Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Kevin Gallagher on March 23, 2017, 09:58:57 am

Title: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on March 23, 2017, 09:58:57 am
 I know I'm probably very late to the party on this feature, but retouching is something I haven't fiddled with in a few years. I always used Katrin Eisman's books as my guide and I've learned and used MANY of her techniques to do some restoration or retouching projects. With all that said, a neighbor asked if I could repair an old photo of her parents' wedding day. I took a stab at it and started off with the usual (for me) cloning stamp to repair the many tears and scratches in the picture. I then remembered the healing brush and thought I'd give the "Content Aware" thing a try. Well, what I thought was going to take me an hour or two wound up taking all of 10 MINUTES!! I can't say enough about how easy this tool made the job. Granted, for most it probably would be a simple job but for me it was not something I thought would go easy. I'm adding a before and after pic below with the owner's permission

   Before
(http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/165171479.jpg)


And After

(http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/165171480.jpg)


Thanks For Looking
Kevin Gallagher
Kevin In CT
Title: Re: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
Post by: Bob Rockefeller on March 23, 2017, 10:04:34 am
This was done with Photoshop, I assume? Or Affinity Photo?
Title: Re: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on March 23, 2017, 10:36:45 am
This was done with Photoshop, I assume? Or Affinity Photo?

Given the reference to Katrin Eismann's books, I assume that Kevin uses Photoshop. Glad that Kevin discovered the tool, it's really useful, and it can be confined to a specific region by prior selection.

Affinity Photo's 'Inpainting' brush (or Edit|Inpainting), on a selection, would achieve similar results.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on March 23, 2017, 12:21:09 pm
 Hi Bob, that was indeed done with Photoshop, I'm not at all sure how long that particular tool has been in there but I'm using the PS/LR combo subscription version.

 Hiya Bart, I actually had the good fortune to meet Katrin some years back, she was at her booth in Photo Plus Expo, a very knowledgeable and gracious lady for sure!

Kevin Gallagher
Kevin In CT
Title: Re: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
Post by: syncrasy on March 23, 2017, 12:27:27 pm
Curious... in my Photoshop CS6, I don't have any tool called "Content Aware Healing Brush." I have a Spot Healing Brush Tool and a Content-Aware Move Tool. Is there a different tool in newer versions? Or are you using one of the two tools I mentioned?
Title: Re: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on March 23, 2017, 12:38:01 pm
Curious... in my Photoshop CS6, I don't have any tool called "Content Aware Healing Brush." I have a Spot Healing Brush Tool and a Content-Aware Move Tool. Is there a different tool in newer versions? Or are you using one of the two tools I mentioned?

Hi Mark,

On my CS6 Extended, the Spot Healing brush and Patch healing brush have a Content-Aware option on the context menu at the top.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
Post by: syncrasy on March 23, 2017, 12:49:57 pm
On my CS6 Extended, the Spot Healing brush and Patch healing brush have a Content-Aware option on the context menu at the top.

Aha! I forgot to look up there. And I had Content-Aware selected. Thanks, Bart.
Title: Re: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
Post by: barry685 on March 23, 2017, 05:14:14 pm
Even though Cs6 has content aware the algorithm has improved significantly in newer versions.