Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on April 04, 2017, 06:02:44 am

Title: Kettled
Post by: stamper on April 04, 2017, 06:02:44 am
I don't think it is the police she is referring to.
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: Otto Phocus on April 04, 2017, 06:41:13 am
She is certanly making a statement  ;D
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: Rob C on April 04, 2017, 06:45:04 am
Holy shit! That's a girl?

No wonder I gave up being a photographer.
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 04, 2017, 06:51:20 am
Great shot. Had to look up the URL on her placard -- Unite Against Fascism. Seems to be focused against nationalism/populism/racism, etc.
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: RSL on April 04, 2017, 07:23:11 am
Maybe she doesn't realize that WW II is over and that we won.
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: graeme on April 04, 2017, 08:29:01 am
Maybe she doesn't realize that WW II is over and that we won.

Plenty of silly young white men are still attracted to Nazism ( I've known a few ) in the same way that plenty of silly young Muslim men are attracted to IS.

The trouble is that there aren't many people left in Europe who can remember WW2 or the misery that nazism caused so it seems heartening that the girl is concerned enough about it to go out & demonstrate.

She looks about the same age as my idiot nieces - all they're interested in is cars, phones & crap television.
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: graeme on April 04, 2017, 08:32:46 am
Holy shit! That's a girl?

No wonder I gave up being a photographer.

I think she looks quite sweet.

I left school in 1980. The only people who looked any good in that bloody awful decade were the punk / alternative crowd.

( I used to have a fab pair of black snakeskin jeans ).
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: RSL on April 04, 2017, 08:33:53 am
Plenty of silly young white men are still attracted to Nazism ( I've known a few ) in the same way that plenty of silly young Muslim men are attracted to IS.

The trouble is that there aren't many people left in Europe who can remember WW2 or the misery that nazism caused so it seems heartening that the girl is concerned enough about it to go out & demonstrate.

She looks about the same age as my idiot nieces - all they're interested in is cars, phones & crap television.

Sorry Graeme, but that kid hasn't a clue about the misery of Naziism. It's nothing but a phantom word to her. She doesn't even know what Naziism was, and I doubt she's worried about Germany overtaking Europe.
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: graeme on April 04, 2017, 01:28:53 pm
Sorry Graeme, but that kid hasn't a clue about the misery of Naziism. It's nothing but a phantom word to her. She doesn't even know what Naziism was, and I doubt she's worried about Germany overtaking Europe.

It looks like she's a member of an Anti Fascist organisation.

She may have had friends beaten up by nazi skinheads. ( I have ).
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 04, 2017, 03:16:45 pm
It looks like she's a member of an Anti Fascist organisation.

She may have had friends beaten up by nazi skinheads. ( I have ).

It's possible. Or, and probably more likely, she is using the word to refer to anyone with a political view to the right of Corbyn.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 04, 2017, 05:49:19 pm
It's possible. Or, and probably more likely, she is using the word to refer to anyone with a political view to the right of Corbyn.

Jeremy
Why exclude Corbyn? 
A working definition of Nazi in the present might be: "Anyone who doesn't agree with me in every detail."
Of course, that's the same definition Trump uses for "Liberal."

Eric
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 05, 2017, 02:52:20 am
Why exclude Corbyn? 
A working definition of Nazi in the present might be: "Anyone who doesn't agree with me in every detail."
Of course, that's the same definition Trump uses for "Liberal."

Eric

Yes, fair enough. I wondered about that even as I wrote my comment. She probably thinks he's a dangerous right-winger, too.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Kettled
Post by: stamper on April 05, 2017, 07:31:36 am
It looks like she's a member of an Anti Fascist organisation.

She may have had friends beaten up by nazi skinheads. ( I have ).

You could well be correct. Image taken in Edinburgh, Scotland. Hundreds of anti Fascist's demonstrating against a handful of Fascist's. The policeman on the left seemed very anxious to "handle" the kilted protester and keep her away from the other protesters.