Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattBurt on May 10, 2017, 05:34:29 pm

Title: Rain curtain
Post by: MattBurt on May 10, 2017, 05:34:29 pm
I shot this a couple of nights ago. It was stormy but mostly in isolated cells that I figured I could navigate around to get some interesting photos. I only got a little wet. :)
To get the brighter parts exposed correctly I had to underexpose and then bring up the shadows in post. I tried to do it in a way that doesn't look fake. Did I succeed?

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4182/34416667481_85b6565de5_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/UrhqbD)IMGP1294-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/UrhqbD) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: RSL on May 10, 2017, 06:02:59 pm
You got it, Matt. It's striking.
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: John R on May 10, 2017, 06:28:12 pm
Looks fabulous. I can hear the rumble and the disquiet.

JR
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: graeme on May 10, 2017, 07:08:36 pm
You got it, Matt. It's striking.

+1
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 10, 2017, 08:35:02 pm
+2
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 10, 2017, 09:21:31 pm
+3.
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: luxborealis on May 10, 2017, 09:24:30 pm
+4
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: James Clark on May 10, 2017, 10:32:35 pm
+5
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 11, 2017, 03:32:18 am
Stunning sky, but the foreground strikes me as a little too light.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: francois on May 11, 2017, 06:56:27 am
Jeremy has a point (vs foreground lightness) but it is beautiful with that dramatic, threatening sky.
I like it a lot.
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: Bob_B on May 11, 2017, 07:04:14 am
Wonderful drama.
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: BobDavid on May 11, 2017, 09:14:58 am
...a tsunami in the sky.
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: MattBurt on May 11, 2017, 10:18:34 am
Jeremy has a point (vs foreground lightness) but it is beautiful with that dramatic, threatening sky.
I like it a lot.

I wondered if it might be. It can be a fine line. I may bring it down a little if I print this. Thanks for the input!
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 11, 2017, 10:41:43 am
Jeremy has a point (vs foreground lightness)...

Nope.
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: RSL on May 11, 2017, 10:46:12 am
+1. It's all about the sky.
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on May 11, 2017, 11:42:39 am
Love it.
Title: Re: Rain curtain
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 11, 2017, 03:03:50 pm
+1. It's all about the sky.

Not sure if your "+1" was for Slobodan or for me, Russ. Either way, I agree with you about the sky, which is why I thought it would be better if the foreground were a bit darker.

Jeremy