Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Michael Erlewine on February 16, 2017, 09:36:47 am

Title: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Michael Erlewine on February 16, 2017, 09:36:47 am
I'm coming from the DSLR side of things and I have always used Adobe, and for still photographuy Adobe CC, Photoshop and Lightroom. What is it that CaptureOne Pro 10 offers that I should be aware of, please and thank-you.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Paul2660 on February 16, 2017, 11:00:43 am
I would consider the following:

1.  Adjustment layers that operate independently of each other up to 15 per image
2.  Wonderful color selection tool set, I feel vastly superior to LR/Adobe
3.  Session or Catalog (I prefer sessions)
4.  With version 10 new sharpening options which use deconvolution
4.  With Version 10 sharpening options for output (depending on web view, printing etc)
5.  The best tethering solution out there, for Nikon, Canon, Sony, P1 and maybe Fuji if current rumors of C1 support come true
6.  Very well designed layout for a workspace
7.  Ability to control WB per layer (huge for my workflow)
Edit:
8.  ease of copying adjustments from one image to another
9.  Side by side viewing (I have never liked LR's way of enabling this, just too complicated for me)


Issues I have:

NO history as LR has (huge issue if you work a lot in LR or C1 instead of CC which I do)
No Fringing eyedropper, and C1 IMO can miss some of the fringing of ultra wides like the 28mm LS
Auto Mask can't handle finer demarcations like tree branches against a sky
No HDR or Pano toolset, Love the HDR toolset in LR just for exposure bracketing and the pano tool with the boundary warp is a huge asset for me
C1 really could use a "dehaze" tool, the one in LR is really a great asset and has a tremendous amount of power.  and now LR allow dehaze in with an adjustment brush
ND tool is still behind LR IMO, but useable and allows wb adjustments unlike LR so I call it a tie (edited) LR has the ability to do WB manually, just does not have the eye dropper within the ND filter. 

I am sure there are a lot more but these are the ones that come to mind for me in my daily use of both tools.

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Michael Erlewine on February 16, 2017, 11:05:33 am
Thanks Paul:

I use PS and only use LR for preparing stacks for Zerene Stacker. So my question is: can we easily use C1 without using their image management feature. I don't want to get my photos locked up in the way LR does it. I use Adobe Bridge to read my disk files, which are stored by date in folders. I am on the PC. I have a number of Macs, but I prefer the power and flexibility of PC... at this point.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Paul2660 on February 16, 2017, 11:15:53 am
Hi Michael:

I would do a search on the Zerene Stacker and C1, as Phase One has a close relationship with them along with the other stacking software (I am blocking on the name).  Since the XF has a built in focus stacking tool (which is very good unless you have movement) and Capture One works well with both of the software tools.  There are quite a few videos out there from both Capture Integration and Digital Transitions showing the process and integration.

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Craig Lamson on February 16, 2017, 11:17:37 am
Thanks Paul:

I use PS and only use LR for preparing stacks for Zerene Stacker. So my question is: can we easily use C1 without using their imagine management. I don't want to get my photos locked up in the way LR does it. I use Adobe Bridge to read my disk files, which are stored by date in folders. I am on the PC. I have a number of Macs, but I prefer the power and flexibility of PC... at this point.

Yes, just use it in the sessions mode. I store my images like you do and it works great.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 16, 2017, 11:23:24 am
I'm coming from the DSLR side of things and I have always used Adobe, and for still photographuy Adobe CC, Photoshop and Lightroom. What is it that CaptureOne Pro 10 offers that I should be aware of, please and thank-you.

Hi Michael,

A basic thing to decide upon when opening a Raw file is if you want to go with a built-in 'film tonecurve' (with highlight roll-off in the shoulder) or a linear one. A linear tone curve allows using a better-exposed image, since the film curve suggests that the image is 1/2 to 1 stop overexposed ('clipped' highlights).

I prefer starting with a linear tone-curve, because I can use the better exposed exposure bracket (less noise and more shadow detail), and design/use my own tone-curve based on image content. This may be important for your type of close-up photography, where you'd want more control over semi-specular highlight on e.g. leafs.

Another important thing to get familiar with is LCCs. These Light Cast Corrections, although designed for something else, also allow to stack images without dust or, more importantly, dust-trails (which can show up in resized and stacked images).

Also very useful is the Adjustment Layer capability.

Color editing is pretty advanced, may be useful to learn the ropes of that as well.

For the rest, there is 'just' a learning curve to get acquainted with all the other common features, and specific ones like working in Sessions (which I prefer) or in a Catalog, but Capture One is mostly very logical and aimed at image quality.

Rumour has it (although I'm a bit skeptical at this point in time) that the new Medium Format mirrorless Fuji GFX will be supported by Capture One. If true, that would be a major thing.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 16, 2017, 11:28:51 am
Yes, just use it in the sessions mode. I store my images like you do and it works great.

+1

I also use a file structure that makes it easy to find files (including file-stacking), and sessions are a logical extension of that.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 16, 2017, 06:53:58 pm
I would consider the following:

1.  Adjustment layers that operate independently of each other up to 15 per image
2.  Wonderful color selection tool set, I feel vastly superior to LR/Adobe
3.  Session or Catalog (I prefer sessions)
4.  With version 10 new sharpening options which use deconvolution
4.  With Version 10 sharpening options for output (depending on web view, printing etc)
5.  The best tethering solution out there, for Nikon, Canon, Sony, P1 and maybe Fuji if current rumors of C1 support come true
6.  Very well designed layout for a workspace
7.  Ability to control WB per layer (huge blue for my workflow)
Edit:
8.  ease of copying adjustments from one image to another
9.  Side by side viewing (I have never liked LR's way of enabling this, just too complicated for me)


Issues I have:

NO history as LR has (huge issue if you work a lot in LR or C1 instead of CC which I do)
No Fringing eyedropper, and C1 IMO can miss some of the fringing of ultra wides like the 28mm LS
Auto Mask can't handle finer demarcations like tree branches against a sky
No HDR or Pano toolset, Love the HDR toolset in LR just for exposure bracketing and the pano tool with the boundary warp is a huge asset for me
C1 really could use a "dehaze" tool, the one in LR is really a great asset and has a tremendous amount of power.  and now LR allow dehaze in with an adjustment brush
ND tool is still behind LR IMO, but useable and allows wb adjustments unlike LR so I call it a tie

I am sure there are a lot more but these are the ones that come to mind for me in my daily use of both tools.

Paul Caldwell

I would add that the Auto Mask tool is vastly inferior to the one in LR for many tasks.  Using color selections and turning them into masks does help but there is a lot of power in using LR's automask feature to achieve results that are even difficult to in with masks in PS.

Also I feel LR is much better at controlling tonal ranges when trying to handle high dynamic range files.  The shadow slider in C1 has much more effect on the midtones that I would like to see.

I prefer LR's implementation of the graduated filter as well, with C1 you are just creating a mask, and if you don't like it, you either fix it with brushes or you do it again.  LR allows you to reposition, change the transition area/size, and alter the angle, so much faster to get it "correct".  Now that you can use a brush to edit the graduated filter and with the quality of the automask tool, graduated filters can become very useful because you can paint it out of areas so quickly. 

I use both, but currently find I'm going from C1 to tiff into LR for quite a bit of editing work because of some of the tools.  If LR ever manages to support the IQ3 100 back, I will most  likely find myself using LR more with raw files, probably maybe around 50/50 mix.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Paul2660 on February 16, 2017, 08:07:47 pm
Good points on the Auto mask, as I fully agree (I watched your video) on it's abilities.  C1 has a lot to improve on there. 

ND filter is limited also. 

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: camgarner on February 16, 2017, 08:11:34 pm
I use all 3 - LR, PS and C1.  My problem is I started with a DSLR and have only moved to medium format in the last few years.  I have made such a historical commitment to LR as my image management software it made the thought of converting to C1 more than I wanted to handle.  I do basic image processing for all images captured with my Phase1 in C1 then I export them to LR for any further processing in PS.  This is perhaps less than ideal but it works for me.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: dchew on February 16, 2017, 10:14:55 pm
Hi Michael,

A basic thing to decide upon when opening a Raw file is if you want to go with a built-in 'film tonecurve' (with highlight roll-off in the shoulder) or a linear one. A linear tone curve allows using a better-exposed image, since the film curve suggests that the image is 1/2 to 1 stop overexposed ('clipped' highlights).

I prefer starting with a linear tone-curve, because I can use the better exposed exposure bracket (less noise and more shadow detail), and design/use my own tone-curve based on image content. This may be important for your type of close-up photography, where you'd want more control over semi-specular highlight on e.g. leafs.

Cheers,
Bart

I use both, but currently find I'm going from C1 to tiff into LR for quite a bit of editing work because of some of the tools.  If LR ever manages to support the IQ3 100 back, I will most  likely find myself using LR more with raw files, probably maybe around 50/50 mix.

I feel the same way and this is how I work. I start with the linear curve, apply lcc's and work the image either to completion or as good as I can with C1, the tiff to LR to either just store it in the master catalog or to finish it off. Although in my case now the majority of images are finished in C1 with no adjustments in LR. But the final image resides in a master LR catalog.

Dave
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on February 17, 2017, 01:44:05 am
Hi,

I am quite a bit biased in favour of Lightroom as it has been my tool of choice since 2006. I generally use my own colour profiles with Lightroom but I have not taken that effort with Capture One.

Generally, I use the highlight and shadow sliders in Lightroom quiet a lot to map the high dynamic range of the images to the limited luminance range of screen and print. I would say that these controls work more subtle than the corresponding tools in Capture One.

There are some areas where I think Capture One works better, one of those areas is the demosaic process which may show less artefacts than LR/ACR.

I attach an image shot with P45+ and processed by Capture One and Lightroom. Both are processed to taste. The Lightroom image is using my own colour profile created by Anders Torger's DCamProf while the Capture One processed image uses the built in default colour profile. Both are white balanced for the same separate grey card shot.

My processing skills with C1 are not any good, so the comparison is not really even.

Eleanor Brown, who just got an X1D has run some tests comparing Hasselblad's own Phocus and Lightroom and finds the results are near identical. So, it may seem that Lightroom can yield very good colour when combined with a good colour profile.

Best regards
Erik


I would add that the Auto Mask tool is vastly inferior to the one in LR for many tasks.  Using color selections and turning them into masks does help but there is a lot of power in using LR's automask feature to achieve results that are even difficult to in with masks in PS.

Also I feel LR is much better at controlling tonal ranges when trying to handle high dynamic range files.  The shadow slider in C1 has much more effect on the midtones that I would like to see.

I prefer LR's implementation of the graduated filter as well, with C1 you are just creating a mask, and if you don't like it, you either fix it with brushes or you do it again.  LR allows you to reposition, change the transition area/size, and alter the angle, so much faster to get it "correct".  Now that you can use a brush to edit the graduated filter and with the quality of the automask tool, graduated filters can become very useful because you can paint it out of areas so quickly. 

I use both, but currently find I'm going from C1 to tiff into LR for quite a bit of editing work because of some of the tools.  If LR ever manages to support the IQ3 100 back, I will most  likely find myself using LR more with raw files, probably maybe around 50/50 mix.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: john beardsworth on February 17, 2017, 01:32:47 pm
I use PS and only use LR for preparing stacks for Zerene Stacker. So my question is: can we easily use C1 without using their imagine management. I don't want to get my photos locked up in the way LR does it. I use Adobe Bridge to read my disk files, which are stored by date in folders. I am on the PC. I have a number of Macs, but I prefer the power and flexibility of PC... at this point.

If you only use Lr for preparing stacks (and even have the idea that Lr somehow "locks" up photos), I'm not sure it makes any sense comparing Lr against C1. Surely your comparison is PS against C1?

On the one hand, you know Photoshop will continue to support your camera system, and it does so much more besides. On the other, maybe C1 will support your GFX, maybe it won't, but you're always going to feel at the mercy of P1 and how it resolves its conflict of interest. Great if C1 does support the GFX, but how sure can you be that in a couple of years' time C1 will decide to support your next GFX (or you go back to Hasselblad) that may be even more competitive with P1's bodies? So much for those new skills....

Tethering is one area where you might see a benefit, if that's important to you. C1 and the related iOS app are clearly better in this area. But you're again running into that conflict of interest. How exactly will any support for GFX be defined? It might mean processing raw files, but will it include a tethering experience equivalent to P1's and non-competitive cameras? If not....

John
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Michael Erlewine on February 17, 2017, 01:43:40 pm
If you only use Lr for preparing stacks (and even have the idea that Lr somehow "locks" up photos), I'm not sure it makes any sense comparing Lr against C1. Surely your comparison is PS against C1?
John

I thought I mentioned somewhere here that I use Adobe Bridge to manage my image folders and ACR/Photoshop to post-process. I know how to use Lightroom very well, but refuse to use their catalog system, since it repeatedly crashes and trashes my metadata,. etc. I love PS, which I find more elegant than LR, but am always interested in other post-processing software that might do a better job. This whole move toward MF, even on the small end with the GFX/X1D, is a sea-change. I bet I am not the Lone Ranger either. Many DSLR owners will take the plunge and the MF community will swell.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: douglevy on February 17, 2017, 02:15:19 pm
To me, the advantages of C1 over LR (and I've processed hundreds of thousands of photos in LR, and tens of thousands in C1).

Really the only thing that LR has that I wish C1 did is history states.

-Doug
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: john beardsworth on February 17, 2017, 02:29:52 pm
I thought I mentioned somewhere here that I use Adobe Bridge to manage my image folders and ACR/Photoshop to post-process. I know how to use Lightroom very well, but refuse to use their catalog system, since it repeatedly crashes and trashes my metadata,. etc. I love PS, which I find more elegant than LR, but am always interested in other post-processing software that might do a better job. This whole move toward MF, even on the small end with the GFX/X1D, is a sea-change. I bet I am not the Lone Ranger either. Many DSLR owners will take the plunge and the MF community will swell.

Yes, it was in the bit I quoted. I suspect you are right about prospects for this DSLR-MF intersection, though I feel it will only have a marginal effect on choice of software. C1 might benefit, but we don't yet know if the Fuji rep's statements indicate any lasting change of policy, do we? If you're not using Lr fully, you've little to lose by trying C1 for yourself.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Michael Erlewine on February 17, 2017, 02:36:55 pm
Yes, it was in the bit I quoted. I suspect you are right about prospects for this DSLR-MF intersection, though I feel it will only have a marginal effect on choice of software. C1 might benefit, but we don't yet know if the Fuji rep's statements indicate any lasting change of policy, do we? If you're not using Lr fully, you've little to lose by trying C1 for yourself.

I thought I made it clear I do not use Lightroom, except for sending stacks to Zerene Stacker. I have processed many hundreds of thousands of photos with Lightroom, but now do all my work (except for the setup I mentioned) with PHotoshop and Bridge as the finder.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: john beardsworth on February 17, 2017, 03:15:19 pm
I thought I made it clear I do not use Lightroom, except for sending stacks to Zerene Stacker. I have processed many hundreds of thousands of photos with Lightroom, but now do all my work (except for the setup I mentioned) with PHotoshop and Bridge as the finder.

Yes, you did make it clear, and I twice made it equally clear that was the case, even paraphrasing your "only use Lr for preparing stacks" comment. Hence my suggestions. Just change "little" for "nothing".
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 17, 2017, 06:46:11 pm
On the one hand, you know Photoshop will continue to support your camera system, and it does so much more besides. On the other, maybe C1 will support your GFX, maybe it won't, but you're always going to feel at the mercy of P1 and how it resolves its conflict of interest. Great if C1 does support the GFX, but how sure can you be that in a couple of years' time C1 will decide to support your next GFX (or you go back to Hasselblad) that may be even more competitive with P1's bodies? So much for those new skills....

Personally I don’t think this really applies.  C1 has never removed support for a camera, much like all the other raw processor makers.  The GFX will not be supported by C1 (unless Fuji specially licenses the software from them which is highly unlikely).  C1’s primary mission is to support Phase One equipment, and as such they have a policy not to support other MF backs.  There is no reason to believe if they ever changed that policy they would suddenly pull the rug out from users.

They do not arbitrarily  decide to support cameras or suddenly pull support from cameras, their policy is clear and has never changed. The recent thread about GFX support at this point appears to be a Fuji representative who assumed C1 would support the GFX because it supports all of Fuji’s other cameras.  This has been clarified by another Fuji representative who said the original statement should not have been made.  So nothing new, no one expected GFX support, just like there is no Hasselblad or Pentax support.  Some of us still hope that they may find a reason to change their policy ... but if they did there is no reason or evidence to support this change would be “temporary”. 
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Rory on February 18, 2017, 01:06:19 am
I would consider the following:

1.  Adjustment layers that operate independently of each other up to 15 per image
2.  Wonderful color selection tool set, I feel vastly superior to LR/Adobe
3.  Session or Catalog (I prefer sessions)
4.  With version 10 new sharpening options which use deconvolution
4.  With Version 10 sharpening options for output (depending on web view, printing etc)
5.  The best tethering solution out there, for Nikon, Canon, Sony, P1 and maybe Fuji if current rumors of C1 support come true
6.  Very well designed layout for a workspace
7.  Ability to control WB per layer (huge for my workflow)
Edit:
8.  ease of copying adjustments from one image to another
9.  Side by side viewing (I have never liked LR's way of enabling this, just too complicated for me)

I'd be interested in a clarification on several of these points, which by way of being on your list implies they are better than LR or do not exist in LR.

1.  Adjustment layers that operate independently of each other up to 15 per image

     Is there a functional advantage to adjustment layers over the LR paradigm of unlimited adjustment brushes and gradients?

4.  With version 10 new sharpening options which use deconvolution   
     
     I believe LR also uses deconvolution when you move the detail slider past 50.  Is the C1 sharpening superior?

4.  With Version 10 sharpening options for output (depending on web view, printing etc) 

     Is the C1 implementation more sophisticated than the LR low, medium and high options?

7.  Ability to control WB per layer (huge for my workflow) 

     Is this functionally different from creating different WB in adjustment brush or gradients in LR?

8.  ease of copying adjustments from one image to another 

     There are multiple ways to do this in LR.  How is the C1 implementation better?

9.  Side by side viewing (I have never liked LR's way of enabling this, just too complicated for me) 

     Does this comment include LR's reference view?  If so, how is the C1 implementation better?
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: john beardsworth on February 18, 2017, 05:07:02 am
Personally I don’t think this really applies.  C1 has never removed support for a camera, much like all the other raw processor makers.

I know I could have been clearer, but that's not really what I was saying, Wayne. I would not expect them to remove support for a camera, but by "your next GFX" I meant a future GFX Mark II which might be determined to fall outside any changed policy. But if that change of policy isn't happening anyway, this is pretty moot.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: dchew on February 18, 2017, 08:11:06 am
I'd be interested in a clarification on several of these points, which by way of being on your list implies they are better than LR or do not exist in LR.

I can't speak to all of Paul's points, but here are my thoughts:

1.  Adjustment layers that operate independently of each other up to 15 per image: Is there a functional advantage to adjustment layers over the LR paradigm of unlimited adjustment brushes and gradients?
It's just easier to go back and find a specific adjustment brush or gradient. I've gone back to images months later to make changes. In LR you have to guess and figure out what gray dot to pick and edit. Also I may forget I had a brush for some specific change. I go in, add a brush, then later find out I have two "sky" brushes. Now I have to change them both and keep them similar. C1 you can name the layers to remind yourself. Fewer clicks as a result too.

4.  With version 10 new sharpening options which use deconvolution:  I believe LR also uses deconvolution when you move the detail slider past 50.  Is the C1 sharpening superior?
The nice thing about C1's implementation is you can apply deconvolution only. It is applied separately from sharpening.
     
4.  With Version 10 sharpening options for output (depending on web view, printing etc): Is the C1 implementation more sophisticated than the LR low, medium and high options? 
I'm not sure it is more sophisticated but it is more adjustable. They give you sliders with default settings instead of default settings with no options. Whether this is good or bad depends on how much you like LR's fixed options. For example, I'm fine with LR's default std for glossy paper, but for matte paper I would like something in between std and high. I haven't done any tests yet so I don't have a sense for C1's sharpening as it appears on papers, so I still use LR to print from. For now...
     
7.  Ability to control WB per layer (huge for my workflow): Is this functionally different from creating different WB in adjustment brush or gradients in LR? 
It's just easier (for me at least) to use sliders with real color temp vs. the color picker approach of LR. You have sliders in LR too but the implementation feels different. Frankly this might just relate to the other layer-approach benefits above.
     
8.  ease of copying adjustments from one image to another: There are multiple ways to do this in LR.  How is the C1 implementation better? 
Just fewer clicks. In C1 shift click and you are done. This does depend on how you approach this type of editing. It really shines when you are experimenting with settings in a specific adjustment panel/tool.     

9.  Side by side viewing (I have never liked LR's way of enabling this, just too complicated for me): Does this comment include LR's reference view?  If so, how is the C1 implementation better? 
I'm not sure of Paul's original comment, but I suspect it did not consider LR's new-ish reference view. Sometimes I like LR better for this, sometimes not.

Dave
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on February 18, 2017, 11:37:56 am
Hi,

A problem is that there are a lot of adjustments. LR allows you to pick which adjustments to pick.

C1 has an awful user interface. There are tons of options, but nothing in C1 is obvious.

I am a quiet a bit partial to LR as I have used it since it's conception. But I cannot escape from the feeling that C1 is ill conceived, not documented well and has tons of ill defined options.

Adding to that, it crashes each time I try to import a file. I should possibly issue a problem report? But I use the DB version and I don't know if that entitles me to support. I have owned two of the previous versions, but I don't have any great experience with any of them so I didn't buy the later ones. The crash issue is specific to versions 9.x and 10.x.

I can go into finder and open a file in C1, so it is the file dialogue in C1 that causes the crash.

Best regards
Erik

I can't speak to all of Paul's points, but here are my thoughts:

8.  ease of copying adjustments from one image to another: There are multiple ways to do this in LR.  How is the C1 implementation better? 
Just fewer clicks. In C1 shift click and you are done. This does depend on how you approach this type of editing. It really shines when you are experimenting with settings in a specific adjustment panel/tool.     

9.  Side by side viewing (I have never liked LR's way of enabling this, just too complicated for me): Does this comment include LR's reference view?  If so, how is the C1 implementation better? 
I'm not sure of Paul's original comment, but I suspect it did not consider LR's new-ish reference view. Sometimes I like LR better for this, sometimes not.

Dave
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: dchew on February 18, 2017, 12:33:41 pm
Hi,

A problem is that there are a lot of adjustments. LR allows you to pick which adjustments to pick.
Hi Erik,
Actually C1 can do that too. You can copy using a similar path as LR where you pick specific settings to copy. The difference is C1 also allows you to quickly copy (and paste) a specific setting by tool.

C1 has an awful user interface. There are tons of options, but nothing in C1 is obvious.

I am a quiet a bit partial to LR as I have used it since it's conception. But I cannot escape from the feeling that C1 is ill conceived, not documented well and has tons of ill defined options.

I agree. I might not call it "awful" but I do feel there is a much longer learning curve. I'm a neophyte and I think the power users "get it" but I certainly do not.

Adding to that, it crashes each time I try to import a file. I should possibly issue a problem report? But I use the DB version and I don't know if that entitles me to support. I have owned two of the previous versions, but I don't have any great experience with any of them so I didn't buy the later ones. The crash issue is specific to versions 9.x and 10.x.

I can go into finder and open a file in C1, so it is the file dialogue in C1 that causes the crash.

Best regards
Erik

I had crashing issues when 9 came out with the better LCC process. But since then I've had no issues. It makes me wonder about computer compatibility. Anecdotally, it seems like those like me on MBP's are happy, while others, even on much more powerful desktop machines, are not so happy with speed and/or performance.

Dave
Title: Some comparisons
Post by: ErikKaffehr on February 19, 2017, 05:21:15 am
Hi,

It is often said that Lightroom/ACR has bland colours while Capture One has great colour.

I mostly use Lightroom with home made profiles and colour does not play such a great role for what I shoot. With Lightroom I can use:

to generate profiles. Of these, only DCamProf works with Capture One.

The enclosed samples show some differences.

Best regards
Erik

Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 19, 2017, 02:47:00 pm
I can't speak to all of Paul's points, but here are my thoughts:

1.  Adjustment layers that operate independently of each other up to 15 per image: Is there a functional advantage to adjustment layers over the LR paradigm of unlimited adjustment brushes and gradients?
It's just easier to go back and find a specific adjustment brush or gradient. I've gone back to images months later to make changes. In LR you have to guess and figure out what gray dot to pick and edit. Also I may forget I had a brush for some specific change. I go in, add a brush, then later find out I have two "sky" brushes. Now I have to change them both and keep them similar. C1 you can name the layers to remind yourself. Fewer clicks as a result too.
I would add that one nice feature of C1's adjustment brush is just like layers in photoshop, you can turn individual adjustments off or on.  Allows you to try a few different things without having to use a virtual copy, or just enable/disable to see the results.  Unfortunately for me most of the time, this doesn't make up for all the other weaknesses in the adjustment brush tool, especially the very poor automask function.
Quote

8.  ease of copying adjustments from one image to another: There are multiple ways to do this in LR.  How is the C1 implementation better? 
Just fewer clicks. In C1 shift click and you are done. This does depend on how you approach this type of editing. It really shines when you are experimenting with settings in a specific adjustment panel/tool. 
I think this is one area where C1 is superior.  It basically copies adjustment to a "clipboard" with a single click.  You can then also click to apply the adjustment to other images.  Or you can use a single click to copy all adjustments which can be applied.  Not only can this be done on a global scale, but each individual tool also allows the same paradigm for copying that tools adjustment and allow it to be applied to other tools. 
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Rory on February 19, 2017, 03:06:08 pm
Thanks for the clarifications gentlemen.  I'll have to give C1 another go.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on February 19, 2017, 03:22:25 pm
Hi Wayne,

The way I see it I have three options in the Adjustments menu:

- Copy adjustments - doesn't have any options
- Apply adjustments - doesn't have any options
- Copy and apply adjustments - has option to select adjustments to copy and apply

Nice functionality but not so easy to find…

Best regards
Erik

I think this is one area where C1 is superior.  It basically copies adjustment to a "clipboard" with a single click.  You can then also click to apply the adjustment to other images.  Or you can use a single click to copy all adjustments which can be applied.  Not only can this be done on a global scale, but each individual tool also allows the same paradigm for copying that tools adjustment and allow it to be applied to other tools.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 19, 2017, 08:53:45 pm
Hi Wayne,

The way I see it I have three options in the Adjustments menu:

- Copy adjustments - doesn't have any options
- Apply adjustments - doesn't have any options
- Copy and apply adjustments - has option to select adjustments to copy and apply

Nice functionality but not so easy to find…

Best regards
Erik
I don't use the menus for copying adjustments.  Each tool has a double arrow.  If you select the image you want to copy from, the shift click the images you want to copy to, you click the double arrow to apply the most selected image adjustments to the rest of the selected images for the settings in that tool.
the same double arrow can be placed in the toolbar (not there by default) so it's pretty easy to copy/paste the settings.  Works pretty much just like the sync button in Lr. Additionally the other arrows copy the adjustments to the adjustment clipboard and the other arrow applies them to any selected image.  Once copied, the image they are copied from does not need to be part of a selection.  You can also bring up the adjustment clipboard if you want to exclude any adjustments when you paste them.  When you copy the adjustments from an image, only those adjustments being used in the image are enabled in the clipboard, so it's pretty easy to go down and see what is going to get copied (and disable any you don't want).

Perhaps not so easy to find, but certainly any software that is robust and flexible has a learning curve.  I find the implementation better than that in Lr, although I have no real issues with Lr's implementation. Just a little different way to do things.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on February 20, 2017, 01:38:11 am
Hi Wayne,

Thanks, most helpful! You are right on the learning curve issue! I probably have opinions on C1 depending not being very far on that learning curve.

Best regards
Erik

I don't use the menus for copying adjustments.  Each tool has a double arrow.  If you select the image you want to copy from, the shift click the images you want to copy to, you click the double arrow to apply the most selected image adjustments to the rest of the selected images for the settings in that tool.
the same double arrow can be placed in the toolbar (not there by default) so it's pretty easy to copy/paste the settings.  Works pretty much just like the sync button in Lr. Additionally the other arrows copy the adjustments to the adjustment clipboard and the other arrow applies them to any selected image.  Once copied, the image they are copied from does not need to be part of a selection.  You can also bring up the adjustment clipboard if you want to exclude any adjustments when you paste them.  When you copy the adjustments from an image, only those adjustments being used in the image are enabled in the clipboard, so it's pretty easy to go down and see what is going to get copied (and disable any you don't want).

Perhaps not so easy to find, but certainly any software that is robust and flexible has a learning curve.  I find the implementation better than that in Lr, although I have no real issues with Lr's implementation. Just a little different way to do things.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Kevin Raber on February 20, 2017, 02:18:49 am
C1 V10 tutorial update should be posted within the next ten days.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: john beardsworth on February 20, 2017, 03:20:50 am
I don't use the menus for copying adjustments.  Each tool has a double arrow.  If you select the image you want to copy from, the shift click the images you want to copy to, you click the double arrow to apply the most selected image adjustments to the rest of the selected images for the settings in that tool.
the same double arrow can be placed in the toolbar (not there by default) so it's pretty easy to copy/paste the settings.  Works pretty much just like the sync button in Lr. Additionally the other arrows copy the adjustments to the adjustment clipboard and the other arrow applies them to any selected image.  Once copied, the image they are copied from does not need to be part of a selection.  You can also bring up the adjustment clipboard if you want to exclude any adjustments when you paste them.  When you copy the adjustments from an image, only those adjustments being used in the image are enabled in the clipboard, so it's pretty easy to go down and see what is going to get copied (and disable any you don't want).

Perhaps not so easy to find, but certainly any software that is robust and flexible has a learning curve.  I find the implementation better than that in Lr, although I have no real issues with Lr's implementation. Just a little different way to do things.

AutoSync in Lr.... When that's on, any global or local adjustment applies automatically to all the selected images, without any extra clicks for copying and pasting. Just a different way to do things.
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: DrakeJ on February 20, 2017, 04:52:45 am
Here are some observations from a Lightroom user who uses C1 for medium format awesomeness:

Lightroom pros:

- moving sliders is a much more smooth experience in lightroom, especially white balance
- shadow and highlight sliders can move both negative and positive
- a bit more inituitive, especially as mentioned before how to copy adjustments from one image to the next
- I have a large catalogue consisting of over 100.000 raw files in Lightroom, handling large catalogues is a breeze

Capture One pros:
- skin tones tool is something I find hard to live without nowadays
- color tools are superior in both isolating colors and intuitively color grading your image
- using layers (with names) is easier than creating a whole lot of brushes on "one layer"
- tethering actually works
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: razrblck on February 20, 2017, 06:13:53 am
I tried version 10 when it came out, loved the skin and color tools. For many layers I still prefer working in Photoshop. Tethering works beautifully in Capture One on Nikon cameras, Lightroom is truly behind on that!

On profiles, I haven't noticed many differences. Capture One does have better default color profiles compared the the Adobe Standard profile for my Nikons, but the Camera Neutral and other variants are comparable and I can set them as defaults.

Frankly the biggest advantage of Lightroom is in the CC Photography Plan that includes Photoshop as well. That package for very little a month is the ultimate deal if you have to work but prefer putting the money on better gear rather than 30 different RAW processing applications. Then again if you really need it, you can always justify the cost and amortize it in the long run (or get the C1 subscription which is also a sweet deal).
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Steve Hendrix on February 20, 2017, 08:21:55 am
I tried version 10 when it came out, loved the skin and color tools. For many layers I still prefer working in Photoshop. Tethering works beautifully in Capture One on Nikon cameras, Lightroom is truly behind on that!

On profiles, I haven't noticed many differences. Capture One does have better default color profiles compared the the Adobe Standard profile for my Nikons, but the Camera Neutral and other variants are comparable and I can set them as defaults.

Frankly the biggest advantage of Lightroom is in the CC Photography Plan that includes Photoshop as well. That package for very little a month is the ultimate deal if you have to work but prefer putting the money on better gear rather than 30 different RAW processing applications. Then again if you really need it, you can always justify the cost and amortize it in the long run (or get the C1 subscription which is also a sweet deal).


Actually, purchasing Capture One is a better deal than the subscription ($497 for purchase with 2 upgrades vs $540 subscription over 36 months), and you have the opportunity for dealer support, in addition to the Phase One online support vs Phase One online support only with the subscription.


Steve Hendrix/CI
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Steve Hendrix on February 21, 2017, 02:34:18 pm
Hi,

I am quite a bit biased in favour of Lightroom as it has been my tool of choice since 2006. I generally use my own colour profiles with Lightroom but I have not taken that effort with Capture One.

Generally, I use the highlight and shadow sliders in Lightroom quiet a lot to map the high dynamic range of the images to the limited luminance range of screen and print. I would say that these controls work more subtle than the corresponding tools in Capture One.

There are some areas where I think Capture One works better, one of those areas is the demosaic process which may show less artefacts than LR/ACR.

I attach an image shot with P45+ and processed by Capture One and Lightroom. Both are processed to taste. The Lightroom image is using my own colour profile created by Anders Torger's DCamProf while the Capture One processed image uses the built in default colour profile. Both are white balanced for the same separate grey card shot.

My processing skills with C1 are not any good, so the comparison is not really even.

Eleanor Brown, who just got an X1D has run some tests comparing Hasselblad's own Phocus and Lightroom and finds the results are near identical. So, it may seem that Lightroom can yield very good colour when combined with a good colour profile.

Best regards
Erik


I would just add one thing to this. Custom profiling can yield substantially improved results, however, I would hazard that the majority of photographers will shoot defaults and will not employ a custom profile approach, opting for what they perceive - rightly or wrongly - as a simpler approach. I'm not going to convince photographers to employ custom profiles. But in addition to 3rd party solutions, it is possible to edit existing LCC profiles from within the Capture One Color Editor Tool.

However in keeping with the simple theme - for Phase One digital back landscape shooters in particular, if you do nothing else, consider changing the default profile from Flash V2 to Outdoor Daylight. You can then set that as a default and never have to change it again, and your colors will come out better automatically. This profile would likely create a significant improvement in Eric's above example.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Paul2660 on February 21, 2017, 03:04:46 pm

I would just add one thing to this. Custom profiling can yield substantially improved results, however, I would hazard that the majority of photographers will shoot defaults and will not employ a custom profile approach, opting for what they perceive - rightly or wrongly - as a simpler approach. I'm not going to convince photographers to employ custom profiles. But in addition to 3rd party solutions, it is possible to edit existing LCC profiles from within the Capture One Color Editor Tool.

However in keeping with the simple theme - for Phase One digital back landscape shooters in particular, if you do nothing else, consider changing the default profile from Flash V2 to Outdoor Daylight. You can then set that as a default and never have to change it again, and your colors will come out better automatically. This profile would likely create a significant improvement in Eric's above example.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Hi Steve
I have always been curious why C1's default is Flash? I guess P1 feels most users are in a Studio?

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Steve Hendrix on February 21, 2017, 03:23:10 pm
Hi Steve
I have always been curious why C1's default is Flash? I guess P1 feels most users are in a Studio?

Paul Caldwell


From the beginning, Capture One really made its bones as a high quality raw converter and advanced tethering solution for professional photographers - at a time when very little existed in the way of optimal alternatives. As a result, the intent was to produce a look and quality of capture that came close to creating a ready to go image, with as little post work as possible. And at that time, the vast majority of mainstream commercial work was performed with strobe - still is really.

However, what sort of look actually comes closest to ready to go has changed quite a bit since those days, and in fact today, there is no telling what sort of "look" an image might ultimately be edited to look like. Still - some sort of starting point has to be decided upon, whether the look is going to be more or less saturated, sharp, or contrasty. It's only a starting point. As time has gone on, additional profiles have found their way into the dedicated canned Phase One digital back profiles found in the Base Characteristics (for example, Outdoor Daylite, etc). Even the original "Flash" profile has less saturation than the current "Flash V2" default.

At any rate - if someone doesn't want to dedicate any real time or effort on custom profiles, but would like colors reigned in a bit more realistically, particularly in ambient or natural settings, the Outdoor Daylite profile offers a built-in, one time, effortless adjustment.


Steve Hendrix/CI
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Shrev94412 on February 28, 2017, 11:29:33 pm
Thanks Paul:

I use PS and only use LR for preparing stacks for Zerene Stacker. So my question is: can we easily use C1 without using their image management feature. I don't want to get my photos locked up in the way LR does it. I use Adobe Bridge to read my disk files, which are stored by date in folders. I am on the PC. I have a number of Macs, but I prefer the power and flexibility of PC... at this point.

Paul did a great job here explaining some differences.....# 7 on his list is huge for me. My use of Photoshop has greatly diminished. I mainly use PS for image blending or stacking and a few plug-ins that I still love but, many times I never take the image to PS beyond C1...It's kinda funny because part of my brain says..."Wait....don't you need to do something in Photoshop before you finish??".....
Title: Re: Why CaptureOne Pro 10 and Not Photoshop/LR CC?
Post by: Paul2660 on March 04, 2017, 10:11:08 am
Per my first list, many pointed out the "reference view" in LR.  I had missed that totally, and I agree it's vastly superior to the older method of side side by side viewing in LR.  So I wanted to point out my mistake

Between C1 and LR that would have to be a draw IMO.

Both have very nice solutions.

Paul Caldwell