750, especially if you have DxO Optics Pro available to beat down noise. Didn't need it in this case.) The reason the close-in leaves are out of focus is because they were out of the depth of field, not because they were moving. It was a dead still morning. And yes, it's always a beautiful world here.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on June 11, 2017, 11:49:51 am
 Hi russ, looks like I'm late to the party :) What  great shot, I know you're in Fla. May I ask approximately where?

 Kevin In CT
 Kevin Gallagher
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: RSL on June 11, 2017, 02:23:43 pm
Hi Kevin, I'm in a retirement community just south of Leesburg. We were lucky enough to get a lot on the Palatlakaha river. It's a pretty small river, but big enough that pontoon boats traverse it. It runs for a long stretch in Florida, flowing south to north.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: luxborealis on June 11, 2017, 09:46:44 pm
Lovely morning and view, Russ. You even managed to keep the steam rising from your coffee out if the view!
Enjoy!
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: MattBurt on June 13, 2017, 11:31:15 am
I like that little patch of light. Nice.
Title: Re: Dawn From My Front Porch
Post by: RSL on June 13, 2017, 03:34:41 pm
That's why I ran back inside and grabbed my camera, Matt. I like it too.

And Terry, yeah, my coffee was steaming. I call the porch I shot this from my front porch, but it's really at the back of the house. On the other hand, it faces the river, so I consider it to be the front porch, and the street side with its little entryway porch the back of the house. My front porch runs the width of the house and its a great place to sit and just look at the beauty that's all around us.