Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Dinarius on May 22, 2017, 09:51:02 am

Title: Transporting Large Prints: How do you do it?
Post by: Dinarius on May 22, 2017, 09:51:02 am
Not strictly a printing question, I know, but I can't think of another forum to ask it in....

How do you transport large, unframed prints? (A0 and larger)

Any advice on preparation for this appreciated.

I thinking of how to get prints from a printing house to a framers.

Do you spray prints beforehand?

Do you roll them, or use a very large flat container?

How do you approach either of the above?

Thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Transporting Large Prints: How do you do it?
Post by: Stephen Girimont on May 22, 2017, 03:09:12 pm
True story: I bought my Toyota 4Runner because with the rear seats flat, the box a 40x60-inch stretched canvas from Simply Color comes in fits perfectly laying flat.

I transport my images flat. Paper prints would be sandwiched between mat board or foam core with interleaving paper (thin paper like rice paper or some other material) separating the print surface from the mat board/foam core.

I never roll prints. Maybe I just don't trust myself (justifiably), but it seems like the perfect way to ruin a print.
Title: Re: Transporting Large Prints: How do you do it?
Post by: stevenf on May 22, 2017, 03:39:43 pm
My prints are sold all over the world. Always roll them for shipping.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: Transporting Large Prints: How do you do it?
Post by: Ken Doo on May 22, 2017, 04:32:52 pm
If just a short trip to the frame shop (or a client)---it's rather easy to use two large pieces of foam core. You can make your own hinges or use large binder clips.  Glassine paper on top of the print. 

ken
Title: Re: Transporting Large Prints: How do you do it?
Post by: Rand47 on May 22, 2017, 04:43:08 pm
If just a short trip to the frame shop (or a client)---it's rather easy to use two large pieces of foam core. You can make your own hinges or use large binder clips.  Glassine paper on top of the print. 

ken

+1   I tell clients to bring foam core larger than the print we are making for them.  I use artist tape to "just" tape 4 corners to foam core "face up" for transport to their framer.

Rand
Title: Re: Transporting Large Prints: How do you do it?
Post by: Dinarius on May 23, 2017, 04:14:48 am
Hadn't thought of foam core.

Great idea.

Thanks!  ;)

D.