Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Mjollnir on March 02, 2017, 03:37:30 pm

Title: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: Mjollnir on March 02, 2017, 03:37:30 pm
We got skunked for snow last weekend, and the valley was wet, dull brown and grey, and crowded by the Horsetail Falls crowd. Still, if you watched your step to avoid getting soaked, there was some payoff.

Still getting used to the controls of the new gear, but I'm liking the results when I use it correctly.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/614/33080984221_14b960d1f4_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/SpfG5V)Ghost Tree, El Cap Meadow #3 (https://flic.kr/p/SpfG5V) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 02, 2017, 07:32:32 pm
Very nice Ghost tree!
Title: Re: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: HSakols on March 02, 2017, 08:03:21 pm
I know those trees well! I've gotten interesting images of this patch of trees in all seasons.  Sorry you missed the snow.  On Monday we had a nice dusting in the Valley.  Let's hope we get some more dumps of snow before March is over.  Nice image!
Hugh
Title: Re: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: Mjollnir on March 02, 2017, 11:32:41 pm
I know those trees well! I've gotten interesting images of this patch of trees in all seasons.  Sorry you missed the snow.  On Monday we had a nice dusting in the Valley.  Let's hope we get some more dumps of snow before March is over.  Nice image!
Hugh

Keeping up with the weather reports; it looks like it's dumping again this weekend, but we'll be in Paso Robles for a pruning seminar.

Still, Point Buchon beckons...
Title: Re: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 02, 2017, 11:48:51 pm
Love the overall tonality and the white one.
Title: Re: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 03, 2017, 06:02:30 am
Nicely done.
Title: Re: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: Mjollnir on March 03, 2017, 09:40:00 am
Love the overall tonality and the white one.

Thanks!  Although there was a time I wouldn't have liked to admit it, it's far easier to get a look like this w/Nikon gear than it was w/my old M4/3 kit.

Sort of kicking myself now, wondering why I waited so long to make the change.
Title: Re: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 03, 2017, 09:47:19 am
... it's far easier to get a look like this w/Nikon gear than it was w/my old M4/3 kit...

Really!? Why? Just curios, as I am contemplating the opposite direction (i.e., from a full-frame Canon to m4/3).
Title: Re: Ghost Tree, Yosemite Valley, West End El Cap Meadow.
Post by: Mjollnir on March 03, 2017, 10:57:19 am
Really!? Why? Just curios, as I am contemplating the opposite direction (i.e., from a full-frame Canon to m4/3).

For lack of a better term, not as much 'headroom', a term usually applied to autio recordings.

FAR more flexibility in how I can work the files.

I'd still love to play around with the GH5 and good Oly PanLeica glass, since it's a totally new sensor, but it costs more than my D750!