Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on February 19, 2017, 11:25:58 am

Title: C1 Layer Question
Post by: JoeKitchen on February 19, 2017, 11:25:58 am
Is there a way in C1 to create a layer that is an inverted selection of another layer? 

I am using the latest version. 
Title: Re: C1 Layer Question
Post by: Paul2660 on February 19, 2017, 11:55:07 am
Three steps

Create new layer,
Copy mask from different layer
Invert mask.

So if I want to do this from layer 3:

Create new layer 4.
On new layer 4 right click and select "copy mask from layer (select layer 3 in this case)"
Once copied to layer 4, right click and select invert layer.

This is now I do it, there are probably ways to do via keyboard shortcuts, however I rarely use them.

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: C1 Layer Question
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 19, 2017, 12:04:33 pm
Is there a way in C1 to create a layer that is an inverted selection of another layer?

Hi Joe,

I'm not exactly sure what you want to achieve, but as Paul explained one can invert a Mask that is a duplicate of another layer. One can also invert a layer itself, by flipping the Curve adjustment's white and Black points from minimum/maximum to maximum/minimum, and apply a duplicate mask on that.

Hope that helps,
Bart
Title: Re: C1 Layer Question
Post by: JoeKitchen on February 19, 2017, 12:09:46 pm
Thanks. 

I am editing a bottle shot and I want to edit the background and surface separate from the bottle.  Since I want to incorporate some clipping of the histogram on the background, I cant perform this in the entire image. 
Title: Re: C1 Layer Question
Post by: E.J. Peiker on February 19, 2017, 02:33:33 pm
Paul's answer is correct - I do exactly thht almost everyday.  If you already have a layer with just the bottle or just the background,  create a new layer, then right click on it and select Copy Mask From and select the previous layer.  Now right click again and select invert mask.
Title: Re: C1 Layer Question
Post by: JoeKitchen on February 19, 2017, 05:18:00 pm
Is there a way to blur parts of the image in C1? 
Title: Re: C1 Layer Question
Post by: E.J. Peiker on February 19, 2017, 06:43:29 pm
Is there a way to blur parts of the image in C1?

Create a mask of the area you want blurred and then take the clarity slider and drag it to the left.  You can get a little more blurring by also draging the structure slider to the left.  If you want to blur even more, just duplicate the layer and do it again.