Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on March 26, 2017, 07:46:10 am

Title: the cage
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 26, 2017, 07:46:10 am
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 26, 2017, 08:35:43 am
It looks appropriately sinister. Well seen.

But I can't see the moat with the piranhas in it!

-Eric
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: RSL on March 26, 2017, 08:43:01 am
Good shooting, Jeremy!
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: BobDavid on March 27, 2017, 06:17:40 pm
Nice
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 27, 2017, 09:08:10 pm
Strong.
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: graeme on March 28, 2017, 04:54:51 am
Nice work.

Where is it? It looks naggingly familiar.
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: stamper on March 28, 2017, 06:07:37 am
Well done!
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: JNB_Rare on March 28, 2017, 10:14:57 am
Strong.

Yes, that would be my word for it too.
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: MattBurt on March 28, 2017, 12:50:33 pm
I like it very much. You attention to correction (I assume) made the geometry just right and the rest of the shot is great too. Good one!
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 28, 2017, 02:52:48 pm
Thank you, all. "Strong" will do very nicely!

Graeme, it's at Lyme Park, a few hundred yards from the main house.

Matt, it's the first time I have felt that I'd really like to have had a T/S lens with me. The only place out of the very strong wind that I could get a sharp long exposure shot (and this was long, using an IR filter) was downhill, so I was looking well up. LR's autocorrect on the verticals was a good start but seemed to overdo it, so I pulled it back a little.

I took it for a friend with whom I share a room at work. She remarked over lunch a few months ago that she'd like a photograph of it, as it's where her husband proposed to her 15 years or so ago, on a miserable, windy, rainy day. It was her birthday today, so I gave her a print.

Jeremy
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 28, 2017, 03:09:58 pm
... LR's autocorrect on the verticals was a good start but seemed to overdo it, so I pulled it back a little...

Jeremy, I think you did well to pull back a little.

I am actually inclined to suggest even more "pulling back," i.e., to leave it more distorted, keystoning (if that is the right word). It might not be the right thing to do for an architectural shot, but aesthetically it would create a more soaring, imposing structure, for this shot, contributing even more to the feeling of "strong." Worth experimenting, I'd say.
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: MattBurt on March 28, 2017, 03:18:46 pm
I agree Lightroom can overdo the correction. Also the point of making the distortion convey more imposing is a good one but I assume you saw it that way and chose this instead. Looks good to me!
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: graeme on March 28, 2017, 09:29:56 pm
Graeme, it's at Lyme Park, a few hundred yards from the main house.


Bloody hell. I knew I d been there. Only live about 3/4 hour away. I've probably got a photo of the building, but you've done a better job than me.
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 29, 2017, 02:28:43 pm
Graeme, it's about the same distance from me (I live in Didsbury), although the traffic was truly dreadful that day and it took me over an hour.

Slobodan, interesting idea.

Jeremy
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: graeme on March 29, 2017, 08:08:20 pm
Graeme, it's about the same distance from me (I live in Didsbury), although the traffic was truly dreadful that day and it took me over an hour.

Slobodan, interesting idea.

Jeremy

We were over in Didsbury the other day to check out some work & I know all about the traffic around the M60.

Graeme
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 31, 2017, 02:52:04 pm
Here's another from the same day. I used a big stopper for this one, rather than an IR filter. The sky has some weird blotchiness, which I can't quite understand, but it has more of the streaky clouds.

Jeremy
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: RSL on March 31, 2017, 02:56:02 pm
Jeremy, that blotchiness in the sky is called "clouds."  :)
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 31, 2017, 06:18:57 pm
Jeremy, that blotchiness in the sky is called "clouds."  :)
What looks strange to Jeremy is that the clouds (and drizzle) don't cover the entire sky.

This one is a nice photo, but I love the sinister mood of the IR version.

Eric
Title: Re: the cage
Post by: francois on April 02, 2017, 06:16:02 am
I also vote for the first version, "Sinister".