Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on February 18, 2017, 12:45:06 pm

Title: reflection
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 18, 2017, 12:45:06 pm
With the rock on the right, or without it? Or indeed at all?

Jeremy
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 18, 2017, 12:57:38 pm
Very cool idea.

I think the rock provides a balance. Too bad you had apparently a breeze, otherwise you'd have a perfectly still reflection. I might consider toning down the small rock on the left of the big one, and perhaps the bright dot in the lower left corner.
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 18, 2017, 01:06:48 pm
Keep the rock.
It sets up some visual tension between it and the big, sunny rock.

(Some viewers will prefer it without the little rock, but only because they prefer simple-minded images that don't encourage thinking.   ;)  )

Eric

P.S. Slobodan is usually right whenever he talks about photography. Politics, maybe not as much.   :D
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: David Eckels on February 18, 2017, 04:15:23 pm
I like it!
I'd take the luminosity of the little rocks down a bit and/or raise the luminosity a bit of the bigger rock on the right.
As Slobodan said, "very cool idea."
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: John R on February 18, 2017, 08:47:05 pm
To me, it works both ways. Each has something different to say. By just moving the image around on my screen, I can do a mock crop and find the reflection on its own to be wonderful. While I like the one with the rock, IMO, the rock is too close to the edge of the image. Also not sure the midway point of the rock is optimal and reduces the dynamics somewhat. But I like it because it very different and well seen.

JR
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 19, 2017, 10:09:49 am
... the rock is too close to the edge of the image...

“Give me a place to stand on, and I can move the earth.” -Archimedes
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 20, 2017, 08:02:13 pm
In the thumbnail I don't like the small rock, but in the full version I do like the small rock, because in the bigger version and as Slobodan has already stated, it provides balance.

I know the colour of the cliffs in this image is important, but I think the reflection might be even more important, so I wonder what it might look like in mono?

Dave

I hope you don't mind, but I have given the mono idea a go for you  :)
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 21, 2017, 12:09:25 am
“Give me a place to stand on, and I can move the earth.” -Archimedes

Ok, I am sure some must have been asking by now "what is this guy smoking!?"

I was referring to the comment that the rock is "too close to the edge." In pictorial composition, the closer a larger object is to the center of the image, the further from the center (i.e,. closer to the edge) a smaller counterbalancing object can be.

Title: Re: reflection
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 21, 2017, 09:24:38 am
Ok, I am sure some must have been asking by now "what is this guy smoking!?"

I was referring to the comment that the rock is "too close to the edge." In pictorial composition, the closer a larger object is to the center of the image, the further from the center (i.e,. closer to the edge) a smaller counterbalancing object can be.
Beautifully explained, Slobodan.
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: brianrybolt on February 21, 2017, 09:41:27 am
With the rock on the right, or without it? Or indeed at all?

Jeremy

I don't like the small rock at all.  I don't feel it provides any visual tension or brings anything to the image - if anything, it breaks up the shape of of the black sand.  In fact I'de crop it out altogether thus adding more dynamism to the shot.  Other than that, and I don't mean it sarcastically, it's a fine image.

Brian
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: David Eckels on February 21, 2017, 12:00:15 pm
Beautifully explained, Slobodan.
+1
Title: Re: reflection
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 23, 2017, 03:07:55 pm
Very cool idea.

I think the rock provides a balance. Too bad you had apparently a breeze, otherwise you'd have a perfectly still reflection. I might consider toning down the small rock on the left of the big one, and perhaps the bright dot in the lower left corner.

Thanks. You're right about the bright dots. Funny how I didn't notice them until you pointed them out and now I can't drag my eyes away.

I hope you don't mind, but I have given the mono idea a go for you  :)

I don't mind at all, but the result doesn't grab me. The rock now looks to me somehow dirty and irrelevant.

I don't like the small rock at all.  I don't feel it provides any visual tension or brings anything to the image - if anything, it breaks up the shape of of the black sand.  In fact I'de crop it out altogether thus adding more dynamism to the shot.  Other than that, and I don't mean it sarcastically, it's a fine image.

Thanks. That was one point of view I entertained: hence the question. 

Jeremy