Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Juanito on April 11, 2017, 11:09:54 am

Title: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Juanito on April 11, 2017, 11:09:54 am
I sent my H5-40 into Hasselblad on January 27. They received it the following day. The New Jersey repair facility couldn't replace the filter (really, how hard is that?) so they had to send it to Sweden. It's presently April 11th. I called to find out the status of the repair. The camera is awaiting final it's final QC check before returning it to me. Unfortunately, that was the status of the repair when I called two weeks ago. How can a camera sit for two weeks (and counting) without getting checked out for return?

At the present rate, even if the camera is ready tomorrow, I won't receive it for another two weeks. (They only ship on Fridays.) Three months (or more) for a simple repair is completely unacceptable for a company that sells to professional photographers who need the equipment for their livelihood. If Nikon or Canon did this, photographers would be screaming bloody murder. Is this normal for Hasselblad or am I the exception? (To be clear, I'm not talking about cameras that are serviced in New Jersey. I've had decent experience there.)

John

Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: JoeKitchen on April 11, 2017, 02:31:59 pm
I would classify this as unacceptable! 
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Rdmax on April 11, 2017, 02:48:17 pm
This seems to be the case with medium format cameras, including Leica...
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: hcubell on April 11, 2017, 02:52:11 pm
I am not sure how different the turnaround is with Phase One or Pentax. My understanding is that their repairs go back to Denmark and Japan, respectively. Does Fuji have a full service capability for the GFX in the US that will cover all repairs? This is why I always got the hot swap warranty with Phase backs.
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: fotagf8 on April 11, 2017, 02:57:30 pm
I spoke with Fuji tech support, which I found out is located in New Jersey.  My impression is that will be where a GFX will be repaired, but if it is a concern, I suggest you call them to confirm that.  The technician I spoke to was a GFX user and enthusiastic.
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: JoeKitchen on April 11, 2017, 03:16:51 pm
This seems to be the case with medium format cameras, including Leica...

The mirror on my XF malfunctioned the 2nd day out of the box.  My dealer, DT, told me it was most likely a shorted circuit on the board, a fluke, but, in any event, unacceptable.  Within two days, I had a new XF body in my hands shipped from Copenhagen. 

Never had an issue since and I have put about 10K shots on the camera so far. 
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 11, 2017, 03:36:26 pm
This seems to be the case with medium format cameras, including Leica...

Phase One repairs are contractually obligated to 7-10 business days on components for which a loan is not provided.

IQ3 and IQ2 systems come with a 5-year warranty on all components (back, body, lens, viewfinder) with no actuation limit and provides a loaner within 24 hours of any problem (as a dealer we can often provide one faster than that) which is yours as long as the repair/service takes. This includes any case where the repair itself is not covered by warranty (i.e. if you drop your camera several feet onto concrete you'll get a free loaner while it is repaired even though you'll need to pay for the repair).
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 11, 2017, 03:39:37 pm
The mirror on my XF malfunctioned the 2nd day out of the box.  My dealer told me it was most likely a shorted circuit on the board, a fluke, but, in any event, unacceptable.  Within two days, I had a new XF body in my hands shipped from Copenhagen. 

Never had an issue since and I have put about 10K shots on the camera so far.

Bathtub Curve Failures (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve) are terrible for everyone (client, dealer, manufacturer). However, across all mechanical equipment it is a reality. You're much more likely to have an issue in the first few days in than the same period of time a year later. It's things like solder jobs that visually look solid but which have some imperfection that causes an issue only a few days in; if the solder is done perfectly it will last essentially indefinitely, but if it's not perfect that won't necessarily show in the pre-shipping tests. Such problems are the arch enemy of QC folks, and I think Phase One has done a great job reducing them to a minimum, but you can never get to zero.

Phase One, of course, tests gear before it ships. But as a dealer we retest it before shipping to the client, in order to avoid any "it didn't work when I received it" client deliveries (as well as make sure that the firmware is up to date and the individual components purchased all are working correctly together).

I always tell our clients that I can't promise they won't have problems. Some percentage will, no matter the price point, the QC done, or the quality of the product. I can only promise we'll respond quickly and well if they do.
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 11, 2017, 03:44:34 pm
I sent my H5-40 into Hasselblad on January 27. They received it the following day. The New Jersey repair facility couldn't replace the filter (really, how hard is that?) so they had to send it to Sweden. It's presently April 11th. I called to find out the status of the repair. The camera is awaiting final it's final QC check before returning it to me. Unfortunately, that was the status of the repair when I called two weeks ago. How can a camera sit for two weeks (and counting) without getting checked out for return?

What does your dealer have to say about this? What have they done to rectify the situation?
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: JoeKitchen on April 11, 2017, 03:47:17 pm
Bathtub Curve Failures (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve) are terrible for everyone (client, dealer, manufacturer). However, across all mechanical equipment it is a reality. You're much more likely to have an issue in the first few days in than the same period of time a year later. It's things like solder jobs that visually look solid but which have some imperfection that causes an issue only a few days in; if the solder is done perfectly it will last essentially indefinitely, but if it's not perfect that won't necessarily show in the pre-shipping tests. Such problems are the arch enemy of QC folks, and I think Phase One has done a great job reducing them to a minimum, but you can never get to zero.

Phase One, of course, tests gear before it ships. But as a dealer we retest it before shipping to the client, in order to avoid any "it didn't work when I received it" client deliveries (as well as make sure that the firmware is up to date and the individual components purchased all are working correctly together).

I always tell our clients that I can't promise they won't have problems. Some percentage will, no matter the price point, the QC done, or the quality of the product. I can only promise we'll respond quickly and well if they do.

Of course.  I have no issue with this, and think it was very well resolved.   ;)

I was pointing out that PhaseOne has great service, especially if you deal with a top notch dealer. 
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Paul2660 on April 11, 2017, 05:04:35 pm
I am not sure how different the turnaround is with Phase One or Pentax. My understanding is that their repairs go back to Denmark and Japan, respectively. Does Fuji have a full service capability for the GFX in the US that will cover all repairs? This is why I always got the hot swap warranty with Phase backs.

Fuji in the US has an offering for pro service on the GFX.  Cost is 495.00 per year. Literature claims a loaner will be considered due to the nature of repair. I called Fuji US on this and it seems that some repairs can be effected in the US but if the camera needed to go back to Japan the. The loaner would then be considered. Pentax has a similar offering for the 645z but I believe it a one time charge for 3 years.

I have not signed up as of yet.

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: fotagf8 on April 11, 2017, 06:19:26 pm
The Fuji program is described at http://www.fpsgfxusa.com.  It includes 4 Check and Clean Program Service Vouchers, two business day turnaround on Check and Clean services, 30% discount on non-warranty repairs, expedited two business day turnaround for repairs, and product loans "may be available upon request..."  The annual membership fee is $499. 

Obviously any one signing up will want to read the detailed program terms and conditions.

Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: hcubell on April 11, 2017, 07:36:50 pm
The Fuji program is described at http://www.fpsgfxusa.com.  It includes 4 Check and Clean Program Service Vouchers, two business day turnaround on Check and Clean services, 30% discount on non-warranty repairs, expedited two business day turnaround for repairs, and product loans "may be available upon request..."  The annual membership fee is $499. 

Obviously any one signing up will want to read the detailed program terms and conditions.

Product loans "may" be available? That's not reasssuring.
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: AnthonyM on April 12, 2017, 02:08:17 pm
Having to send faulty equipment back to Japan is no excuse at all.  A maximum of 24 hours each way is all that is involved. 
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Joe Towner on April 12, 2017, 04:22:02 pm
Don't get me started on shipping issues.  The biggest complaint I have of Hasselblad is the lack of communication, updates and general services when you send stuff in for repair.  Anything more than 30 days is unacceptable, even going to Sweden.  I mean, if you had replacement loaner gear, you'd be able to function. 

If you had business insurance coverage for replacement rentals, they'd be screaming about paying more than a CPO replacement of the -40.
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: fotagf8 on April 12, 2017, 06:23:23 pm
GFX Update:  I called Fuji today with a question regarding settings.  While I was on the phone, I asked about where repairs will be completed.  I was told all GFX 50s camera repairs that are shipped to the New Jersey location will be serviced in New Jersey, and that all technicians working on GFX cameras in New Jersey were trained in Japan. 
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: jng on April 13, 2017, 01:29:09 am
Crazy. The very night I brought home my IQ160 (a "factory refurbished" unit), I managed to break the little door covering the USB port. Doh! The next morning I sheepishly called my dealer (Bear Images). I was barely able to finish my tale of woe before they started apologizing profusely, accepted full responsibility (for my clumsy mistake!) and told me they would take care of it. Long story short, they sent it back to Phase One for the repair, which was performed under warranty and included a calibration service AND they gave me an IQ260 as a loaner, even though I didn't have a value-added warranty on the back. I don't make a living shooting pictures so at worst I would have been a little inconvenienced by my own clumsiness. But knowing that my dealer and the manufacturer had my back (literally and figuratively) from day one made a strong and lasting impression on me. I think it all boils down to whether a company has established a corporate culture - from the CEO down to the people interacting with their end users - that's geared toward cultivating loyalty among its customers.

With that said, I've had good interactions with the service department at Hasselblad-Bron as well. There are good people everywhere - you either have to get lucky or just know where to find them.

John
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: kenkenman on April 16, 2017, 06:33:46 pm
That's pretty much my story when I sent my H4D into HB in Jersey back in December 2016. It took months and a trip to Sweden for my IR filter to be replaced. And no emails or phone calls about its status until I started complaining to them. It was so incredibly frustrating. Even a Phase rep I met on set last year was more helpful about trying to help me repair my camera when I mentioned it to him (and for a camera he doesn't even sell!).

Their lack of customer service is a serious knock against getting a 'blad...
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: gigdagefg on April 16, 2017, 08:00:33 pm
I am currently using. P1, but when I had a Hassey ( I had four), the service was outstanding
Stanley
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Juanito on April 18, 2017, 09:46:28 pm
I am currently using. P1, but when I had a Hassey ( I had four), the service was outstanding
Stanley
My experience with New Jersey service has been great. It's once it goes to Sweden that you're wondering if your gear has been shipped to an alternative universe where time slows to an unbearable crawl.

John
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: Juanito on April 18, 2017, 09:50:15 pm
Update: I got a call today from Hasselblad saying that my camera is being shipped back to me. Received email tracking information as well. Looking forward to having my H5 back in my hands. Once I do, I'll send my X1D in. Hoping for a more positive result.
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: straightbanana on April 18, 2017, 10:14:05 pm
Sorry to hear of your issues, you stuff is way fancier than mine and I would expect much more from Hasselblad that what you;ve had so far.

As this is a rant on Hasselblad service, I feel I am the King of the service disasters with Hasselblad.
My repair or at least non repair of my Hasselblad CFV back is 11 months and counting.

Now to be fair it was Hasselblad UK that were of no help and the key reason of the time delay in getting this issue sorted, well, that and my move to Sweden.

So far Hasselblad Sweden, who do appear to be making the right noises to fix (now they offered to swop my back for one that actually works this was from an email on the 10th of April) has taken over a month to get this far.

I've made a thread about the whole situation. if anyone wants to revel in my pain?
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=117095.0

I'm now patiently waiting for the Hasselblad Rep to contact me with when the swop will take place.
Title: Re: Is It Just Me or Does Hasselblad Service Always Suck?
Post by: J_M on April 19, 2017, 04:58:40 am
Sorry to hear about your issues.

When I bought my H6d-100c last fall there were some serious problems too. They had to deliver THREE different bodies until they could deliver one that actually worked. The dealer here in Germany, Calumet, was super cool and took care of everything. However, it took three months from the first delivery to finally giving me a working camera. It sounds like you got unlucky this time around, but maybe I did too.

Either or, the vendor here took good care of me. Definitely consider who you buy from next time around.