Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jglaser757 on June 06, 2017, 05:45:52 am

Title: Thinking of getting rid of epson 9900 printer.
Post by: Jglaser757 on June 06, 2017, 05:45:52 am
Its been a long time since I posted in this forum because I have not needed the help. I post on other forums a little bit.

I have an Epson 9900 printer. It is 44" wide. and Im thinking of selling it.. It will be 3 yrs old in October, I bought it to produce my own prints for a number of shows and sell them to clients.  The first part worked out very well, but selling to clients, not so much,especially within the last year or so  :( ..  I really thought it would be possible, but three years later, countless prints and expenses and nothing.. I must say that there is something gratifying making your own prints. Its the closest thing to a darkroom without the chemicals. I am not one to sell at fairs and what not. I do market myself online and a few shows during the year but nothing has cultivated from that. I know it can take many years to achieve some semblance of success but the warranty is up in October and I have not made one for a client in over a year. I could use some help in this decision to keep it or sell it ..Im not sure. I do not plan on being a commercial printer either.

Reasons for selling:

1)I need it repaired- its no cost to me because it is under platinum service warranty
2)that warranty( 3 yrs) runs out in October
3)It takes up a lot of room.
4)Expenses
5)Nobody has bought custom prints from me.
6)I have not used it to make new framed prints in a year. I still have my old inventory.
7)It could break down out of warranty and cost $$$ which I dont want to spend $$. I could use that $$ for a trip
8) I could search for a lab to do large scale prints if needed and work that cost into the price of a signed print.

Reasons not to sell

1)I could get request for print
2) It is rather expensive to have someone else print for me
3)Its difficult getting other company to match what is on the screen.( if you dont have their printing profile it is impossible. I am being anal about this one. Clients dont care
4)Its gratifying making my own print.
5) I could be on the verge of getting clients.
6)Its cheaper to print myself if I get more than one customer.


Can I get some feedback please.
Title: Re: Thinking of getting rid of epson 9900 printer.
Post by: howardm on June 06, 2017, 07:56:42 am
sounds like a pretty good list of reasons to sell it and a weak set of reasons to keep it.
Title: Re: Thinking of getting rid of epson 9900 printer.
Post by: langier on June 06, 2017, 09:31:03 am
I bought my 9900 on a whim...getting the PO for the project I was going to use it for as I drove the 130 miles to pick it up. It was secondhand and out of warrantee. It's now been six years since the project was completed and I still use it several times a week for my own work (and to keep in practice, keep ink flowing) and many projects for clients and the community I could not do before its purchase. Mine is still going strong and I do paying work unique to my market so for me it make sense. I've had it serviced by the local printer wizard just once since I had it and it's still going strong.

However, maybe you should get a smaller printer for your own work, selling your 9900 if you can find a willing buyer. It's a specialized printer that takes room and four "pallbearers" to move and set up. If you can't find a buyer, keep it but keep the ink moving regularly through it so it won't become a very large door stop.
Title: Re: Thinking of getting rid of epson 9900 printer.
Post by: Jglaser757 on June 06, 2017, 12:13:36 pm
Thanks for the honest replies,,Im not even printing that much right now,,once every two or three weeks for class(we show prints and discuss)
Title: Re: Thinking of getting rid of epson 9900 printer.
Post by: mearussi on June 07, 2017, 08:55:01 am
I'd get it serviced while still under warranty and then sell it. That way at least you know you're selling a printer in good shape, plus you'll be able to get more money for it by advertising that it's been recently serviced.

And if you find you're needing to print later you can always buy a more modern printer.
Title: Re: Thinking of getting rid of epson 9900 printer.
Post by: howardm on June 07, 2017, 11:26:32 am
I agree w/ Mike.  Get it serviced to bring to a known good state and sell it (although finding a buyer on stuff like CL may be difficult)
Title: Re: Thinking of getting rid of epson 9900 printer.
Post by: Jglaser757 on June 07, 2017, 12:33:42 pm
Thats what Im going to do..thanks
Title: Re: Thinking of getting rid of epson 9900 printer.
Post by: jwittes on June 15, 2017, 12:36:29 pm
If you do decide for sure to sell the printer, please contact me.