Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on February 26, 2017, 06:43:12 am

Title: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: BernardLanguillier on February 26, 2017, 06:43:12 am
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3688/33065347906_b90ac01c61_o.jpg)

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2385/33107370115_ed8ae16141_o.jpg)

Both images were captured in the world heritage area Kumano Kodo in Wakayama prefecture.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 26, 2017, 08:27:45 am
Quite lovely, Bernard.

Cheers,
Eric
Title: Re: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: brandtb on February 26, 2017, 12:17:49 pm
In that first image, have no idea why one would want put the focus/sharpness on the plain/generic post rather than the extraordinarily shaped and crafted lantern in front of it? It might have been an interesting shot had the focus area been switched. The second image maybe good as a reference shot or tonality exercise - but again center most post in the frame takes precedence over all the interesting things around it. I would have chosen different framing for this.
Title: Re: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: RSL on February 26, 2017, 02:29:39 pm
Fascinating stuff, Bernard. I do agree with Brandt about the focus in the first picture but I'm not sure what you had in mind.
Title: Re: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 26, 2017, 04:57:26 pm
Knowing that Bernard is a fine craftsman, I assumed the focus in the first was intentional, so I had to ask myself why he did it this way.
My speculation is that the focus on the post reveals that it is quite ancient. To me, that adds a dimension.
Title: Re: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: BernardLanguillier on February 26, 2017, 06:03:58 pm
Knowing that Bernard is a fine craftsman, I assumed the focus in the first was intentional, so I had to ask myself why he did it this way.
My speculation is that the focus on the post reveals that it is quite ancient. To me, that adds a dimension.

Hello Eric,

Thanks, that is exactly what I was about to write. The lanterns are artifacts, very nice ones for sure, while the wood pillar defines the building in that it was one of the first elements assembled when this temple was constructed hundreds of years ago.

Besides, I like it better in terms of rythm and balance since it runs the whole height of the image.

But thanks for the interesting feedback, I don't claim to be right and it is fascinating to see these differences of perception/vision!

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 26, 2017, 08:35:36 pm
I'm delighted that I "got it."

Great minds think alike!   :D

Cheers,

Eric
Title: Re: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: BernardLanguillier on February 26, 2017, 11:46:02 pm
I'm delighted that I "got it."

Great minds think alike!   :D

:)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Bits of Japanese temple
Post by: francois on February 27, 2017, 07:15:19 am
Another couple of beautiful shots from you, Bernard.
I can only say bravo and thank you!