Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 22, 2017, 12:03:36 pm

Title: causeway
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 22, 2017, 12:03:36 pm
A couple from the Giant's Causeway. The weather wasn't awfully kind.

I'm undecided about the man in the colour shot. It would take minimal effort in PS to remove him (I'd left my AK-47 in the car, so there wasn't anything I could do about him at the time); on the other hand, he did, considerately, stand awfully still for the 15 second exposure and he gives a sense of scale, so I'm inclined to leave him there.

Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: causeway
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 22, 2017, 12:14:56 pm
... to remove him (I'd left my AK-47 in the car, so there wasn't anything I could do about him at the time)...

Sorry, couldn't resist:  ;)
Title: Re: causeway
Post by: 32BT on April 22, 2017, 01:05:15 pm
A couple from the Giant's Causeway. The weather wasn't awfully kind.

I'm undecided about the man in the colour shot. It would take minimal effort in PS to remove him (I'd left my AK-47 in the car, so there wasn't anything I could do about him at the time); on the other hand, he did, considerately, stand awfully still for the 15 second exposure and he gives a sense of scale, so I'm inclined to leave him there.

Comments?

Jeremy

Removing the person with a shot or after the shot would both be utterly wrong.
Title: Re: causeway
Post by: RSL on April 22, 2017, 02:00:24 pm
Jeremy, here's a rule of thumb: "A picture with a human in it is always better than a picture without a human in it."

That's a famous saying I just coined. It's fated to go down in history right next to HCB's "It's always luck."
Title: Re: causeway
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 22, 2017, 05:11:41 pm
Jeremy, here's a rule of thumb: "A picture with a human in it is always better than a picture without a human in it."

That's a famous saying I just coined. It's fated to go down in history right next to HCB's "It's always luck."
And like the other Sacred Rules of Composition (Rule of Thirds, Rule that you Always/Never Place the Main Subject in the Center, etc.), it should generally be ignored.

HCB's rule, however, is valid approximately 99.44% of the time.
Title: Re: causeway
Post by: John R on April 22, 2017, 10:44:33 pm
Wonderful images Jeremy. I especially like the BW image. Calm in the foreground pool area with wonderfully constrained highlights, and a stormy sky in the background. Layers that move your eyes throughout the image.

JR
Title: Re: causeway
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 23, 2017, 03:54:58 am
Thanks, John. As for the rest of you, we all know that 93.47% of statistics are invented on the spur of the moment.

Jeremy