Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on February 25, 2017, 01:13:07 pm

Title: stacks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 25, 2017, 01:13:07 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: stacks
Post by: Harald L on February 25, 2017, 01:43:19 pm
Jeremy,

your picture reminds me somewhat to Nugget Point (NZ).

But it's not my cup of tea. Foreground and Background is tack sharp with a lot of structures and micro-contrasts so that the milky sauce in between appeals unreal to me. I strongly believe that less exposure time would work much more for me.

Harald
Title: Re: stacks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 25, 2017, 03:19:59 pm
It's pretty, but I agree with Harald that the blurry water looks unreal and doesn't fit.

If this were your first post on LuLa, I'd be gentler with you. But since you have been in Iceland, I now expect Rajan-level images from you every time!   ;)

Eric
Title: Re: stacks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 26, 2017, 07:31:14 am
your picture reminds me somewhat to Nugget Point (NZ).

But it's not my cup of tea. Foreground and Background is tack sharp with a lot of structures and micro-contrasts so that the milky sauce in between appeals unreal to me. I strongly believe that less exposure time would work much more for me.

I've never been to Nugget Point, but if it's anything like the beach at Vík, I'll add it to my (lengthening) list of places to visit.

Your point is a fair one. As it happens, I have this photo at pretty much the same time. The exposure was 0.5s rather than 4s, so there's no milk but still some movement. Better?


If this were your first post on LuLa, I'd be gentler with you. But since you have been in Iceland, I now expect Rajan-level images from you every time!   ;)

You are a hard taskmaster, Mr Myrvaagnes. I fear I shall fail to live up to expectations.

Jeremy
Title: Re: stacks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 26, 2017, 08:26:20 am
That one works better for me, Mr. Kikashi.

One aspect of it is a little unsettling for me, personally. When I was at Vik Beach in 1974, I was so impressed by the black sand that all of the photos I took were black and white, and that has coloured my memories so much that I can't recall seeing any colour at all on the stacks, and surely no warm sunshine. But that's just me.

I envy you and our pal Rajan getting to the Iceland Paradise in more recent years.
Title: Re: stacks
Post by: Harald L on February 26, 2017, 11:29:00 am
I've never been to Nugget Point, but if it's anything like the beach at Vík, I'll add it to my (lengthening) list of places to visit.

...

You should consider a visit of New Zealand. Nugget Point is located in the south of the South Island - last exit before Antarctica. I don't want to spoil your tread with my pics but here (http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/new-zealand-revised/DSC13876-1.jpg) you can get an idea of that spot.


...
Your point is a fair one. As it happens, I have this photo at pretty much the same time. The exposure was 0.5s rather than 4s, so there's no milk but still some movement. Better?
...

Yes, better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against blurred water in general but in this case it doesn't harmonize with the rest of the picture (IMHO)

Harald
Title: Re: stacks
Post by: RSL on February 26, 2017, 02:27:23 pm
+1
Title: Re: stacks
Post by: francois on February 27, 2017, 07:06:44 am
I like the last one a lot. The dark for (or clouds) behind the stacks is spectacular, especially with the light sky just above.
Well done.
Title: Re: stacks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 27, 2017, 12:49:25 pm
You should consider a visit of New Zealand. Nugget Point is located in the south of the South Island - last exit before Antarctica. I don't want to spoil your tread with my pics but here (http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/new-zealand-revised/DSC13876-1.jpg) you can get an idea of that spot.

Nice shot, Harald. I see the similarity (although I seem also to see sharp foreground and distance with milky water in your shot ;)).

I visited NZ briefly a few years ago, as a hop from seeing my brother-in-law and his family in Sydney. I liked it a lot: friendly people and some glorious rolling scenery. I didn't get to the South Island, sadly. One day.

Jeremy