Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on May 21, 2017, 06:39:41 am

Title: In the Shadows
Post by: stamper on May 21, 2017, 06:39:41 am
Yes or No?
Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: RSL on May 21, 2017, 07:18:57 am
Yes.
Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: graeme on May 21, 2017, 07:50:59 am
Yes, I think so.
Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: Krug on May 21, 2017, 09:31:47 am
Definitely.
Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 21, 2017, 09:46:14 am
Absolutely, yes.
Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 21, 2017, 09:51:18 am
Looking at it on my iPad, I couldn't see the whole image when enlarged. When scrolled left and right, I could see either the woman or the man. That's when realized that I like it much more with the man only. Much more powerful, tonally, compositionaly and content-wise.
Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: RSL on May 21, 2017, 09:57:48 am
I'm inclined to agree with Slobodan. I probably wouldn't if the woman were looking straight ahead, didn't have her hand at her mouth, and didn't have a white package or something at her right side. Then you'd have something similar to this, which I've posted before, and which was in B&W magazine.
Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: stamper on May 21, 2017, 10:31:04 am
  A crop is a distinct possibility. With or without the girl it works? Thanks for the feedback.





Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 21, 2017, 01:49:55 pm
It's strong either way, but with the girl cropped out, it's much better.

Jeremy
Title: Re: In the Shadows
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 21, 2017, 03:38:21 pm
I disagree.
The image shouts "isolation," and with only the man it is a more simple-minded image. To me the sense of isolation is stronger with the two of them visible. Their physical proximity does nothing to dispel that sense.

If the "white package or something" bothers some viewers, you can clone it out. It's no more a distraction than a certain twig in another recent image posted on LuLa.