Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on May 02, 2017, 07:14:24 am

Title: Watendlath Beck
Post by: KMRennie on May 02, 2017, 07:14:24 am
Not sure if I have my monochrome "eye" in at the moment. This probably means that I don't. Hope you like it. Ken
Title: Re: Watendlath Beck
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 02, 2017, 09:01:13 am
It works for me.
Title: Re: Watendlath Beck
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on May 03, 2017, 04:15:06 am
Me too.
Title: Re: Watendlath Beck
Post by: Brad Smith on May 03, 2017, 09:37:59 am
Well, at the risk of being contrarian, I think the image has more potential with a slightly different processing. I would try toning down the whites in the rocks a bit so they are less dominant relative to the white in the water.
Title: Re: Watendlath Beck
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 03, 2017, 01:10:40 pm
Well, at the risk of being contrarian, I think the image has more potential with a slightly different processing. I would try toning down the whites in the rocks a bit so they are less dominant relative to the white in the water.

I think that's probably right. The exposure has worked well for the water: there's a good impression of motion but still some detail. That's where the interest of the image lies. If the rocks are toned down a bit, they'll distract less.

I was in a similar position with this shot: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=104759.msg861234#msg861234. The comments led to a better image.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Watendlath Beck
Post by: KMRennie on May 03, 2017, 04:41:33 pm
Thanks for the thoughts about the whites in the rocks. The rocks looked very flat and I probably punched in too much clarity to give them punch.  I am presently on the ferry to Brittany so will have a go with the jpeg to see if I can restore the focus on to the water but will have to wait until I get home to work on the RAW file as undoing the effects of  too much clarity as opposed to removing some of it often leads to a very dull result. Ken
Title: Re: Watendlath Beck
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 04, 2017, 12:12:59 am
I agree with Brad and Jeremy that toning down the rocks will make the image even better.
Title: Re: Watendlath Beck
Post by: Chris Calohan on May 04, 2017, 10:57:30 am
Agree with down-toning comments and as well, I would clone out the tree trunk, upper left.