Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: jimhuber on July 29, 2006, 04:49:45 am

Title: The lens I really want
Post by: jimhuber on July 29, 2006, 04:49:45 am
A Canon EF-S 15-125 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens would be equivalent to 24mm to 200mm in full-frame terms. I'd like it to have build quality and image quality like the existing 17-85 lens. A little less barrel distortion and chromatic aberration at the wide end would be nice, but as long as DxO Optics makes a module for it, and of course they will, I can live with the shortcomings. A wider aperture would be nice, but I'm willing to live with f/5.6 at the long end to get a smaller, lighter lens. I'd put it on my Rebel XT and likely never take it off...
Title: The lens I really want
Post by: gochugogi on August 02, 2006, 03:37:05 pm
I'd rather have an EF 50 1.2L IS USM. I'd probably never remove it from my 5D.
Title: The lens I really want
Post by: boku on August 03, 2006, 03:14:08 pm
If you are looking to never changes lenses, why did you folks get SLR cameras?
Title: The lens I really want
Post by: jimhuber on August 03, 2006, 04:36:27 pm
Actually I shoot mostly primes on my 5D for best quality. But since buying the 5D my Rebel XT is a small, handy way to shoot raw, so the desire for a single lens to do everything stems from that more casual use.
Title: The lens I really want
Post by: marcoventuriniautieri on August 03, 2006, 09:25:40 pm
Quote
If you are looking to never changes lenses, why did you folks get SLR cameras?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, where on Earth you find a compact / non SLR camera with a 50/1.2 attached?

The 50/1.2 IS would be my only and favourite lens as well. Right now, I have a 50/1.4 virtually welded on my S3... ;-)

Marco
Title: The lens I really want
Post by: darrenr on August 06, 2006, 01:01:05 pm
Quote
If you are looking to never changes lenses, why did you folks get SLR cameras?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because until you get a DSLR, you don't realise that you can't swap lens as often as you did with film because every time you open it up, it is an invitation for dust to get in.

In addition, you often put a different lens on for different purpose, rather than swap them every 5 minutes.  That could mean using one lens for weeks and weeks but shifting to another for 5 minutes because the situation warrants it.
Title: The lens I really want
Post by: darrenr on August 06, 2006, 01:02:58 pm
Quote
A Canon EF-S 15-125 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens would be equivalent to 24mm to 200mm in full-frame terms...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right.  What is missing from the current EF-S lens lineup is zooms that match (for example) 24-85 and others.  17 and 18 isn't wide enough for EF-S.  It needs to be 15 and 16.
Title: The lens I really want
Post by: macgyver on August 06, 2006, 10:14:29 pm
Quote
Because until you get a DSLR, you don't realise that you can't swap lens as often as you did with film because every time you open it up, it is an invitation for dust to get in.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And yet, many don't have the option not to switch often.  Dust happens.