Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on April 06, 2017, 09:30:41 pm

Title: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: chuckn on April 06, 2017, 09:30:41 pm
Dee's Restaurant sign. Comments....

Chuck
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 07, 2017, 12:28:22 am
I like.
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: francois on April 07, 2017, 04:45:24 am
I like it too... Processing transforms it into a timeless image.
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: graeme on April 07, 2017, 05:00:31 am
I like it too... Processing transforms it into a timeless image.

+1
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 07, 2017, 07:56:27 am
I don't know if Dee's might possibly be/have been a local chain, but it certainly juxtaposes the independent restaurants of old against the ubiquitous, international fast-food joints of the present. As others have commented, the processing really works for the image.
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: RSL on April 07, 2017, 08:49:20 am
Sorry, Chuck, but I just don't get it. There's a Dee's restaurant sign with an Arby's on the other side of the street. Dee's presumably is behind us. Maybe you were trying to do a Friedlander, but Lee's stuff usually had a point. I guess I'm just missing the point in this one.
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: chuckn on April 07, 2017, 04:52:29 pm
Sorry, Chuck, but I just don't get it. There's a Dee's restaurant sign with an Arby's on the other side of the street. Dee's presumably is behind us. Maybe you were trying to do a Friedlander, but Lee's stuff usually had a point. I guess I'm just missing the point in this one.

Russ, no point or statement to be made. Just an interesting urban landscape that caught my eye.

Chuck
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: Telecaster on April 07, 2017, 04:54:16 pm
What I take from this pic is the possibility that Dee's may no longer exist aside from the sign.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 07, 2017, 06:21:39 pm
The fact that Dee's only shows the sign while Arby's shows its building provides the desired ambiguity, IMHO.
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: BobDavid on April 08, 2017, 01:08:06 am
Sorry, I don't "see it" either. I think Russ's critique is on point.
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: BAB on April 08, 2017, 03:21:17 pm
Can you reshoot it so Dees is right of the building the Dees sign is a shape on a shape very distracting. I would move to the left to separate the objects or cross the street and shoot from the other side.
Title: Re: Dee's Restaurant
Post by: Telecaster on April 08, 2017, 05:25:01 pm
Yeah, I'd go back and do some more "takes."

-Dave-