Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on May 08, 2017, 01:41:50 am

Title: Open Door
Post by: BobDavid on May 08, 2017, 01:41:50 am
Open door policy...
Title: Re: Open Door
Post by: francois on May 08, 2017, 02:16:49 am
Well seen... Open door, yes but not so inviting!
Another good one.
Title: Re: Open Door
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 08, 2017, 12:07:53 pm
Delightfully spooky.
Title: Re: Open Door
Post by: RSL on May 08, 2017, 02:18:17 pm
+1. Not the facility you'd want to use at night.
Title: Re: Open Door
Post by: BobDavid on May 08, 2017, 04:34:54 pm
+1. Not the facility you'd want to use at night.

The scene was creepy. Eventually I got close enough to use an 18mm on a 35mm FF to get the shot. I did not peak inside the room. ... This side of the building faces a quiet side street.

This scene is a bit out of my comfort zone. My photos tend to have a lot more color and brightness. I am interested in pursuing this vein. I guess the question is, how dark can a photo be before it becomes technically and aesthetically poor? I processed it in CaptureOne. It was tricky to get it to come out.
Title: Re: Open Door
Post by: RSL on May 08, 2017, 05:53:15 pm
Hi Bob, My first reaction was "How would it look in B&W?" But the colors in the door and the trash bins are important to the picture. It's a scary shot.
Title: Re: Open Door
Post by: graeme on May 08, 2017, 06:45:09 pm
The scene was creepy. Eventually I got close enough to use an 18mm on a 35mm FF to get the shot. I did not peak inside the room. ... This side of the building faces a quiet side street.

This scene is a bit out of my comfort zone. My photos tend to have a lot more color and brightness. I am interested in pursuing this vein. I guess the question is, how dark can a photo be before it becomes technically and aesthetically poor? I processed it in CaptureOne. It was tricky to get it to come out.

Well done Bob, that's an ominous scene. What makes it really interesting it that it's slightly difficult to explain exactly why it's so scary. It's the kind of image that could ferment away nastily in my subconscious for some time. Great stuff.

The processing looks perfect to me.
Title: Re: Open Door
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 08, 2017, 07:24:31 pm
The colors, while subtle, are essential to the spooky feeling, IMHO. In black and white I suspect it would lose the sense of something ominous.
Title: Re: Open Door
Post by: graeme on May 08, 2017, 07:28:44 pm
The colors, while subtle, are essential to the spooky feeling, IMHO. In black and white I suspect it would lose the sense of something ominous.

Yes, they're real night time artificial light colours.