Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on March 06, 2017, 02:48:10 pm

Title: bright angel point
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 06, 2017, 02:48:10 pm
Thoughts? It was warmer than Iceland, but on a late October evening, not that much warmer.

Jeremy
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: RSL on March 06, 2017, 02:53:53 pm
Good light, Jeremy.
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 06, 2017, 07:58:24 pm
Good light, Jeremy.
Yes, it is.
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: MattBurt on March 07, 2017, 11:34:24 am
Good light and I like how you maximized getting interest in the frame while leaving out what I assume was a boring sky. Works well, and the highlights on the rocks really make the image pop. Good work!
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: rogerxnz on March 08, 2017, 09:31:38 pm
I think there is a lot of blue haze which is obscuring the true colours in the scene and I suspect has caused you to oversaturate the image to achieve the orange you saw when you took the picture.

Attached is a version on which I have tweaked the white balance to remove some of the blue cast.

I think the colours look better and you could remove some of the over-saturation if you wish.

Of course, if you like blue haze, your version is fine.
Roger
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: RSL on March 09, 2017, 07:07:42 am
Unh Unh
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 09, 2017, 07:51:12 am
... Of course, if you like blue haze, your version is fine.

When I was shooting the Grand Canyon, in the film days, I would deliberately remove the UV filter, knowing that would result in a stronger blue cast in the shadows. Why? It is all about the contrast: warm vs. cool, blue vs. orange, deep shadows vs. sunlit cliffs.

Speaking of contrast, I think Jeremy's image might benefit from closing some of the shadows a bit. Also, the "haze" is more cyan than blue, so I would move it more towards blue-magenta.
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 09, 2017, 02:06:00 pm
I see what you're getting at, Roger, but I don't like it much. The blue haze is very real and is what you see, particularly in the evening. I spent nearly three hours standing out there with my camera and tripod, watching the light change, the clouds move, the shadows lengthen: magical.

Jeremy
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: Telecaster on March 09, 2017, 05:31:07 pm
Yes, the blue cast is a genuine higher-elevation phenomenon in the Grand Canyon area. Looking at some of my 2014 photos from the Park I now think I overcompensated for it…the finished pics are too warm.

-Dave-
Title: Re: bright angel point
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 09, 2017, 08:48:14 pm
Your original is just fine, Jeremy.

If you are going to eliminate the blue haze (which is an essential part of the GC scene), then you might as well also even out all those difficult ups and downs in the terrain, making it a little more like Rheine II.

-Eric