Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on May 18, 2017, 05:41:13 pm

Title: Late night dip?
Post by: KMRennie on May 18, 2017, 05:41:13 pm
Quote
A 15 minute exposure from St. Malo in France. As the long exposure noise reduction was taking the subsequent 15 min "dark frame" an outward bound sailing ship passed across the frame just beyond the diving board, nothing I could do and nobody would have believed the result anyway. Ken
Title: Re: A late night dip?
Post by: John R on May 18, 2017, 06:48:47 pm
Outstanding. I especially like how the white of the water is surrounded by a darker water, allowing an amorphous shape to be created. This adds interest and tonal contrast.

JR
Title: Re: A late night dip?
Post by: graeme on May 18, 2017, 09:56:34 pm
That's a cracker. Well done.
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: francois on May 19, 2017, 04:40:04 am
Clean of any unneeded element, this is a powerful image.
Bravo
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: luxborealis on May 19, 2017, 06:20:04 pm
Beautiful, rich glow to the water. Fascinating. Will surely cause viewers to stop and ponder.
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: KMRennie on May 20, 2017, 07:57:29 am
Thanks for the comments. I am still experimenting with this minimalist thing so any positive comments keep me going. This is the same file without the sky cropped. I went out to take the image at sunset hoping for the terrific skies of the previous evenings but heavy cloud on the horizon stopped that. I quite like the bright patch of sky and could introduce a little detail into it as well as lightening the dark wedge at the top but it would only add clutter as well as explaining the bright patch. I have also added a very minimalist version. In the end it is only a bit of fun although I may enter the original into some of the more "arty" competitions to see what they make of it. Ken
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: francois on May 22, 2017, 09:36:56 am
I prefer the first version over the last ones. It's a good balance. Anyway, the original shot can be a source for many fantastic interpretations.
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: langier on May 22, 2017, 09:42:14 am
Etherial! Neat!
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: MattBurt on May 22, 2017, 12:49:12 pm
Very interesting image. Nicely done! I think the first is my preference too.
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 22, 2017, 12:58:02 pm
For me, I keep going back and forth between the original version and the pne with the bright sky area. The third is perhaps too minimalist for my taste. I feel that the strange structure needs some con=text, which the first two variants provide, in different ways.

Excellent experiment.
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: John R on May 22, 2017, 10:37:44 pm
The first creates an imbalance in two ways: the eye is drawn to the heavy dark shape at the expense of the rest of the scene; and the dark sky creates an oblique line that is at odds with the horizon.

The second is fine, IMO. But because we have seen the first post we inevitably compare. I bet enlarged, this second image would look quite mysterious in its own right.

JR
Title: Re: Late night dip?
Post by: riverrat373 on June 02, 2017, 03:48:19 pm
Excellent composition!