Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Schewe on February 22, 2017, 02:17:29 am
-
On the heals of finding Dorothea Lange’s Censored Photographs, I've found a couple of sites that are showing the work of Ansel Adams in the Manzanar War Relocation Camp.From 2013 is 46 photos of life at a Japanese internment camp, taken by Ansel Adams (http://www.businessinsider.com/ansel-adams-internment-camp-photos-2013-8/#at-the-outset-of-world-war-ii-the-american-government-feared-subversive-actions-by-japanese-american-citizens-and-began-moving-them-to-relocation-camps-1) and from 2015 Legendary photographer Ansel Adams visited a Japanese internment camp in 1943, here’s what he saw (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2015/11/20/legendary-photographer-ansel-adams-visited-the-japanese-internment-camps-in-1943-heres-what-he-saw/?utm_term=.dedf0b2ecb36). The second url shows images that are more journalistic than I've ever seen from him before...
-
Thank you Jeff for the heads-up about this. A great view into a shameful act.
Best,
Brian
-
At least some of Adams' Manazar prints are on display at the Addison Gallery of American Art in Andover, Massachusetts for another couple of weeks.
Addison Gallery of American Art (http://www.andover.edu/Museums/Addison/Pages/default.aspx)
-
Wow, I love the photos and historical perspective. The fields and chickens are particularly eye catching (gets me thinking about how to expose a scene with those bright white chickens).
A terrible chapter in our history I hope we will never see again. Thanks for sharing!