Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PeterAit on February 21, 2017, 11:47:58 am

Title: Turkey vulture
Post by: PeterAit on February 21, 2017, 11:47:58 am
This fierce looking bird visited us recently thanks to a rotting raccoon in the yard. Sony RX10iii.
Title: Re: Turkey vulture
Post by: Otto Phocus on February 21, 2017, 12:21:26 pm
Beautiful animal.  Nice shot. I think the background worked well on this shot.
Title: Re: Turkey vulture
Post by: RSL on February 21, 2017, 12:57:53 pm
Don't knock it. That turkey buzzard is part of the cleanup crew. They're frequently there along the Palatlakaha river that runs past the front of my house, and I'm always happy to see them.
Title: Re: Turkey vulture
Post by: Peter McLennan on February 21, 2017, 03:03:36 pm
This fierce looking bird visited us recently thanks to a rotting raccoon in the yard. Sony RX10iii.

"rotting raccoon" 

Is that Rocky's brother?
Title: Re: Turkey vulture
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 21, 2017, 03:27:44 pm
Beautiful animal.  Nice shot. I think the background worked well on this shot.

Yes. The tree frames the head nicely.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Turkey vulture
Post by: Rob C on February 21, 2017, 03:44:27 pm
How odd; I thought the tree ruined the shot. Maybe that's because I used up a lot of Colorama rolls when I was young...

Rob
Title: Re: Turkey vulture
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 21, 2017, 09:12:32 pm
Fine portrait of a classy bird.
Title: Re: Turkey vulture
Post by: Otto Phocus on February 22, 2017, 07:00:42 am
Be careful if you want to photograph Black Vultures.  Use a long lens.  One of the defensive actions of Black Vultures is projectile vomiting and their aim and range is pretty good.  You can imagine what vomitus from a vulture would be like.  ewwww.
Title: Re: Turkey vulture
Post by: PeterAit on February 22, 2017, 08:09:43 am
Be careful if you want to photograph Black Vultures.  Use a long lens.  One of the defensive actions of Black Vultures is projectile vomiting and their aim and range is pretty good.  You can imagine what vomitus from a vulture would be like.  ewwww.

Thanks for the warning - we've had black vultures at the same carcass but I have not been able to get a shot.