Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Vieri Bottazzini on May 28, 2017, 03:23:35 am

Title: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on May 28, 2017, 03:23:35 am
An amazing pastel cloudy sky over Manly Beacon, at Zabriskie Point in Death Valley NP, just before sunrise.

(https://vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/SL_02293.jpg)

With the Leica SL and the Voigtlander 15mm v. III. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: 32BT on May 28, 2017, 10:43:53 am
An amazing pastel cloudy sky over Manly Beacon, at Zabriskie Point in Death Valley NP, just before sunrise.

Vieri

What's wrong with the top of the image that it had to be black? Wouldn't another color or even cropping be more appropriate?
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Telecaster on May 28, 2017, 04:36:30 pm
What's wrong with the top of the image that it had to be black? Wouldn't another color or even cropping be more appropriate?

The Voigt 15mm vignettes quite a bit. So I'm guessing the photo has been cropped a bit. I'd like to see the full frame. In principle I like not correcting the falloff, but this can end up looking odd when cropping is involved.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on May 29, 2017, 03:56:59 am
Wonderful light and colours. I think the top going darker has to do with that part of the sky transitioning into night?
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on May 30, 2017, 03:54:05 am
What's wrong with the top of the image that it had to be black? Wouldn't another color or even cropping be more appropriate?

Nothing is wrong in my opinion, of course, that's just as I like it but I can appreciate it that not everyone might feel the same way ;)

The Voigt 15mm vignettes quite a bit. So I'm guessing the photo has been cropped a bit. I'd like to see the full frame. In principle I like not correcting the falloff, but this can end up looking odd when cropping is involved.

-Dave-

Wonderful light and colours. I think the top going darker has to do with that part of the sky transitioning into night?

Dave, the Voigtlander vignettes quite a bit but there is no cropping - I corrected for it developing the RAW, which cleaned it on the lower part of the image but not completely eliminated on the top because of what Paulo said, and then added it back again some on the top of the image because that's the way I like it. As I said, of course I appreciate it that others might feel differently about it, no problem :)

Paulo, thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed it :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Telecaster on May 30, 2017, 03:59:07 pm
Having a look at the whole photo, rather than scrolling it from side to side on screen, I'm good with it as is. Aside from maybe allowing the bottom corners to darken a bit more.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: 32BT on May 30, 2017, 05:00:17 pm
Nothing is wrong in my opinion, of course, that's just as I like it but I can appreciate it that not everyone might feel the same way ;)

Dave, the Voigtlander vignettes quite a bit but there is no cropping - I corrected for it developing the RAW, which cleaned it on the lower part of the image but not completely eliminated on the top because of what Paulo said, and then added it back again some on the top of the image because that's the way I like it. As I said, of course I appreciate it that others might feel differently about it, no problem :)

Okay, so if it's meant as a (somewhat) realistic representation then you might want to look into the increase in saturation of the pink clouds at the dark top, and the decrease of the blue saturation of the sky. It probably should be a simple gradient layer with multiply blending. That should not adversely affect either. If you use a gradient layer, I would at least try a darkblue instead of a neutral, but like you said, that's just a matter of taste as well. You might also try to add a minute bit of noise in that gradientlayer to eliminate the possibility of DR limitations becoming visible.

/pixelpeepermode off


Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 31, 2017, 02:52:34 pm
It's a gorgeous shot, Vieri. I don't see black at the top: I see a very dark blue and it looks perfectly natural to me.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on June 01, 2017, 03:19:13 am
Having a look at the whole photo, rather than scrolling it from side to side on screen, I'm good with it as is. Aside from maybe allowing the bottom corners to darken a bit more.

-Dave-

Thank you very much Dave, I am glad you enjoyed it :)

Okay, so if it's meant as a (somewhat) realistic representation ...

/pixelpeepermode off


It is not, the last thing I am after in my work is realistic representation of reality ;), but thank you for your suggestion, much appreciated indeed :)

It's a gorgeous shot, Vieri. I don't see black at the top: I see a very dark blue and it looks perfectly natural to me.

Jeremy

Thank you very much Jeremy, I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: francois on June 01, 2017, 07:16:58 am
I love it. Personally, I don't see the dark top of the frame as a problem. In fact, my eyes don't stay there very long, they are more attracted by the pink clouds and the rest of the photo.
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on June 01, 2017, 07:45:18 am
I love it. Personally, I don't see the dark top of the frame as a problem. ...

Thank you very much Francois, glad you enjoyed it! :) And

... In fact, my eyes don't stay there very long, they are more attracted by the pink clouds and the rest of the photo.

is exactly the point of the darker top ;) Best regards,

Vieri
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: 32BT on June 01, 2017, 12:44:11 pm
I'm going to attempt to make a really bad play of words here:

Me: "But that black is just over the top!"

LuLa community: "Exactly, that black is just over the top..."

 ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Pastel dawn over Zabriskie
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on June 04, 2017, 02:40:02 am
I'm going to attempt to make a really bad play of words here:

Me: "But that black is just over the top!"

LuLa community: "Exactly, that black is just over the top..."

 ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ...and the photographer would then say: "well, it is in truth some very dark blue over the top..." ;D ;D ;D