Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2017, 12:25:50 am

Title: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2017, 12:25:50 am
The hilltop town of Castelluccio, nestled next to the Monti Sibillini National Park in Umbria was one of the most memorable places I visited on my 6-week trip to Italy in 2006. I recently became aware that the village was seriously damaged during the earthquakes that struck last summer, and I understand that the roads into Castelluccio are still not passable. Most of the 150 residents were airlifted out, the exceptions being a few farmers and shepherds. I fervently hope they will be able to rebuild.

I have revisited my images from that trip and reprocessed a few of my favorites. Here are four.

     1. The village
     2. and 3.  Views of the Sibillini mountains
     4.  Morning mists and the Sibillinis

-Eric
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: 32BT on March 24, 2017, 03:00:25 am
I envy you, an Italy-roadtrip is at the top of my wishlist/bucketlist/whateverlist, particularly because of those hilltop villages.

Do I see chromatic aberration in your pictures? Or is it my eye-sight... 8-\
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: Rob C on March 24, 2017, 04:57:11 am
It's raining today, and looking at the pictured snow makes me feel even more miserable! Though I have felt more cold this winter - perhaps age/health induced rather than actual temperatures - it hasn't rained that much, and one forgets how annoying rain can be, despite being vital. The reason I say this is because I'd intended going out for lunch today, and I'd have to park in a field... I used to eat out almost every day, but Bloody Brexit has cost me about 20% of the pension's value, so I self-cater a lot more; I'm still trying to work out which is more expensive: cooking or eating out. I hope that doing it at home turns out the more expensive option, then I can get some of my time back!

I would be very tempted to work on these pictures in black/white, Eric.

Rob
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2017, 09:13:28 am
I envy you, an Italy-roadtrip is at the top of my wishlist/bucketlist/whateverlist, particularly because of those hilltop villages.

Do I see chromatic aberration in your pictures? Or is it my eye-sight... 8-\
Our six-week trip in 2006 was in celebration of my retirement. It was fantastic, and we stayed mostly at Agroturismos (=Farm Bed and Breakfasts), so we got to meet many lovely people.

The first of these photos looks a bit strange to my eyes. Checking the details I find that it was taken with a pocket Canon S60 point-and-shoot. The others were taken with my Canon 10D. I'm sorry I didn't use the bigger Canon to get a view of the whole village.
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: RSL on March 24, 2017, 09:46:24 am
Good shooting, Eric. Especially #1. The composition in that one is exactly right for square format. Bravo!
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2017, 09:55:44 am
I would be very tempted to work on these pictures in black/white, Eric.

Rob
I agree, Rob.

While I was on that trip, the colors seemed overwhelming and I (surprisingly for me) didn't seriously consider converting to B&W. I guess that was partly because I was new to digital and so enjoying being able to do my own color. For years my only color work had been Kodachromes, sent to Mother Kodak for processing.

Seeing Hans Kruse's beautiful black-and-whites of this area has rekindled the urge to convert some of them. I'll make that a "rush job," so I'll probably be ready to post a few in another two or three months. In the meantime, I'll post more of the already-processed color ones soon.

Eric
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2017, 09:57:19 am
Good shooting, Eric. Especially #1. The composition in that one is exactly right for square format. Bravo!
Thanks, Russ.

Yes, the village itself seemed to be designed for square format.
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: francois on March 24, 2017, 12:56:38 pm
Superb set of images. The damage (the last quake) seems considerable and it'll take time to rebuild the village.
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2017, 02:39:50 pm
Here are four more (still in color):

   5.   A herd of sheep, Sibillini mountains in background
   6.   Sibillinis with low clouds
   7.    and 8.   Ruins from an earlier time.

-Eric
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: BobDavid on March 24, 2017, 05:25:49 pm
Thanks, Russ.

Yes, the village itself seemed to be designed for square format.

Very nice set of photos. ...  I like your comment about the village having been designed for the 1:1 aspect ratio.
Title: Re: Castelluccio di Norcia, Italy, 2006
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2017, 06:23:44 pm
Thanks, Bob.

And it was certainly designed for a better camera than the Canon S60 I shot the first photo with.

-Eric