Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: James Clark on May 03, 2017, 06:02:34 pm

Title: Paper recommendation - Something cooler needed
Post by: James Clark on May 03, 2017, 06:02:34 pm
Hi All -

I love the look of finished work on Hahnemuhle's William Turner paper - rough textured, heavy paper that looks very "rich" for lack of a better term.  But it has a very warm base color to it.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a slightly less warm (approaching neutral) paper that still approximates the heft and feel and texture of the William Turner but looks just a bit more "modern?"  I'm not looking for bright white - just something a shade or two brighter.
Title: Re: Paper recommendation - Something cooler needed
Post by: Mark D Segal on May 03, 2017, 06:13:00 pm
Epson Legacy Etching may fit your requirement. Not as roughly textured as Wm Turner, but "robust", no OBAs and pretty good neutrality.
Title: Re: Paper recommendation - Something cooler needed
Post by: James Clark on May 03, 2017, 06:30:26 pm
Thanks Mark - really appreciated.  Since Epson doesn't provide Canon profiles, I'd hoped to avoid the next step, but it's probably time I embraced custom profiles anyway. :)

Title: Re: Paper recommendation - Something cooler needed
Post by: hugowolf on May 04, 2017, 12:04:37 am
Canson Aquarelle (used to be called Canson Arches Aquarelle) is a shade cooler, with a different but similarly torchon like texture. It is available in 310 and 240 g/m². Canson Edition Etching is closer to neutral, but has less texture than either the Turner or Aquarelle.

If you are willing to put up with a high OBA content, then there are a few bright white rough textured papers available.

I'd recommend downloading and running Ernst Dinkla's Spectrum Viz app for comparing white points and paper spectral reflectance curves.

Brian A
Title: Re: Paper recommendation - Something cooler needed
Post by: howardm on May 04, 2017, 11:41:16 am
I just got an email indicating that RedRiver is now offering 'Palo Duro Etching' paper. 

Might be worth a look-see.
Title: Re: Paper recommendation - Something cooler needed
Post by: mearussi on May 05, 2017, 09:28:36 pm
I second the Canson Aquarelle. It's my first choice for a heavily textured watercolor paper as the texture is not repetitive.