Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on April 03, 2017, 08:19:20 am

Title: Argyll waterfall
Post by: KMRennie on April 03, 2017, 08:19:20 am
Taken on Saturday. Trying to get the shutter speed that shows some motion but retains detail is the challenge. I realise that this style of image is way out of fashion but so what. Ken
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 03, 2017, 11:08:19 am
Well, I like it.
But Peter Ait would like each and every droplet to be in sharp focus and frozen in time.   ;)
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: kers on April 03, 2017, 11:55:51 am
Like it and especially the contrast - the dark colours..
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 03, 2017, 02:10:54 pm
Trying to get the shutter speed that shows some motion but retains detail is the challenge.

I think you nailed it. I don't care if it's in or out of fashion. It fits this subject, IMO.
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 03, 2017, 02:52:40 pm
Taken on Saturday. Trying to get the shutter speed that shows some motion but retains detail is the challenge. I realise that this style of image is way out of fashion but so what. Ken

Sod fashion. That's good. Perhaps a slightly shorter exposure might have been better, but it's marginal.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: stamper on April 04, 2017, 03:55:52 am
Still in fashion imo. A fine image.
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: KMRennie on April 08, 2017, 08:52:26 am
Thanks everyone. Positive comments keep me going. Ken
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: RSL on April 08, 2017, 10:00:25 am
Here's another one, KM: For a waterfall picture it's pretty darn good.
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: francois on April 10, 2017, 03:14:01 am
In fashion or not, I don't care but I like it a lot.
Well done.
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: BAB on April 10, 2017, 10:41:15 am
I like it I would love it if you happen to have a few exposures that you could blend together to make the pond ethereal ,the water fall smooth and the spray in tack focus.
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: KMRennie on April 11, 2017, 08:48:14 am
Strange that you mention in BAB. This iamge is actually 3 shots merged. The fall @ 1/4s; the splash on the rocks @1/13s; the water below the fall @1.3s. I had the idea while there of experimanting as you said. Unfortunately I hadn't worked out how nice it would be and by the time that I had the sun had come round the edge of the hill and was both starting to light up the water with dappled light and shining on me which would had caused flare if I had removed the lens hood and started to fit my Lee ND filters. I could return but it is a 250 mile round trip but I have it stored.
Anyway I had a play with more aggressive sharpening and taking all of my "pool" shots and applying some median filtering to try and soften the pool and here it is. It looks nicer to my eyes but it may be just the increase in contrast and sharpening seducing me and in the long run it may look overblown. Any comments?
Ken
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: MattBurt on April 11, 2017, 01:42:39 pm
I really like it and the second one even more. I'm pretty unfashionable (just ask my wife or son) so those matters do not concern me. :)
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: luxborealis on April 11, 2017, 08:16:02 pm
Fabulous work, Ken. An ideal blend given what you shot.

Could you further smooth out the water below the falls using a blur? If not, it's still a keeper.
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: KMRennie on April 12, 2017, 06:39:24 am
Thanks Matt and Terry. I have already blurred the pool a little any more and it turns into a mush. I have hundreds of shots of the bottom of different falls and could easily clone one in which would probably look better but would bother me. I don't mind juggling with multiple images taken in the same location but it would feel "wrong" to add something from another location just to make a slightly better image.
I did use the bottom of the falls in an AV presentation and I like the cropped version as you can start to see the detail in the rocks. I hope that printing it large will allow me the same detailed view.
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: luxborealis on April 12, 2017, 08:13:46 pm
This last one is, perhaps, the most beautiful of the three.
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 18, 2017, 02:55:55 pm
This last one is, perhaps, the most beautiful of the three.

Not perhaps.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Argyll waterfall
Post by: KMRennie on April 23, 2017, 04:41:53 pm
Thanks again Terry and Jeremy. I did try printing the whole image and it has no snap. It could be my printing technique or that too much of the detail lies at the extremes of the tonal scheme and doesn't look good on paper. Something more for me to learn perhaps. Ken