Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Krug on April 07, 2017, 02:08:50 pm

Title: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Krug on April 07, 2017, 02:08:50 pm
... we have a sort of hiatus - but there is an interesting if muted and subtle palette.

i posted these on Allen Bourgeois's Monochrom thread (and uncharacteristically had no response in a week - I hope he is not ill) as they are made with the MM and ZM18  -  a current enthusiasm.

They are typical of my local environment showing the state of small scale  farming scenes nowadays. your comments/critiques/thoughts are most welcome.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 07, 2017, 02:43:51 pm
Quiet but evocative. A very nice set of images.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Krug on April 08, 2017, 08:48:19 am
Thank you Eric - an opinion I value.

John.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: francois on April 10, 2017, 04:21:50 am
I like the soft mood and the traditional farming environment.
Well done.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 10, 2017, 04:22:24 am
Very good series.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Krug on April 10, 2017, 07:57:53 am
Thank you francois and Paulo for your comments - appreciated.

I mainly shoot where I choose to live as it what I relate to and understand - but of course it does not match the drama of much that is posted here and elsewhere .... but that  suits me fine. But makes your comments even more welcome.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: francois on April 10, 2017, 08:44:04 am
Thank you francois and Paulo for your comments - appreciated.

I mainly shoot where I choose to live as it what I relate to and understand - but of course it does not match the drama of much that is posted here and elsewhere .... but that  suits me fine. But makes your comments even more welcome.

Common places often yield better photos than well-known iconic  landmarks and yours are perfect exemples…
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 10, 2017, 09:28:25 am
And drama is often overrated.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: muntanela on April 13, 2017, 02:22:17 am
evocative

This was my first thought (in my poor english), exactly "evocative". For me (italian, never been in America) they are very evocative of my idea of the american landscape. They are also great photographs from a technical point of view.

P.S. What are MM and ZM18? Leica Monochrom and Zeiss ZM 18mm f/4 Distagon T ?
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Chairman Bill on April 13, 2017, 04:57:22 am
That's a fine set of monochrome landscapes. As Eric says, drama is often overdone, and I think that sometimes, dramatic doesn't stand repeated viewings in the way that a more subtle landscape does.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Krug on April 13, 2017, 08:03:09 pm
Thank you gentlemen all.

This is how I see and cherish landscape - in gentle monochrome some of the year, in pastel much of the year but rarely in brash technicolour even at the height of Summer - but that is probably my dimming eyes and many damp East Anglia decades now processing Ontario.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: sdwilsonsct on April 14, 2017, 11:46:41 pm
I like the repeated triangles in #4.
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Krug on April 15, 2017, 12:32:59 pm
Thank you Scott - appreciate the comment.
I think that, along with the 'mood', it was those triangles that drew my attention in the first place not just the chapel but the frame of the large trees and those in the background and even some of the gravestones themselves.
I say 'think' because - I suspect like many of us - I often find myself finding the reasons for selecting a particular view or aspect after I see the resulting image.  Not so much pre-visualisation of other than the generality of the view as the unconscious distilling of years of looking perhaps ?
Title: Re: Betwixt winter and spring ...
Post by: Krug on April 15, 2017, 12:45:59 pm
This was my first thought (in my poor english), exactly "evocative". For me (italian, never been in America) they are very evocative of my idea of the american landscape. They are also great photographs from a technical point of view.

P.S. What are MM and ZM18? Leica Monochrom and Zeiss ZM 18mm f/4 Distagon T ?


Good Morning muntanela  -  i think the views are characteristic of the changes in agriculture - and therefore 'landscape' itself in many parts of the developed world .... my native eastern England, parts of France and even parts of northern Italy - but certainly some areas of northern America.
Yes the Leica Monochrom (1) and the Zeiss 18mm f4 Distagon ZM - stopped down around f9.5 to f11.

There is no reason to mention 'poor English' you are very clea and fluent - when I go to Italy I have to rely on schoolboy Latin and much 'hand talk' !