Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: rodrigogil76 on May 24, 2017, 05:45:12 pm

Title: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on May 24, 2017, 05:45:12 pm
Hi,

It all started with a print that was missing red ink, so I changed the printhead and then in the middle of the process, asks me to replace the grey cartridge, so I also replaced it, and then it asked me to change the gloss enhancer cartridge, I also changed that one but it said faulty cartridge, so I ordered a new one and two days later I insert it and it says faulty cartridge again... so I order a new one, change it and it completes the  first process (the red printhead change), but when it finishes that I get agan the faulty E cartridge message... And now I have no idea what to do next.


Hope someone can help me or recommend me someone that can help me over the phone o r email, since Im already out of warranty and have no HP service in my town.

Thanks,
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on May 24, 2017, 06:19:20 pm
Hi,

It all started with a print that was missing red ink, so I changed the printhead and then in the middle of the process, asks me to replace the grey cartridge, so I also replaced it, and then it asked me to change the gloss enhancer cartridge, I also changed that one but it said faulty cartridge, so I ordered a new one and two days later I insert it and it says faulty cartridge again... so I order a new one, change it and it completes the  first process (the red printhead change), but when it finishes that I get agan the faulty E cartridge message... And now I have no idea what to do next.


Hope someone can help me or recommend me someone that can help me over the phone o r email, since Im already out of warranty and have no HP service in my town.

Thanks,

At this point, your best course of action would be to shut down - do it by the button on the front panel.  Have your hand on the power cord in the back, and when the carriage comes just right of center where you can get at everything, pull the plug.

Open the carriage and pull all your printheads out - put them in individual baggies and seal them, then put them in a larger baggy that will hold them all.  Next, pull all you carts out.  Put thm all in a large garbage bag and roll that tight and seal it.  Go outside somewhere where you don't care if you get ink on anything, then shake the bags holding the printheads and carts vigorously for as long as you can stand it - at least 15 minutes.

Go back in, look inside the carriage and clean everything you can including contacts with distilled water and material that won't leave lint or dust.  Pec pads work or coffee filter material in a pinch.  After you're sure everything is clean, go into the cartridge holder areas and clean all that - make sure everything is clean.  Press up and down on the little round pads at the bottom of the area where the carts go in.  Make sure they're all at the top.

Put the printheads all back in and close and latch the lid to the carriage.  Plug the printer back in and see if it will initialize, then ask you to put the carts back in one at a time.  Do as it asks.
Once it finishes initializing, do a printhead alignment if it hasn't already done one.  Do a diagnostic print on glossy paper and see if the printheads are all working correctly.  You need to check very carefully.

If you get this far, you're probably ok.

If not, you'll need to find out if there are error message or warning.

Good luck -

Mark

BTW - welcome to the forum.
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on May 25, 2017, 02:15:50 pm
First of all, thanks for your help.

I tried your process exactly, and ended up with the same error. "Ink cartridge Faulty Replace ink cartridge." and E cartridge is the one in black.

Is this really about the E cartridge or because it`s the first one?

Is my newest E cartridge marked as faulty by the printer and will not even try to use it? Because it takes less than a second to tell me after I insert it that it`s a faulty cartridge. Will buying ANOTHER one help?

I noticed that not all the black pads are at the top, photos attached.

Thanks,

Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on May 25, 2017, 04:46:09 pm
Try swapping older and near cartridges, turning the printer off and unplugging for several minutes.  Se if you can get it to take so that you can print out a diagnostic image on glossy paper. 

I think there's several things going on but I won't speculate without more info.

How old are the cartridges and how old are the printheads?

Man if it was me, I'd delete the printer and reinstall it will the newest software.  Sometimes that works.

If not, then possibly your firmware is corrupted.  Load new firmware.

If still a problem, enter the diagnostic menu (you'll need the service manual to understand this), and run an ISS leak test.

If it passes, you could have a problem in the PCA or Formatter board.  I always advocate pulling the formatter board (quickest and easiest thing to do), replace the battery, clean the contacts and reseat the board.  Very often these problems are solved right here.

You have to try different things - keep working at it and you'll get there if you stick with it.

Great people  on this forum - they will help too.

Best-

Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on May 25, 2017, 04:52:52 pm
BTW - FYI - you must have a cartridge(s) that is at least 1/2 full (per color) when you put in a new printhead so that it can properly charge the printhead.  Often printhead rejections are because of this issue.
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on May 25, 2017, 07:51:57 pm
Hello, my spent some time trying suggestions.

-Try swapping older and near cartridges, turning the printer off and unplugging for several minutes.  Se if you can get it to take so that you can print out a diagnostic image on glossy paper. 

DONE-no change.

-How old are the cartridges and how old are the printheads?

Mix of new and old, also some expired cartridges, that were working fine before the problem. The E cartridge is brand new, not expired.

-Man if it was me, I'd delete the printer and reinstall it will the newest software.  Sometimes that works.

I have been searching for a guide in how to do it with no luck.

-If not, then possibly your firmware is corrupted.  Load new firmware.
DONE-No change

-If still a problem, enter the diagnostic menu (you'll need the service manual to understand this), and run an ISS leak test.
DONE-Test came out OK.

If it passes, you could have a problem in the PCA or Formatter board.  I always advocate pulling the formatter board (quickest and easiest thing to do), replace the battery, clean the contacts and reseat the board.  Very often these problems are solved right here.
DONE-No change.

Thanks,

Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on May 25, 2017, 10:14:59 pm
OK...... can you print a diagnostic image on glossy paper?

Also, what system are you using Windows or Mac?

What version?
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on May 25, 2017, 10:30:55 pm

-Man if it was me, I'd delete the printer and reinstall it will the newest software.  Sometimes that works.

I have been searching for a guide in how to do it with no luck.

Thanks,

If you are in Windows - go to printers and other devices and delete the printer.
If on Mac - go to system preferences and printers and delete the printer.

Go to HP's web site and find the place to download software for your computer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-z3200-photo-printer-series/3737540

Change to your operating system and download the software driver - I recommend the PCL (or raster) driver

Open the software and run it.  Then if Mac, go to sys preferences and open printers, click add printer and find the driver to use for it and add it back in.

For windows basically do the same.

So essentially you delete the printer, download the new software, then add the printer back in (reinstall).
Then try that.

I think you've got some serious gremlins - it's hard from here to diagnose this one without being able to see what's going on.

Once you're back up and running - try doing the diagnostic print.

If you can, go into the event logs via your web browser - look on the front panel for your printer's address and type that into your browser.  Go to support > service support > Printer Information then when the big screen appears, go to event logs and see if you have any events or warnings.

You can poke around in there - it's very interesting.  See what you can find out.

Good luck.

Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on May 25, 2017, 10:49:45 pm
Another thing you should do while you're at all this is go to the right and find the parking station and clean everything you can.

We've stayed basically non-invasive with everything so far, but if something doesn't take, you may have to begin doing some invasive steps.

The next step after this would be to perform a bongo test and you would need a complete set of new carts and new printheads to do it plus setup caps.

It's a detailed, extensive procedure, so better hope something works soon.

BTW - HP recommends plugging the printer into a different wall receptacle in cases like these.  I recommend using a UPS.  You might want to change outlets and run through a UPS.

I can only help so much, given only so much time available, and I can't see your printer.

Which I could be more helpful.

-Mark 
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Pluminland on May 26, 2017, 09:50:30 am

I can only help so much, given only so much time available, and I can't see your printer.

Which I could be more helpful.

-Mark

Mark is a very helpful fellow and knows his Z3200's backwards and forwards.    He was very helpful to me when my Z3200 had problems, and though I never got it fixed (I was well over the limit in time and money I was willing to spend to get it fixed), his advice gave me a fighting chance.     I hope you have better luck.
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on May 26, 2017, 10:39:47 am
Mark is a very helpful fellow and knows his Z3200's backwards and forwards.    He was very helpful to me when my Z3200 had problems, and though I never got it fixed (I was well over the limit in time and money I was willing to spend to get it fixed), his advice gave me a fighting chance.     I hope you have better luck.

Thanks for the kind words - sorry we were unable to get you back up and running.  Do you still have your printer?  Want to give it another shot?  Sometimes walking away and coming back fresh makes a big difference.  Again, very kind of you, and sorry it's not working.

Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on May 26, 2017, 12:37:02 pm
Thanks a lot for your support Mark.

OK...... can you print a diagnostic image on glossy paper?
I haven`t run the printer from the computer since the problem started, so far I have been doing everything from the front panel and I don`t have the option to print the diagnostic image, it keeps telling me to change the E cartridge.

Also, what system are you using Windows or Mac?
I use windows, but I have the option to use Mac.

What version?
win 10.


[/quote]
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on May 26, 2017, 04:26:03 pm
Just for troubleshooting purposes,

Go ahead and power back down.  Pull the plug.  Make sure your cartridges are all seated.

Connect the printer to your Mac - make sure you have the corresponding drivers installed for the mac.

I'd prefer you went through a Network LAN switch if possible.  If not - just go straight in to the computer with a LAN cable.

Let's see if it behaves the same.

-Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on May 31, 2017, 03:04:01 pm
Hello,

So I ordered a new cartridge, it arrived yesterday and I changed it, first ai got a cartridge replacement ok message, followed by printhead replacement incomplete. Restart it. E-G, B-GN, M-Y, LM-LC, PK-LG, MK-R Printhead replacement not completed... press OK to start replacement.
So I pressed Ok and I changed only the MK-R printhead, the one I had available, then I got the usual preparing print system screen I waited 15 minutes and then when it finished... "Replace E cartridge" same message again.

Not sure if I should buy all the printheads and a new E cartridge.
or maybe purge the printer?

All the help is much appreciated,

 
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: deanwork on May 31, 2017, 07:10:44 pm

All this sounds to me like the contact points inside the printer that read the chip on the ink cart are either bent, dirty, or shorted out somehow. Never had any such problems like that on a z but I have on an Epson.




Hello,

So I ordered a new cartridge, it arrived yesterday and I changed it, first ai got a cartridge replacement ok message, followed by printhead replacement incomplete. Restart it. E-G, B-GN, M-Y, LM-LC, PK-LG, MK-R Printhead replacement not completed... press OK to start replacement.
So I pressed Ok and I changed only the MK-R printhead, the one I had available, then I got the usual preparing print system screen I waited 15 minutes and then when it finished... "Replace E cartridge" same message again.

Not sure if I should buy all the printheads and a new E cartridge.
or maybe purge the printer?

All the help is much appreciated,
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 01, 2017, 02:21:53 pm
Hello,

So I ordered a new cartridge, it arrived yesterday and I changed it, first ai got a cartridge replacement ok message, followed by printhead replacement incomplete. Restart it. E-G, B-GN, M-Y, LM-LC, PK-LG, MK-R Printhead replacement not completed... press OK to start replacement.
So I pressed Ok and I changed only the MK-R printhead, the one I had available, then I got the usual preparing print system screen I waited 15 minutes and then when it finished... "Replace E cartridge" same message again.

Not sure if I should buy all the printheads and a new E cartridge.
or maybe purge the printer?

All the help is much appreciated,

The way it is acting, I think at this point, now that you have some printheads and some cartridges out of date, and unsure of what is working and not working, really the only definitive test would be to do a bongo test.  Look in your service manual and study carefully exactly what is involved.  You would need to read the procedure several times to get a feel for what's involved, and how to carry it out to the fullest extent.  You would need a new set of inks, a new set of printheads and setup caps for the printheads.  These are the orange caps that come with the printer before printheads are installed.
The bongo test insures that all lines and ink passageways are clear and fuctioning.  Often, a machine that is working incorrectly will clear with a bongo test, or the test exposes the issue that is keeping it from initializing.  The good thing is that once it goes back working you have a fully charged machine with all good inks and printheads.  The bad thing is that there could be a possibility, however slight, that it might not work.  It's like starting from scratch and setting up the machine from start, charging it, testing it, then back to using it.
Unfortunately, not knowing now what inks, what cartridges, what printheads are working incorrectly, you are doomed to continue to guess at it until maybe something works, but at this point without this diagnostic and replacement test, it will likely continue to fail.

Obviously new inks and printheads are not cheap, and I don't know what shape your printer is in otherwise, so can't really advise.  I can tell you what my next step would be based on your feedback if I was doing it.

You can find setup caps on ebay sometimes.  Also a complete set of starter inks would work for the test if you could find those.  They are the half-size carts that come with the new printer.

-Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 01, 2017, 02:47:36 pm
By the way, have you wetted the pads in the ink capping station with distilled water?

That's an important thing to do.  And you should have claened that unit as best as possible....
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on June 01, 2017, 04:56:54 pm
The way it is acting, I think at this point, now that you have some printheads and some cartridges out of date, and unsure of what is working and not working, really the only definitive test would be to do a bongo test.  Look in your service manual and study carefully exactly what is involved.  You would need to read the procedure several times to get a feel for what's involved, and how to carry it out to the fullest extent.  You would need a new set of inks, a new set of printheads and setup caps for the printheads.  These are the orange caps that come with the printer before printheads are installed.
The bongo test insures that all lines and ink passageways are clear and fuctioning.  Often, a machine that is working incorrectly will clear with a bongo test, or the test exposes the issue that is keeping it from initializing.  The good thing is that once it goes back working you have a fully charged machine with all good inks and printheads.  The bad thing is that there could be a possibility, however slight, that it might not work.  It's like starting from scratch and setting up the machine from start, charging it, testing it, then back to using it.
Unfortunately, not knowing now what inks, what cartridges, what printheads are working incorrectly, you are doomed to continue to guess at it until maybe something works, but at this point without this diagnostic and replacement test, it will likely continue to fail.

Obviously new inks and printheads are not cheap, and I don't know what shape your printer is in otherwise, so can't really advise.  I can tell you what my next step would be based on your feedback if I was doing it.

You can find setup caps on ebay sometimes.  Also a complete set of starter inks would work for the test if you could find those.  They are the half-size carts that come with the new printer.

-Mark

Thanks a lot for your input. I tripled checked that contact, apparently it`s ok. Also it`s weird that when I insert a new cartridge it reads the chip as OK, it`s only after it finishes preparing the system that it marks the error.
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on June 01, 2017, 06:58:31 pm
New discovery, not sure if it tells anything. I ran an IDS test, and I got an OK result at the end, then I ran a Check INK supplies test and I got the following result:
F cartidge OK purge NO, Im guessing F is gloss enhancer... It`s the only one that has a NO on OK purge.

Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 01, 2017, 08:32:52 pm
New discovery, not sure if it tells anything. I ran an IDS test, and I got an OK result at the end, then I ran a Check INK supplies test and I got the following result:
F cartidge OK purge NO, Im guessing F is gloss enhancer... It`s the only one that has a NO on OK purge.

Try that test again, and watch the screen very carefully.  See if you are getting a 22.0.YZ or 22.0.1:YZ  system error.
This is critical.

If yes or no.  Turn the machine off unplug, and check that the cables between the left ink supply station and the Main PCA board are not damaged and are connected correctly.  Do the same thing to the right ink supply station.

The main thing to do is to go into your web browser from the utility and go to additional settings fourth down (4th on right) - then press
"open embedded web server"

Then choose third tab to the right "support"

Then on the left at the bottom press "service support"

Then in the middle next to the big "i" press printer information

Then press 4th tab over at the top "EVENT LOGS"

Then look to see if there are events under SYSTEM ERRORS

This is critical.  Copy ALL the system errors and the dates.

Under line, (second to last on right, just before date) there should be info there.

Standard error codes will be under the third column from the left under "ERROR CODE"

Do this and report back if you would.

-Mark
 
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 01, 2017, 08:47:43 pm
NEXT,

Go to section 3-38 in the service manual.

In the diagnostics menu on the front panel of your printer,

scroll to 7. IDS and press OK.
the front panel will show the 7.IDS submenu.
In the IDS submenu scroll to INK DELIVERY SYSTEM and press OK to start the test.
The Ink delivery system test prompts you to remove all of the ink supplies.
Continue and follow all directions to the letter.

You actually push the bongos down when the front panel prompts you to.

Good luck - let's see what happens.

You'll need to check the ink delivery system tests fully.

You might end up replacing the left and right service stations - it's just a hunch.  There are some on eBay.

-Mark

Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 01, 2017, 08:59:21 pm
Also, while we're at it,
Go into Utility,
Then All Settings,
Then fourth row down printer settings,
Then CONFIGURE PRINTER SETTINGS

Make sure ALL your settings correspond exactly to the image below:


-Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on June 02, 2017, 07:48:53 pm
Hello, IDS test came out OK, just one issue with F cartridge, see attached image. (OK purge: NO)
Also attached error log.
Cleaned parking station, no change on error message.
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on June 02, 2017, 08:09:40 pm
Also, I noticed that under Current Media, Printhead and Ink Information the capacity of the Gloss cartridge appears as -1 ml, image attached.
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 03, 2017, 06:08:09 am
OK.  Try this.  Go into inks, from the front panel, replace inks.  Pull out the inks next to gloss enhancer so the you can get your hand in around the cartridge. 
If you can, leaving GE cart in, gently squeeze the cart sides pumping it until ink flows from the bladder.
Keep squeezing on off, on off.  The idea is to see iff you can squeeze ink into the line, building back pressure so the line will move whatever is in there.
After you've done that enough, remove the cartridge, replace the others, then turn the printer off, pull the plug, turn off the switch in the back.  Wait a good five minutes then restart.  When the panel tells you to, replace the GE cart.  See if it will initialize. 
-M

Did you replace the Gloss Enhancer printhead?
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on June 14, 2017, 02:20:12 pm
Hello! I finally had the chance to perform the suggested procedure... no luck :( Gloss enhancer printhead has been replaced twice.
Not sure what the next step should be, I was thinking about changing all the printheads and cartidges bit its a lot of money and maybe I should start saving for some spare parts or maybe a new printer...



OK.  Try this.  Go into inks, from the front panel, replace inks.  Pull out the inks next to gloss enhancer so the you can get your hand in around the cartridge. 
If you can, leaving GE cart in, gently squeeze the cart sides pumping it until ink flows from the bladder.
Keep squeezing on off, on off.  The idea is to see iff you can squeeze ink into the line, building back pressure so the line will move whatever is in there.
After you've done that enough, remove the cartridge, replace the others, then turn the printer off, pull the plug, turn off the switch in the back.  Wait a good five minutes then restart.  When the panel tells you to, replace the GE cart.  See if it will initialize. 
-M

Did you replace the Gloss Enhancer printhead?
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 15, 2017, 06:53:49 pm
Hello! I finally had the chance to perform the suggested procedure... no luck :( Gloss enhancer printhead has been replaced twice.
Not sure what the next step should be, I was thinking about changing all the printheads and cartidges bit its a lot of money and maybe I should start saving for some spare parts or maybe a new printer...

OK.  Let's try one more thing.  Shut down.  Pull the plug.  Pull the formatter board again.  Pull the battery off the board and let the board sit for 10 minutes or more.  Replace the battery.  Replace the formatter board.  Power on.  The unit will power on very slowy after about 17-18 percent.  It will be rechecking the firmware.  Could take a long time.
Please try this and see what happens.  Don't give up.

Let me know, OK?  I have a few other things to try, but I'm hoping this might make a difference.

Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 15, 2017, 07:52:59 pm
If this quick test does not work, if you want to continue, please answer questions below - history of printer.

Did you buy the printer new?  If yes, when?

If no, please describe when and what condition the printer was in?

How long have you been printing with this printer?

Please list repairs that have been made to the printer and if they were done by you, or HP.

What is the date of manufacture?  (Look on label in back of printer).

Is your printer a 3200, or 3200ps?

Rev A, or B?

How often have the printheads been changed?

Have you replaced the E/G. (Gloss enhancer/ Gray) printhead.  What is it's current status?

Please list all repairs / cleaning you have done to the printer since you have had it?

Have you had the belt changed?

This history could be very important going forward.

Again, thus far, we have done nothing invasive, but rather just have tried to kick start the printer.
If we can't get past initialization, it difficult to make any headway, without replacing parts.

I'd like to point out that you could call HP and tell them the problem and ask if they will work on it, or how much a service pack would cost.  Alternatively, you could do a search for Large format printer/plotter technicians in your area.  Some of them moonlight.  I once put an ad in Craigslist and found a pretty good guy.

At any rate, please answer the questions if you want to continue working with me to try some more things.

Best,

Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on June 19, 2017, 08:27:56 pm
Thanks a lot, Mark for helping so much. formatter board pulled out, battery removed,waited 30 min, no change on the error.


OK.  Let's try one more thing.  Shut down.  Pull the plug.  Pull the formatter board again.  Pull the battery off the board and let the board sit for 10 minutes or more.  Replace the battery.  Replace the formatter board.  Power on.  The unit will power on very slowy after about 17-18 percent.  It will be rechecking the firmware.  Could take a long time.
Please try this and see what happens.  Don't give up.

Let me know, OK?  I have a few other things to try, but I'm hoping this might make a difference.

Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on June 19, 2017, 08:42:31 pm
Did you buy the printer new?  If yes, when?
No, used, two and a half years ago, bought from AAA imaging.

If no, please describe when and what condition the printer was in?
Excellent mechanical condition, it arrived with no inks, purged and worked great from the first run.

How long have you been printing with this printer?
2 and a half years.

Please list repairs that have been made to the printer and if they were done by you, or HP.
No repairs.

What is the date of manufacture?  (Look on label in back of printer).
jul 05, 2010

Is your printer a 3200, or 3200ps?
3200

Rev A, or B?
B

How often have the printheads been changed?
As soon as I see problems on a print I change a printhead, I get around 8 months from the printheads.

Have you replaced the E/G. (Gloss enhancer/ Gray) printhead.  What is it's current status?
Yes, twice. It has a brand new printhead that appears as OK.

Please list all repairs / cleaning you have done to the printer since you have had it?
No repairs, I only cleaned the parking station two weeks ago when you suggested it.

Have you had the belt changed?
No

Thanks!

Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 20, 2017, 07:33:45 am
OK, good work. I'm concerned that it's something simple that has been overlooked.  At this point, I'm out of "quick fixes".  The next step would be to look at the ink delivery system, the ink delivery tubes, and a system purge, and replacement of all printheads and inks using setup carts/heads.  This would be expensive.
Since the printer is not throwing any errors, it is difficult to impossible to discern whether it's the ink delivery system including the carriage, or any number of boards, of which there could be a bad connection, or faulty component causing the problem.

I have to say that from here out it would be shooting in the dark without being able to have hands on the printer.  I'm hesitant to make any more recommendations without being able to physically examine the printer.  Replacing one part after another is pretty much guess work and would get expensive.

I think that buying new inks, new printheads, etc., then new replacement parts, tearing the machine down to the frame, doesn't make sense without guidance or being done by a professional at this point.
I can't help but think it's something simple we've overlooked, but that's not always the case.

You can get a brand new Z3200ps 44" from ProImaging delivered for $3,000.  If you feel you have nothing to loose, you could continue to tear your machine down, replace the carriage and a new belt while you are at it, and change out the trailing cable, etc., etc.  By the time you buy all new printheads, carts, and components, I think you'd be better off just getting a new printer now that this one is as old as it is.

I wish you luck with it. Maybe someone else will have a fresh approach and find the answer.

Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on June 20, 2017, 09:06:21 pm
Just one last ditch effort.  I suggest you try pulling the Gloss Enhancer printhead and the Gloss enhancer cartridge.  Go in to the carriage and clean super thoroughly all the contacts where the printhead touches, and the print head again.  Extra thourough.

Then re-clean where the cartridge mounts super clean.

Then clean the encoder strip very carefully and thoroughly.

Start the printer up with printhead missing and cartridge missing.

Be sure you have shaken both really well.  I know you've done this before, but try it one more time.

Good luck.  Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on December 01, 2017, 06:32:51 pm
Hello! So I threw the towel. After changing the ink delivery system and the motherboard and still getting the same error message I decided to stop and bought a Canon Prograf 2000.

Thanks a lot to everybody that kindly helped me in trying to fix it.

Regards,
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on December 02, 2017, 06:13:12 am
Hello! So I threw the towel. After changing the ink delivery system and the motherboard and still getting the same error message I decided to stop and bought a Canon Prograf 2000.

Thanks a lot to everybody that kindly helped me in trying to fix it.

Regards,

You probably did the wise thing.  I advocated not pushing forward more in my last post, but I see you did continue.  What error message is it, just out of curiosity, at this point? What are your plans for the HP printer now?

Good luck with your new printer. 

Mark/
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on December 07, 2017, 10:32:08 am
Hello Mark, first of all thanks a lot for all your advice. I know that I should have stopped earlier, but I always thought "This is the right one". The printer is going to be sold I guess in pieces. I have two main boards now... I have 11 new ink cartidges listed already on mexican ebay but they aren`t selling, so maybe Ill post those on ebay. If you are interested in a piece let me know and Ill gladly send it to you.

Regards,
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on December 07, 2017, 11:41:09 am
Hello Mark, first of all thanks a lot for all your advice. I know that I should have stopped earlier, but I always thought "This is the right one". The printer is going to be sold I guess in pieces. I have two main boards now... I have 11 new ink cartidges listed already on mexican ebay but they aren`t selling, so maybe Ill post those on ebay. If you are interested in a piece let me know and Ill gladly send it to you.

Regards,

Did you get a new formatter board with hard drive?
I'd love to have that.
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: Mark Lindquist on December 07, 2017, 11:45:01 am
I've sent you a PM.

I'll work directly with you if you want to give it a last ditch effort.  I hate to see it parted out.

Check your PM please - if we can get it going, then you can at least sell it as a working printer if you still want to.

Mark
Title: Re: Z3200 faulty ink cartridge. Already replaced it 3 times.
Post by: rodrigogil76 on December 07, 2017, 11:03:55 pm
Did you get a new formatter board with hard drive?
I'd love to have that.

Ill send you photos of what I got since I´m not very good with the names.

Regards,