Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: N_N_Nikmat on April 04, 2017, 04:55:08 pm
-
Some experimentation with flash and rear curtain sync.
Thoughts?
-
The composition, elements, concept are great all around. I would look at bringing just a little "warmth"/color to skin tone areas and maybe in horizon area...a little too silvery and washed out. Bringing some tone to figure would make it stand out just a bit. Leveling horizon possibility here and also just cropping the bottom half/1/3 +/- to bring more focus to subject and "the action"
-
Rear curtain sync is an exciting and fun technique to experiment with.
It does, however, work better when the background/foreground is dark and the target is light. As you can see in your shot, you had what is in effect a double exposure concerning the model's legs and the water patterns. Balancing the lighting in rear curtain sync is the tough part.
Keep it up though. You can get a different and exciting look using rear curtain sync!
You got the composition right!
-
Thanks for your feedback.
It is definitely difficult to balance the light! Especially during the sunrise and with a moving target that won't stay still!
But I love the challenge and that's what keeps me coming back.
-
Shutter speed is the problem. With front curtain you'd have had the reverse of what you see here, with the water on top of the kid instead of the kid on top of the water
-
Shutter speed is the problem. With front curtain you'd have had the reverse of what you see here, with the water on top of the kid instead of the kid on top of the water
I suppose I was using a slower shutter to get some motion blur from the jumper. Is that what you mean?
I did use rear curtain sync so the motion blur comes after the jumper and not in front of him.