Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: N_N_Nikmat on February 26, 2017, 05:06:21 pm
-
Thoughts?
-
I think the main motif of this image is the graphic-like pattern. I don't like the bottom third of the image, it takes away from the main focus. If you crop just above the knob on the square panel at the bottom, the almost zigzag pattern becomes more pronounced and focused, as it alternates between structure, shapes, lines and sky. I don't think the top left dark area works either, but I don't want to cut your image to pieces, just help you improve it if that is what you are looking for. If you imagine the image without the top left dark triangle, I think that will really improve the image and give it cleaner look. You can accomplish this by cropping in post processing, but you should try to do this in the field. The more you do it, the better you will get at it.
JR
-
Nice one, N_N; I particularly like the way you balanced the vertical weights, keeping the lighter blues both in check and in proportions that please whilst giving a sense of being grounded. In fact, the image is both light and solid and also dynamic, which is quite an achievement.
Wouldn't change a thing.
Rob C
-
Thanks John and Rob for your comments.
I was unsure about the top left dark area as well thinking it is a little distracting.
It is always good to reconsider your approach so I have done that, putting a little more thought into the cropping. I also cloned out the smoke detector (who needs those anyway) and increased the vibrance and contrast.
Personally I feel this is better. However do you the think the photo now loses too much context? Thoughts?
-
Thanks John and Rob for your comments.
I was unsure about the top left dark area as well thinking it is a little distracting.
It is always good to reconsider your approach so I have done that, putting a little more thought into the cropping. I also cloned out the smoke detector (who needs those anyway) and increased the vibrance and contrast.
Personally I feel this is better. However do you the think the photo now loses too much context? Thoughts?
First you had a picture, now you don't.
Rob
-
This is the edit. (sorry I don't know what happened to the previous picture)
-
I think your instincts about that dark area being distracting are spot on - and your crop is more successful and brings focus/concentration to the image elements. In the first the combination of "all" those dark areas, their shapes, and that green cast make it a bid leaden and just overwhelms (rather than a constructive "counterpart") what is happening in the sky. I think the color intensity(?) of sky in the last is much more successful. There is another crop that is more horizontal if I have a moment will p.m. an example.
-
I like your crop. You can crop seven ways to Sunday and still have a good image. My point and suggestion is that you should try this in the field. I don't want to change your vision, just help you refine your composition skills.
You did make it really pop, but I would be careful with that, more saturation is not always better or called for.
In keeping with making your image a little brighter, this is what I had in mind for you:
-
Thanks John
I appreciate your input.
Anil