Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on March 21, 2017, 06:52:28 pm

Title: Surprise
Post by: KMRennie on March 21, 2017, 06:52:28 pm
Taken at Surprise View looking across Derwentwater in the English Lake District. Taken the same day as the Watendlath Beck image. Ten minutes either side of this snow storm it is dry and sunny. This a 3 shot panorama hand held, no time to set up before the snow and high wind hit. Ken
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: JNB_Rare on March 21, 2017, 07:59:27 pm
Two thumbs up!
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 21, 2017, 11:57:41 pm
Two thumbs up!
And two more!
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: drmike on March 22, 2017, 03:34:14 am
Two thumbs up!

Shades of photoSIG?
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: francois on March 22, 2017, 06:20:51 am
A powerful shot… splendid!
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: stamper on March 22, 2017, 08:21:23 am
A very fine image.
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: JNB_Rare on March 22, 2017, 08:43:06 am
Shades of photoSIG?

Siskel & Ebert, actually. The phrase "Two Thumbs Up" was actually trademarked by them, so my bad for using it.  ::)
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: KMRennie on March 22, 2017, 08:59:15 am
The Thumbs ups and photoSIG are somewhat lost of me. "We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language." Oscar Wilde. I did figure that you all liked it but I had to use Google to find out what it actually meant. Ken
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: MattBurt on March 22, 2017, 09:01:11 am
Nice catch! Love the drama.
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: JNB_Rare on March 22, 2017, 10:57:20 am
The Thumbs ups and photoSIG are somewhat lost of me. "We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language." Oscar Wilde. I did figure that you all liked it but I had to use Google to find out what it actually meant. Ken

Yes, two thumbs up is high praise. Though my my mother was English and I learned many idioms from her, I still wasn't prepared for my first ever trip to the UK as a teenager in 1972. I stayed with my uncle and aunt in Sawston, Cambs. When I had to catch an early bus the next day, my uncle said "I'll knock you up in the morning!" Over here, getting "knocked up" typically means getting pregnant (well, it did in my day). Then at dinner-time I declined seconds, saying that I was "stuffed" (full). My uncle and cousin had a good laugh at that, and suggested that I shouldn't continue using that phrase.  ::)
Title: Re: Surprise
Post by: KMRennie on March 22, 2017, 11:38:33 am
Yes John
Knocking someone up and getting knocked up have completely different meanings here. Similar things happen in France where my wife declined more food by saying in French that she was stuffed slang French for Pregnant. Ken