Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: danag42 on July 31, 2006, 10:29:34 pm
-
I have been using several DSLR cameras, and since I started in the 1960's with film cameras, I have a lot of top of the line Pentax lenses. Imagine my suprise when I found out that the Pentax digital SLR's, of which the *st D is the more professional model, can use any K mount lens ever made. You have to use them only to the features that they are made with, for example my old K lenses work in metered manual mode on the new cameras.
But they work perfectly. You can even get an adapter to use the M42 screw mount lenses in metered manual, only restricted to the original features of the lens.
In spite of Nikon's claim to be compatable with old lenses, they don't hold a candle to Pentax. Some of those old M and A lenses are the best you can get, and they have a Limited series which I'm really impressed with.
Another shock was the viewfinders. They are as bright as the film cameras, compared to the Pentax finders the Nikon D70 is like looking through a dark tunnel!
I'm absolutely shocked! I purchased the *st D, and I plan to purcase the 10.3 megapixel K10D as soon as I can get my grubby paws on one. I now have a top-notch collection of lenses for my DSLR's, and I think I'm going to retire the copier-company cameras to concentrate on my collection of classic glass.
Just a heads up, sometimes the "conventional wisdom" isn't really all that wise!
(http://www.gartenphotography.com/private/emoticons/1a_teuflisch.gif)
-
After rebate the low end pentax digital can be had for something like $350. Dunno if one can still find them for that price but it is certainly a nice way to start the collection.
-
I can't argue with the logic, but how long will Pentax be in the '35mm' DSLR market for?
-
I agree, the Pentax VF is the best I've seen on a crop DSLR camera. It certainly was tempting and makes the Nikon, Canon and Oly crop VFs look like peepholes. I would have bought one but I've used EOS since 1990 and am heavily invested in Canon glass. Of course buying a 5D pretty much put my Pentax VF envy to rest...
-
I just got my 5D, too. But my first digital was a 10D, and at that time I disposed (regretfully) of all of my 30 years of beloved Pentax gear. I do wish they had come out with something good in the way of a digital SLR much earlier than they did.
But now Canon's got me (five lenses, almost all L-glass).
Eric