Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: RobSaecker on June 01, 2017, 12:22:04 pm

Title: V500, stuck pixels
Post by: RobSaecker on June 01, 2017, 12:22:04 pm
I’ve been doing some scans with the lid up, and yesterday I started getting scans with a couple green stripes the length of the scan. 100% crop greatly enhanced to show the effect below. I saw one suggestion online the carefully cleaning the top window might help, but it’s made no difference here. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Title: Re: V500, stuck pixels
Post by: Farmer on June 02, 2017, 07:09:37 pm
There's probably some dust on the sensor.  You can, very carefully, try turning the unit upside down and give it a gentle tap or shake (not whilst powered up, of course), and see if it dislodges it.  You can't really remove the glass and clean it yourself (and not without risk of further contamination).

Be very gentle, be very careful - you're just hoping to dislodge a speck or two of dust (maybe).
Title: Re: V500, stuck pixels
Post by: RobSaecker on June 02, 2017, 08:35:01 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. Coincidentally, or not, I turned the scanner on this morning, and nothing happened. The status indicator light is green, but the scanner never initializes, and the computer doesn’t recognize any scanner attached. So it’s dead, AFAICT.

At least now, I don’t have any excuse not to upgrade.  ::)
Title: Re: V500, stuck pixels
Post by: Farmer on June 02, 2017, 09:48:07 pm
OK - then that's more likely an electrical or electronic failure.  I'd still give it a go (upside down, tap, etc.) - nothing to lose :-)
Title: Re: V500, stuck pixels
Post by: RobSaecker on June 03, 2017, 12:50:17 pm
Nada, it’s kaput. I may take it apart, just for kicks, but I don’t have any hope of getting it to work again.