Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 06, 2017, 07:01:57 pm
-
Comments?
Jeremy
-
Nice.
Doesn't look like Iceland, so it must be your typical English landscape. The Newcastle Canyon, perhaps?
-Eric
-
I'd rotate it slightly clockwise & crop off the bottom fifth of the image. Those light rocks in the foreground don't seem to be contributing much.
Yes Eric, Newcastle offers many spectacular vistas. ;)
-
I certainly would not crop the foreground - that rocky platform forms an indispensable visual anchor with which to interpret the rest of the image.
To me the colour of the sunset sky is merely the introduction to this image - the real interest value is in the subtly lit seried ranks of geological features in the middle ground.
BTW I do think that the best way to appreciate this image would be as a decent-sized print!
Tony Jay
-
It's a fine shot, Jeremy, but the horizon in the middle of the frame is a downer. Unfortunately you needed to keep as much of the clouds as you could, and you absolutely had to have the rock ledge at the bottom to anchor the thing. Tough situation. Would have been perfect for a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4, which would have let you grab more sky without losing the rock.
-
I agree with Russ.
So go back and shoot it again with a 2 1/4 square camera. ;)
Eric
-
Bring the horizon to a lower third, getting rid of the out-of-focus foreground rocks and the bush on the left, you'd probably end up with a 16:9 ratio. With a sky like that, who cares about geology? At some point, you have to make up your mind as to what is it that you want to show. Concentrate and isolate. Shoot geology mid-day, maybe some textbooks might be interested.
-
Although I'm a big fan of good foregrounds I'd probably crop this out of focus one out to wind up with the horizon on a 1/3 too.
Also, could it be a little over sharpened?
-
Everything about this image is spectacular, except the drab oof rocks in the foreground. I suggest cropping, and possibly cloning/content aware fill action to zap them.
Ideally, the photographer would have gone closer to the edge, to show more of the wonderful geology. But that might have had terminal consequences, and we would not have been able to enjoy the image.
-
Horse hockey! If you want to see what the picture looks like with the foreground rocks gone, download it and do the crop. Once the foreground rocks are gone, so is the picture.
-
I would get rid of the out of focus rocks in the foreground. If that ruins the image then so be it. I've never seen the Grand Canyon look so blue. :)
-
Horse hockey! If you want to see what the picture looks like with the foreground rocks gone, download it and do the crop. Once the foreground rocks are gone, so is the picture.
I did. And I preferred the result. It would have been even better if the photographer had moved closer, but that may not have been viable.
-
Viable?
-
Viable?
I suspect he meant survivable, and from memory it wouldn't have been.
Interesting discussion.
Jeremy