Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Kiwi Paul on June 03, 2017, 05:07:51 am
-
A lone yacht on an empty sea.
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4217/34889679432_e3b3d05ea3_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Va5Ja7)
-
Love image, nice texture. I took the liberty to crop the image, hope you don't mind. This begs for a long narrow Horz crop. This lets the textures of the water add a feel. The sky was too heavy. I also darken the exposure and increased contrast to add drama. Just my two cents. I would also hit the high end of the curves and lift it to pop the sailboat.
-
It's a fine shot, Paul. I don't agree with Kevin's crop though. Or the darkening, I should add.
-
Beautiful image
-
I do like the image as is. But I am also quite afflicted with twittleosis, so on the one hand I like the idea of the horizontal crop, but on the other hand I really think the horizon line should be retained. The horizon line and a bit of sky I think really lends to the impression of vastness as much as the horizontal crop. So take some at the top leaving the horizon line and take some at the bottom to get the horizontal crop and balance the image. Maybe pull a gradient from the top and darken it a bit.
Later Larry
-
It's a fine shot, Paul. I don't agree with Kevin's crop though. Or the darkening, I should add.
+1.
Leave it as it is & print it big.
-
+1.
Leave it as it is & print it big.
+2.
-
Leaving it as is makes for a "one-look wonder". It needs something more, some mood perhaps. It could also use some shape, as the photograph is very flat.
The darkening I agree with, but not the severe crop. I see Kevin's point in making it less "obvious" or "direct", but without the horizon, it would appear more like a photographic mistake or oversight. A 16:9 would work provided the horizon is still there.
Adding a graduated mask to the "foreground" and background seems to help. But, as it is, it just doesn't do it for me. All these "additions" seem likely to make a 6 into an 7 when, perhaps, you're looking for an 8 or 9.
In the samples below, done in LR, the first is with grad masks only and a an adjustment bush along the "background" water. The second is the same. lightened by 0.5 in Exposure.
-
A lone yacht on an empty sea.
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4217/34889679432_e3b3d05ea3_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Va5Ja7)
Nice photo. Leave it alone. It's fine.
-
Leaving it as is makes for a "one-look wonder". It needs something more, some mood perhaps. It could also use some shape, as the photograph is very flat.
The darkening I agree with, but not the severe crop. I see Kevin's point in making it less "obvious" or "direct", but without the horizon, it would appear more like a photographic mistake or oversight. A 16:9 would work provided the horizon is still there.
Adding a graduated mask to the "foreground" and background seems to help. But, as it is, it just doesn't do it for me. All these "additions" seem likely to make a 6 into an 7 when, perhaps, you're looking for an 8 or 9.
In the samples below, done in LR, the first is with grad masks only and a an adjustment bush along the "background" water. The second is the same. lightened by 0.5 in Exposure.
Thanks for the comments and edits, I do like the top edit you made, it does add a bit more depth to the composition and the 16 x 9 format works well.