Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Pete JF on April 03, 2017, 06:32:23 pm

Title: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: Pete JF on April 03, 2017, 06:32:23 pm
Im looking for a Mac friendly keyboard that has nice feel, usb ports, and has backlit keys for my editing/printing area etc..

what are you folks using?


Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: Peano on April 03, 2017, 07:16:07 pm
Whatever you buy, go mechanical. I highly recommend this (https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/) source (many brands and features).
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: Pete JF on April 04, 2017, 12:19:50 pm
Hey..thanks, that's cool.

Yes, I'm a fan of mechanical boards for sure..

What are you currently using, Peano?
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on April 04, 2017, 12:55:05 pm
 If I may, I found that the having the color coded keyboard covers very helpful. I alternate between PS, LR, and FCPX all on a Mac of course. I have no affiliation with this company, I just have had very good luck with their products http://kbcovers.com, I'm sure there are others that make covers for PC centric users as well.

 Kevin in CT
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: Peano on April 04, 2017, 01:20:52 pm
Hey..thanks, that's cool.

Yes, I'm a fan of mechanical boards for sure..

What are you currently using, Peano?
I have this (https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1821) Filco, with a Wacom tablet beside it.
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: davidgp on April 05, 2017, 02:29:55 am
Not sure if it they meet your requirements, at home I use a Das keyboard Ultimate: http://www.daskeyboard.com (I bought it several years ago... When mechanical were doing a come back and it was not easy, for not saying impossible to find one with Spanish layout, so, not having any marks on the key was useful for me).

At work now I'm using a Ducky TKL keyboard - https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&m=1 , they are retro illuminated... But I think there is no Mac version... So for a Mac you do to perform some key remapping to have the Command, Control and Option in the same position as your old keyboard...


Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: Pete JF on April 05, 2017, 12:57:50 pm
Thanks Peano and David.

Kevin: Not sure I need a cover template..just a bit of light under the keys when my room is dimmed for editing and printing and nice responsive board

Just saying -Im stunned at how many keyboards are out there.

..Been researching this stuff the last few days and it's a bit overwhelming. What a huge market that I never really  thought about.

Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: davidgp on April 06, 2017, 02:16:25 am

..Been researching this stuff the last few days and it's a bit overwhelming. What a huge market that I never really  thought about.

As in cameras, now the money is in the high end stuff... The PC market is decreasing in general, but I read somewhere that the gaming PC industry is increasing, you see now a lot of companies doing high end products for gaming rigs, that includes mechanical keyboards...

I'm not gamer... But it makes easy to find mechanical keyboards for typing without too much RGB led lights...
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: Pete JF on April 06, 2017, 09:46:01 am
Bought one..anAzio MK mac Illuminated (http://www.aziocorp.com/webe/html/products/index2.aspx?num=130)

Was $99.00

Like the feel (mechanical) not too loud.

Like the backlight..high/low/off..(wish they had slightly lower light level setting)

Volume scroll wheel and mute button..meaningless for me, I'd take a regular key for that.

HATE the graphics on the 'Shift-Combo" keys..they changed it to side by side as opposed to on top of each other..IMO no real logic for this.
and for some reason this really pisses me off..I'll get over it i guess, as i grow into being a better human being??

All in all after 1 day things feel pretty good on this board..

I was gonna jump into a Matias but they don't have a lighted, mechanical, USB ported model just yet..Saved $50 here through it's ok.

Otherwise..I wish I had a couple of USB ports on the keyboard but..whatever.
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: Doug Gray on April 06, 2017, 02:00:44 pm
Not sure if it they meet your requirements, at home I use a Das keyboard Ultimate: http://www.daskeyboard.com (I bought it several years ago... When mechanical were doing a come back and it was not easy, for not saying impossible to find one with Spanish layout, so, not having any marks on the key was useful for me).

At work now I'm using a Ducky TKL keyboard - https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&m=1 , they are retro illuminated... But I think there is no Mac version... So for a Mac you do to perform some key remapping to have the Command, Control and Option in the same position as your old keyboard...


Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

I'll second the DAS keyboard. Solid, nice over center feel, and a nice click to it. Bought mine about 5 years ago.
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: red2 on June 03, 2017, 03:13:12 pm
I love the Apple Extended Keyboard. (http://lowendmac.com/2006/the-legendary-apple-extended-keyboard/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard) These were included with early Macs (Mac II, Mac IIci, etc.) I saved a couple, cleaned them, and continue to use one with my MacPro. Probably hard to find, but if you can get a good one you will like it. Requires an adapter since these old keyboards did not use USB (used Apple Desktop Bus connectors). The adapter works fine with my current system (OS X 10.11.6). The adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-2001-ADB-iMate-Universal-adapter/dp/B000067V8L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496517084&sr=8-1&keywords=adb+to+usb+adapter
Title: Re: What Keyboards Are You guys Using??
Post by: smahn on October 31, 2017, 12:20:41 am
http://matias.ca/aluminum/backlit/

Just like the apple extended but w/ black backlit keys like the macbook pros. Very nice.