Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on March 01, 2017, 02:39:38 pm

Title: beach and surf
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 01, 2017, 02:39:38 pm
I mused on cropping out some of the sea at the top. Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 01, 2017, 03:19:35 pm
Yes, I would be tempted to crop to just below the dark area just left of center near the top.
After doing that, if you didn't like the form factor, you could get a way with cropping a little off both sides, but I probably wouldn't do that.

I like the dramatic wave action, and the fact that the "lunge" is a little off center strengthens the image. Nice one!

Is this still Iceland, or are you now exploring parts of the British Isles that look most like Iceland?

-Eric
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: JNB_Rare on March 01, 2017, 07:23:56 pm
I mused on cropping out some of the sea at the top. Thoughts?

Jeremy

I like this image a lot. With regards to cropping, I like to ask myself "what is this image really about?"; Can the meaning be strengthened by eliminating certain elements, or are they important?

For me, the core of this image is the beauty of that receding foam on the black sand. The crest  of the wave at the top draws my eye away from it, and it's not necessary to provide context. IMO, your intuition to do a bit of cropping at the top is a good one.
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: aduke on March 01, 2017, 08:10:41 pm
It took me a minute or more to figure out what I was looking at. Without the surf, I would have concluded that the image was a mountain range (in deep shadow) with some very strange clouds in the background.

I think it is a wonderful image as it is.

Alan
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 01, 2017, 11:08:55 pm
Excellent image, cropped or not.
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: graeme on March 02, 2017, 04:46:39 am
Very nice cropped or uncropped.

Maybe try a BW version? ( I know, it's almost there anyway ).
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: GrahamBy on March 02, 2017, 05:29:29 am
As Slobodan said, excellent either way. For me, you could crop and it would be a different photo. Would it be "better"? That's a profound question, finally, what is better? For what?
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: francois on March 02, 2017, 09:39:22 am
I like it as it is but cropping the top part would make it a bit more abstract… The more you crop, the more abstract!
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: Patricia Sheley on March 02, 2017, 10:51:06 am

 Or perhaps white/spine left for your book cover. I know your profession is demanding of a certain precision in its practice from cemented tomes, but when you are behind the lens, there is an other seeking the escape of that particular wall~
Title: Re: beach and surf
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 02, 2017, 02:34:51 pm
Thanks, all.

Eric - it's Iceland. I don't know of anywhere in the UK with a beach like that.

Pat - nice idea! I might adopt it.

Jeremy