Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: mseawell on March 21, 2017, 09:45:45 pm
-
My wife and I are looking at making the drive from Utah to the Valley of Fire state park. I was wondering if anyone has been and what are so absolute must sees while there. I know I want to see the "wave" while we are visiting and wonder what is the best time of day to capture it. Thanks in advance!
Mark
-
You might want to do a little more location research. Valley of Fire is in Nevada. The classic "Wave" location is near the Utah / Arizona border if that is what you're looking for.
-
My wife and I are looking at making the drive from Utah to the Valley of Fire state park. I was wondering if anyone has been and what are so absolute must sees while there. I know I want to see the "wave" while we are visiting and wonder what is the best time of day to capture it. Thanks in advance!
Stephen is right about VoF being in Nevada, but he's confusing The Wave with the rather less spectacular one in the Valley. I went to the Fire Wave late in the day, but I'm not sure it really matters much: there's little in the way of shadows. I took this one: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103598.msg850243#msg850243.
There's an e-guide to the Valley of Fire available here (http://www.synnatschke.com/e-guides/store.php). It has some really useful pointers and I found the grid references very handy. The tiny cave they call Windstone Arch is picturesque but jolly hard to find, even with the GPS location they provide. Worth the effort, though.
Jeremy
-
I was just there a week ago and it's a fine location. I don't see a preference between early/late time of day. It was unusually hot so bring enough water and a hat!
-
Thanks for all the info and the link Jeremy! Much appreciated.
Mark
-
My wife and I were there recently and really enjoyed the park though we couldn't do it justice in the short time we were there. PhotographAmerica.com publishes photography guides at a very reasonable rate and has one for this area. I find them especially useful if you are on a tight schedule and want to make sure you visit the area highlights.
If you are a Star Trek fan, you will recognize the spot in this park where Captain Kirk died in one of the movies. :)
Have a great trip.
Miles
-
Great place!
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/681/22702449936_d198f8dc94_k.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/AA8ZqC)_MG_3325 (https://flic.kr/p/AA8ZqC) by A. Dias (https://www.flickr.com/photos/adias/), on Flickr
More photos HERE (https://flic.kr/s/aHskdrMLvq).