Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Dave Gurtcheff on June 05, 2017, 04:33:49 pm

Title: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on June 05, 2017, 04:33:49 pm
Hi all: My trusty 3800 died a while back and I replaced it with a P800. I usually use Epson Premium Luster paper, but I have a nice B&W that I wanted to use Exhibition Fiber. To my dismay, there is no ICC profile in the Epson driver, and their web site has no down loads for that paper. The instructions say to choose premium Glossy, which I did, but then was left to choose a profile---I chose Premium Luster. Have you found an Epson profile? What settings have you used?
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 05, 2017, 04:47:41 pm
If you still have the Exhibition Fiber profile for the 3800, try using it with the P800 and see what it does for you.
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on June 05, 2017, 05:10:39 pm
If you still have the Exhibition Fiber profile for the 3800, try using it with the P800 and see what it does for you.
Thanks Mark. I will have a look to see if I still have it.
Dave
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Jeff-Grant on June 05, 2017, 05:13:26 pm
Without boring you witless, EEF has changed. The profile for the 3800 is probably for the original paper.
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: howardm on June 05, 2017, 05:40:19 pm
I have a hard time believing there is no built-in profile for P800/EEF.

Are you sure you don't have the Airprint driver vs. the full featured one?
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 05, 2017, 06:40:53 pm
Good point Howard.

One other point I was hesitant to raise is the question of what's so special about Exhibition Fiber? If it resembles its original formulation it's chock-a-bloc full of OBAs. Legacy Platine may be a better choice, and for that one there is no question about the profile being there.
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: pearlstreet on June 05, 2017, 06:49:13 pm
I have a profile titled Sc-P800 Series Exhibition Fiber Paper PK v2 installed on my windows machine. I think it came with my printer but I may have downloaded it from Epson...funny it's not listed now.
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 05, 2017, 06:55:01 pm
Yes, I just checked - there is also the same profile for SC-P800/OSX. With Epson, it does come packed with the driver (not a download from the Epson website), buried very deep, but it's there and on-call.
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: John Chardine on June 05, 2017, 08:11:50 pm
It's there as an option in Lr.
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 05, 2017, 09:03:56 pm
It's there as an option in Lr.

Actually, to be precise about it, the LR interface is giving one convenient access to the profiles located in the driver software and/or included in Library>Colorsync>Profiles at both the System and User levels. They only become usable in LR once one uses that interface to select them for inclusion in the LR profile selection drop-downs, by checking the little boxes beside them as shown in your illustration. 
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: howardm on June 06, 2017, 07:43:41 am
it's really too bad that Adobe hasn't/can't/won't come up w/ a multi-tiered pulldown menuing system for the profiles.  What LR does is a baby step.  the existing system in Photoshop is a PITA.
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 06, 2017, 08:19:35 am
Howard, I don't understand, what a "multi-tiered" access to profiles would do that isn't readily available with the present set-up in Lightroom? You go to Print>Profile>Other and every profile you've ever loaded into the computer is there in a list ready to be selected. Seems pretty easy to me.
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on June 06, 2017, 11:22:15 am
Thanks all: When I went looking for my old 3800 profile I went to C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color\, and there were 30 different P800 paper profiles including SC-P800 series Exhibition Fiber PK V2.icc. I rebooted my PC after a Virus Program upgrade, and (My PC has a mind of its own), the 30 profiles now are in Photoshop's selection when printing.
Thanks for your help!
Dave
Title: Re: Epson P800 & Exhibition Fiber Paper
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 06, 2017, 11:31:38 am
Glad you got it sorted out.