Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on February 24, 2017, 09:53:22 am

Title: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: Harald L on February 24, 2017, 09:53:22 am
Oslo, Den Norske Operan

(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/den-norske-operan/DSC15945.jpg)
Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: JNB_Rare on February 24, 2017, 12:58:19 pm
A study in perspective. I like it a lot.
Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 24, 2017, 03:14:51 pm
Good seeing. The body language of the people makes it sing.
Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: Rob C on February 24, 2017, 04:15:27 pm
Good seeing. The body language of the people makes it sing.

+1

Also an interesting shape exercise all of its own.
But certainly more so with the folks.

Like the leg language of the girl with the checked shirt.

Rob
Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: RSL on February 24, 2017, 04:37:58 pm
Very nice, Harald.
Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: Telecaster on February 24, 2017, 04:43:28 pm
Yes, a good one! The guy with the long-ish lens makes me chuckle. For whatever reason I interpret his posture as the tourist equivalent of "Get off my lawn!" His "rightful" spot has been overrun by plebes.  ;)

-Dave-
Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: John R on February 25, 2017, 11:30:13 am
Everything in this image makes it come alive. The positions of the people, the contrast of elements and shadow, the zigzag movements of architecture and sky juxtaposed with the more static buildings, is really fine.

Did I mention I like it!

JR
Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: Harald L on February 25, 2017, 11:45:04 am
Thank you all for your friendly comments.

I didn't tell that I've learned a lesson from that shooting: Until then I've always tried desperately to get my architecture shots without poeple. But why the hassle? Even contemporary architecture was designed to be populated. So isn't it sometimes more authentic to include some life in this genre in general?

Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 25, 2017, 01:11:25 pm
Thank you all for your friendly comments.

I didn't tell that I've learned a lesson from that shooting: Until then I've always tried desperately to get my architecture shots without poeple. But why the hassle? Even contemporary architecture was designed to be populated. So isn't it sometimes more authentic to include some life in this genre in general?

I think you're right. My first thought was "it would be better without the people", but I was wrong. While it could manage well without the other two people in the foreground, it needs the photographer.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Waiting for a picture is a picture
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 25, 2017, 03:25:44 pm
I've seen many architectural photos with people in them, usually wandering mindlessly and intended to give sacle to the building. Such people are boring, IMHO.
But in this one, the building is such a "Looka at me, I'm a big and bold" building that this particular group of people gives the image some real life, not just scale.