Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Krug on May 27, 2017, 06:03:50 pm

Title: simple flowers
Post by: Krug on May 27, 2017, 06:03:50 pm
Your views and comments would be most welcome
Title: Re: simple flowers
Post by: Osprey on May 27, 2017, 08:43:30 pm
I think they're well done and well presented. To my eyes, they probably would work better in black and white but that's very much a matter of taste.
Title: Re: simple flowers
Post by: Krug on May 27, 2017, 09:45:00 pm
Funny that you should say that because that was my preference too - but I am very B+W orientated and thought that I would see what people thought of the colour versions before showing the monos.

Thanks for the comment.
Title: Re: simple flowers
Post by: Osprey on May 27, 2017, 09:47:18 pm
Yes, very nice.  I think an even higher contrast might work well, particularly for the bottom picture.
Title: Re: simple flowers
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 28, 2017, 12:16:36 am
For me the first one works better in color (the yellow adds a lot) but the second works best in B&W.
Title: Re: simple flowers
Post by: graeme on May 28, 2017, 05:34:56 am
I particularly like the second one, colour or BW.
Title: Re: simple flowers
Post by: brandtb on May 28, 2017, 08:09:41 am
The color versions have a lot of potential. The subjects are really nice as well as the color/tone in the background....with color of vase - and general lighting/atmosphere.The b/w doesn't  really bring anything to the table with so much "empty" space. I think the thing to consider is framing and the negative space around the subjects. If these aren't cropped look at a little more space on right side of vase in first...it is really pushed to edge. Also a little more space above the Queen Anne's Lace flower.
Title: Re: simple flowers
Post by: Krug on May 28, 2017, 09:14:27 am
Thank you gentlemen for the kind comments but especially for the critiques.

Yes Eric it was the wonderful sharp yellow that drew me - even such small touches ... though more would have been too much I think.

Thank you Brandt for the detailed comments ... for me the value of posting for comments is exactly this - to get a fresh pair of eyes on something to which one has perhaps become too close.
        I wanted the Queen Anne's Lace flower to dominate from the deliberately drab background but looking again I think you may well be right that a little more 'air' would have been better.
        Similarly i wanted a strong diagonal juxtaposition between the glints of sharp yellow and the 'blob' of purplely blue but again framed too close on the right perhaps in 'pushing' the 'blob' backwards.


Title: Re: simple flowers
Post by: riverrat373 on June 02, 2017, 03:52:15 pm
Both are great, but I really like the 1st photo. Sometimes simple is best!