Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on February 14, 2017, 11:57:26 am

Title: Firefalls
Post by: maddogmurph on February 14, 2017, 11:57:26 am
7 days left to see them this year.
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: JohnBeasley on February 15, 2017, 03:27:53 am
Something that has always been on my to do list to see!
Just such an amazing thing of chance!
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 15, 2017, 03:33:40 am
Amazing.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 15, 2017, 03:56:41 am
Very good.
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: francois on February 15, 2017, 04:37:26 am
Completely surreal and beautiful!
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: thierrylegros396 on February 15, 2017, 05:04:43 am
Completely surreal and beautiful!

Outstanding.

Thierry
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on February 15, 2017, 06:43:56 pm
Very well done.

PS: I found a waterfall in Iceland that has potential for this type of effect. Don't have the image yet.
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: maddogmurph on February 20, 2017, 11:22:32 pm
Very well done.

PS: I found a waterfall in Iceland that has potential for this type of effect. Don't have the image yet.

Which one, and what time of year? I'm certain Iceland would be the place to find one like this if there's anywhere in the world... I was thinking to head back to Iceland in August again this year. I love the highlands.

Maddog
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on February 21, 2017, 01:51:15 pm
Which one, and what time of year? I'm certain Iceland would be the place to find one like this if there's anywhere in the world... I was thinking to head back to Iceland in August again this year. I love the highlands.

Maddog

It is an unnamed seasonal waterfall by the cliffs near Brímnes on the Strandir coast.
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: MattBurt on February 22, 2017, 01:58:13 pm
Great photo and something I wanted to see until I saw a shot of all the photographers with tripods jostling for position to shoot it!
Not my scene for landscape or nature photography.
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 22, 2017, 05:51:43 pm
For anyone interested in the history of the real Yosemite Firefall (which ended permanently in 1968), here is an interesting piece:

http://yosemitefirefall.com/yosemite-firefall-glacier-point/ (http://yosemitefirefall.com/yosemite-firefall-glacier-point/)

And for trivia buffs: You can also find out who first photographed the "Natural Firefall" at Horsetail Fall, and when.

Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: MattBurt on February 22, 2017, 06:00:40 pm
Sounds kind of neat but I agree with Hertzog that it's not appropriate for a National Park.
Horsetail Falls lighting up looks amazing and I'd love to see it but I hate crowds.
I'm just too hard to please, I guess. :)
Title: Re: Firefalls
Post by: HSakols on February 22, 2017, 07:45:56 pm
First of all you have a great image of Horsetail Falls. This has been a record winter that is bringing plenty of rain to Yosemite Valley and snow  the higher elevations.  You timed it well in that most of February, or a lot of it, has been cloudy. Prior to the age of social media, Horsetail Falls was not the BIG event it has become.  Unfortunately, during nights of The Event, there becomes a blockage of traffic making the ride out of Yosemite Valley very long!  Still, February can be a wonderful time to photograph Yosemite Valley because of the low angle of the light. And combine that light with a dump of snow and we are in Heaven.